Opinion Should The Adelaide Scoreboard Be Moved

Do You want the Adelaide Scoreboard relocated to erect another stand

• Yes - Add another Stand, make the ground complete, relocate Scoreboard - rip those bloody trees out

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • No - We retain the Scoreboard, and not erect another stand - retain those Moreton Bay Fig Trees

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
1635982503366.png

My opinion as a traditionalist is that many of the worlds GREAT events are such because of the traditions of those events :

Wimbledon

St Andrews

Augusta National

The Adelaide Oval has a long tradition as a unique ground .....in fact when the renovations were complete for the new Adelaide Oval, it was the tradition that was admired .....its uniqueness retained

The scoreboard, trees and cathedral are central to that uniqueness

But modernism requires that all stadia look the same .....cram as many people for commercial benefit ....and this debate has poked its head up ONLY because Perth got the Grand Final .....no other reason

So do you want to be like every other stadium .....or do you want to retain so historical traditions & be sat alongside the other great traditional showpieces

I'd look at trying to design a stand that keeps the scoreboard and the trees as a first option. Could even have removable seating in front of the board so cricket fans can stand there in summer. Winter should be fully seated, avoid mud etc
If that isn't possible, relocate the board to accommodate the stand. Trees an optional retain.
Its not a matter of if, it's when. If the AFL do start rotating the grand final every few years and this is a condition to host it (which would be likely), then it will be sooner rather than later. Not that I expect the VFL to do that of course.

I'd look at trying to design a stand that keeps the scoreboard and the trees as a first option. Could even have removable seating in front of the board so cricket fans can stand there in summer. Winter should be fully seated, avoid mud etc
If that isn't possible, relocate the board to accommodate the stand. Trees an optional retain.
Its not a matter of if, it's when. If the AFL do start rotating the grand final every few years and this is a condition to host it (which would be likely), then it will be sooner rather than later. Not that I expect the VFL to do that of course.
This was suggested .....a good architect could design a stand around keeping the mound, scoreboard and trees .....god only knows how that could happen

The Old Scoreboard is complete shite - let’s face it, nobody looks at it for the scores. It’d be happy to bulldoze it, but would accept it being moved to University or Karen Rolton ovals. While I’d prefer a large new multi-tiered northern stand, I would accept a hill as an interim measure that’s more than just the existing small mound.

FFS, almost a quarter of the arena is currently wasted. At least make the hill steeper and much with some shade structures towards the back. Ideally you’d retain the big exotic weeds that are farcically heritage listed, but not at the expense of an appropriately sized spectator area.

But it’s all hypothetical and the chance of anything happening is zero - this is Adelaide after all where progress is feared, particularly by SACA and the ACC (accept for their love of ugly skinny overly tall budget apartment towers next to true heritage buildings).

The Old Scoreboard is complete sh*te - let’s face it, nobody looks at it for the scores. It’d be happy to bulldoze it, but would accept it being moved to University or Karen Rolton ovals. While I’d prefer a large new multi-tiered northern stand, I would accept a hill as an interim measure that’s more than just the existing small mound.

FFS, almost a quarter of the arena is currently wasted. At least make the hill steeper and much with some shade structures towards the back. Ideally you’d retain the big exotic weeds that are farcically heritage listed, but not at the expense of an appropriately sized spectator area.

But it’s all hypothetical and the chance of anything happening is zero - this is Adelaide after all where progress is feared, particularly by SACA and the ACC (accept for their love of ugly skinny overly tall budget apartment towers next to true heritage buildings).
Let’s pull down St Peters Cathedral while we’re there. Bit of an eyesore really :cool:

Pick the scoreboard up and relocate it to somewhere on the outer side of the grandstands.. maybe above one of the entrances.. and keep using it to display current scores..

Theres no way you take it away from AO altogether.
Would the SACCA ever agree to relocating the scoreboard anyway ......would start another Footy v Cricket War

So does anyone care about the Morton Bay Fig Trees ......in my experience they're more synonymous with AO than the scoreboard

The Old Scoreboard is complete sh*te - let’s face it, nobody looks at it for the scores. It’d be happy to bulldoze it, but would accept it being moved to University or Karen Rolton ovals. While I’d prefer a large new multi-tiered northern stand, I would accept a hill as an interim measure that’s more than just the existing small mound.

Moreton Bays arent weeds.. they are an Aussie native.

they just arent native to SA.. they are an east coast/lord howe species.

bit harsh calling them a weed!

Ideally you’d retain the big exotic weeds that are farcically heritage listed,
If the Morton Bay Fig Trees are Heritage Listed .....that'll make it very hard

I assume you can't trim back either under the protection order .....this is good :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1273773

My opinion as a traditionalist is that many of the worlds GREAT events are such because of the traditions of those events :

Wimbledon

St Andrews

Augusta National

The Adelaide Oval has a long tradition as a unique ground .....in fact when the renovations were complete for the new Adelaide Oval, it was the tradition that was admired .....its uniqueness retained

The scoreboard, trees and cathedral are central to that uniqueness

But modernism requires that all stadia look the same .....cram as many people for commercial benefit ....and this debate has poked its head up ONLY because Perth got the Grand Final .....no other reason

So do you want to be like every other stadium .....or do you want to retain so historical traditions & be sat alongside the other great traditional showpieces
That Sloane over must have been interesting!

1/26 of 6 balls!

I'd look at trying to design a stand that keeps the scoreboard and the trees as a first option. Could even have removable seating in front of the board so cricket fans can stand there in summer.
Agreed. Hill is fine for atmosphere at the footy but is ******* hopeless for actually watching the game.

There is no official botanical significance of the term "weed".

A "weed" is just a plant in the wrong place.

It's reasonably fair to call them weeds here (though I personally wouldn't).
True..

but you wouldnt exactly class the moreton bay as a prolific seeder that is noxious and damaging to the natural/native environment… unlike say, the Olive.

Doesn't Adelaide Oval only get a few sellout crowds a year? Both Showdowns, maybe a final, and that's it?

You'd be lucky to get over 50k to any cricket match there except the Ashes
And think of all the extra money Port would need to spend on tarps if there were more seats to over up.

No way should the Scoreboard or trees be removed. Who wants a concrete generic stadium, when we have the perfect outlook now. If the capacity needs to be increased, I believe the SACA have plans to extend the Members' stand.

I can remember people wanting the northern stand at Footy Park so as to increase capacity, but once it was finished I'm not sure the stadium was often full to the brim, especially with Port games.

Doesn't Adelaide Oval only get a few sellout crowds a year? Both Showdowns, maybe a final, and that's it?

You'd be lucky to get over 50k to any cricket match there except the Ashes

Even though the matchday tickets are not always being sold out, the club still has an extensive waiting list for reserve seat memberships.

This has been a problem since Footy Park and sadly was never addressed when Adelaide Oval was redeveloped.

I've been arguing for 65k since day dot and the reason I've been arguing for it is because being stuck at a 50k capacity ground has financially disadvantaged the club in terms of lost membership sales for decades and also restricts the club from being able to grow.

Back