Doutta Stars

Clubs to merge are:
East Keilor and Avondale Heights
West Coburg and Coburg Districts
Hadfield and Northern Saints
Westmeadows, Jacana and Tullamarine
Glenroy and Oak Park
Taylors Lakes and Burnside Heights

This allows for growth in years to come. I could see Craigieburn having 2 teams, Hillside area will expand meaning more teams. Frees up grounds for girls leagues.

No.

There is a hell of a lot of history you're burning with one fell swoop:

Glenroy and Oak Park
Taylors Lakes

No.

There is a hell of a lot of history you're burning with one fell swoop:

Glenroy and Oak Park
Taylors Lakes
Star,

It is just a topic for discussion. I can't see all the current clubs being able to survive at the senior level. Especially since we don't have enough ovals with the growth of the female leagues/teams. No I am not blaming the females.

What are your suggestions in fixing the current issues?

Star,

It is just a topic for discussion. I can't see all the current clubs being able to survive at the senior level. Especially since we don't have enough ovals with the growth of the female leagues/teams. No I am not blaming the females.

Look, I'm conflicted as I'm heavily involved with one club and I don't pretend to have the magic solution but one thing that is absolutely imperative is that it starts from the bottom up. I'm talking Auskick and/or U9 programs (SFC actually has a program for 4 to 6yo that is fully subscribed). Put huge efforts into getting them in early, develop the right culture and retention will take care of itself. Success in terms of premierships is a by-product. Inclusion and development should be the key.

Look, I'm conflicted as I'm heavily involved with one club and I don't pretend to have the magic solution but one thing that is absolutely imperative is that it starts from the bottom up. I'm talking Auskick and/or U9 programs (SFC actually has a program for 4 to 6yo that is fully subscribed). Put huge efforts into getting them in early, develop the right culture and retention will take care of itself. Success in terms of premierships is a by-product. Inclusion and development should be the key.
Throw in a bit of poaching and you can’t go wrong

I personally think that at least Friday and Saturday nights need to be used for playing games. On occasion even Thursday nights. What needs to happen for that is for clubs to upgrade their lights. Those that do, should be offered games even though both teams may not be based there. The increase in canteen and bar takings could help to pay for the lights. That and the EDFL putting their hand in their pocket to help pay or at least loan some money.

I personally think that at least Friday and Saturday nights need to be used for playing games. On occasion even Thursday nights. What needs to happen for that is for clubs to upgrade their lights. Those that do, should be offered games even though both teams may not be based there. The increase in canteen and bar takings could help to pay for the lights. That and the EDFL putting their hand in their pocket to help pay or at least loan some money.

I like the idea but what about senior training Thursday nights. Also a lot of clubs play junior games on Friday night which is a great idea however some clubs who operate a bar Friday night can’t do both due to no alcohol allowed during junior games.
I used to enjoy the odd beer in the rooms following a junior game until some clubs stuffed it up. Why do we change things for certain clubs instead of handing fines out and next incident throw the club out of the league.. Pretty simple. A lot of hero parents at junior games and some idiots involved in offical roles as well.

I personally think that at least Friday and Saturday nights need to be used for playing games. On occasion even Thursday nights. What needs to happen for that is for clubs to upgrade their lights. Those that do, should be offered games even though both teams may not be based there.

You know what would end up happening?

Clubs like keilor and Greenvale would ending up getting the games and that source of revenue as well

We can’t get the council to spend any money on our facilities

I like the idea but what about senior training Thursday nights. Also a lot of clubs play junior games on Friday night which is a great idea however some clubs who operate a bar Friday night can’t do both due to no alcohol allowed during junior games.
I used to enjoy the odd beer in the rooms following a junior game until some clubs stuffed it up. Why do we change things for certain clubs instead of handing fines out and next incident throw the club out of the league.. Pretty simple. A lot of hero parents at junior games and some idiots involved in offical roles as well.
If a senior side plays on a Saturday they can train on a Monday and Wednesday or just on a Tuesday if they play on a Thursday night. Can certainly train twice if playing on a Friday night. The club would need to juggle other teams training.

Junior games should finish by 6.50 on a Friday night so seniors or 19's can start by 7.30 pm.

You know what would end up happening?

Clubs like keilor and Greenvale would ending up getting the games and that source of revenue as well

We can’t get the council to spend any money on our facilities
I was actually thinking thinking of using Windy Hill and Coburg City. The teams would be able to set up BBQ's, coffee vans and a bar each.

If a senior side plays on a Saturday they can train on a Monday and Wednesday or just on a Tuesday if they play on a Thursday night. Can certainly train twice if playing on a Friday night. The club would need to juggle other teams training.

Junior games should finish by 6.50 on a Friday night so seniors or 19's can start by 7.30 pm.

You will find due to restrictions that night games can’t go to late. Night games are good early on but once it gets cold the crowds are not as big. But agree something needs to give..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You will find due to restrictions that night games can’t go to late. Night games are good early on but once it gets cold the crowds are not as big. But agree something needs to give..
Seems I am the only one suggesting ideas. Maybe the EDFL could come up with some.

There needs to be a frank and honest discussion on this issue. Clubs are finding it hard to attract committee members and other volunteers, there are more clubs competing for the sponsorship dollar and some clubs are finding it hard to recruit juniors and if they do the teams are not competitive. I know the 'historical' argument used against merging but on current trends there will be no 'future' for some clubs if the current format does not change.
Star,

discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back