Opinion Should The Adelaide Scoreboard Be Moved

Do You want the Adelaide Scoreboard relocated to erect another stand

• Yes - Add another Stand, make the ground complete, relocate Scoreboard - rip those bloody trees out

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • No - We retain the Scoreboard, and not erect another stand - retain those Moreton Bay Fig Trees

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A guaranteed seat every week in the same location is the key. And they are sold out. and limited in number,
Increase the stadium size and more can be sold, which at the end of the day works better for the crows.

why do you feel the need to tell me stuff that my posts clearly show that I already know? Or is your comprehension that poor?

why do you feel the need to tell me stuff that my posts clearly show that I already know? Or is your comprehension that poor?
Guess that works 2 ways, why do you feel the need to continue with the discussion then,
All I have mentioned is increasing the size of the oval allow for more members and benefits the Crows.
You just seem intent on creating an issue.

I think there will be a time when we will build a new Western Stand at a similar height to the Eastern Stand, which can also be extended to the North increasing the capacity to around 60K.

However, at the moment it's not warranted as we rarely need more seats... & the Western Stand is not outdated.

Don't have much to add other than that in my regular seat (bay 131) looking at the Western Stand/Hill is far less epic then when I have sit near the away cheer squad looking at the riverbank/eastern stand. Looks absolutely epic.

I'd like them to redevelop the members stand and look for a way to build the northern end, possibly retaining the scoreboard.

Old and crappy pics but here's my regular seat view round our first AO home game in 2014:

1636892795216.png

2017 Qualifying final against GWS

1636892909112.png

Don't have much to add other than that in my regular seat (bay 131) looking at the Western Stand/Hill is far less epic then when I have sit near the away cheer squad looking at the riverbank/eastern stand. Looks absolutely epic.

I'd like them to redevelop the members stand and look for a way to build the northern end, possibly retaining the scoreboard.

Old and crappy pics but here's my regular seat view round our first AO home game in 2014:

View attachment 1280250

2017 Qualifying final against GWS

View attachment 1280251

Both views look pretty fantastic to me

Are we seriously calling Adelaide Oval subpar?

For footy - yes.

Important things for me (in no particular order) going to watch an AFL game.
  • How easy is the ground to get to - location (close to CBD) and public transport.
  • How easy is it to get in and out - number of gates and patron flow.
  • View of the entire playing surface from my seat.
  • Amenities - toilets, bars and food.
  • The actual content of whats happening on the oval.

Unimportant things for me (in no particular order) going to watch an AFL game.
  • Being able to look out to the parklands and admire the trees.
  • Being able to see an out of date scoreboard that is next to useless for the game I'm watching.
  • Being able to see grass on a hill, which I can't see anyway by the time the game starts (for Crows games at least)

It seems I'm in the vast minority that puts looking at trees outside the ground and being able to see an outdated scoreboard as important issues.

I can understand when watching cricket its nice having things to look at as there's so much down time during the game and the scoreboard is good as you can see all the batting and bowling sides details in a glance.

I can't say I've been to Optus, the SCG or MCG and thought "this ground is soul less" I yearn for the old days when I could see their old scoreboards and watch a few trees swaying in the breeze.

Bit like how the Powah fans bang on about their pre-game rubbish - the game is the important thing and as long as the venue ticks off on the top list I'm a happy camper.

How many people with thoughts on the hill have watched a big night game on it (pre COVID obviously).

Was there for the GWS QF and Kangaroos EF and it was electric fun. Experience you don't get anywhere else in an increasingly sanatized AFL. Be a shame to lose it.

Been on the hill plenty of times, was there in particular for the second showdown of 2018, atmosphere was amazing in a unique kind of way you wouldn’t get in a grandstand. Yes, the view is worse, however you lose that atmosphere, I’d say the majority of people that choose to stand on the hill instead of getting seats do so for that reason. It’s a really fun experience that we shouldn’t get rid of just because it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

For footy - yes.

Important things for me (in no particular order) going to watch an AFL game.
  • How easy is the ground to get to - location (close to CBD) and public transport.
  • How easy is it to get in and out - number of gates and patron flow.
  • View of the entire playing surface from my seat.
  • Amenities - toilets, bars and food.
  • The actual content of whats happening on the oval.

Unimportant things for me (in no particular order) going to watch an AFL game.
  • Being able to look out to the parklands and admire the trees.
  • Being able to see an out of date scoreboard that is next to useless for the game I'm watching.
  • Being able to see grass on a hill, which I can't see anyway by the time the game starts (for Crows games at least)

It seems I'm in the vast minority that puts looking at trees outside the ground and being able to see an outdated scoreboard as important issues.

I can understand when watching cricket its nice having things to look at as there's so much down time during the game and the scoreboard is good as you can see all the batting and bowling sides details in a glance.

I can't say I've been to Optus, the SCG or MCG and thought "this ground is soul less" I yearn for the old days when I could see their old scoreboards and watch a few trees swaying in the breeze.

Bit like how the Powah fans bang on about their pre-game rubbish - the game is the important thing and as long as the venue ticks off on the top list I'm a happy camper.

• How easy is the ground to get to - location (close to CBD) and public transport. No issue for Adelaide Oval. You can't be serious in thinking Adelaide Oval is not conveniently located. It's walking distance from buses, trains, and trams, and is closer to the CBD than most other major stadiums in the country.
  • How easy is it to get in and out - number of gates and patron flow. Never had an issue getting in or out of the ground. Sure, the SMA could have bag free express lanes from the moment the gates open (instead of occasionally having them open at the last minute), but that's a ground operator issue, not an issue with the stadium itself.
  • View of the entire playing surface from my seat. There isn't a bad seat at the ground.
  • Amenities - toilets, bars and food. Plenty of options at the ground
  • The actual content of whats happening on the oval. Nothing to do with the oval design itself.
With all of the reason you've listed why Adelaide Oval is subpar being debunked, what other reasons do you think Adelaide Oval is subpar.

Been on the hill plenty of times, was there in particular for the second showdown of 2018, atmosphere was amazing in a unique kind of way you wouldn’t get in a grandstand. Yes, the view is worse, however you lose that atmosphere, I’d say the majority of people that choose to stand on the hill instead of getting seats do so for that reason. It’s a really fun experience that we shouldn’t get rid of just because it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

The northern end is a unique viewing experience. Even in the seats down front the atmosphere from the hill makes for an entertaining experience even in the seats.

• How easy is the ground to get to - location (close to CBD) and public transport. No issue for Adelaide Oval. You can't be serious in thinking Adelaide Oval is not conveniently located. It's walking distance from buses, trains, and trams, and is closer to the CBD than most other major stadiums in the country.
  • How easy is it to get in and out - number of gates and patron flow. Never had an issue getting in or out of the ground. Sure, the SMA could have bag free express lanes from the moment the gates open (instead of occasionally having them open at the last minute), but that's a ground operator issue, not an issue with the stadium itself.
  • View of the entire playing surface from my seat. There isn't a bad seat at the ground.
  • The actual content of whats happening on the oval. Nothing to do with the oval design itself.
With all of the reason you've listed why Adelaide Oval is subpar being debunked, what other reasons do you think Adelaide Oval is subpar.

You must be a basketballer, I'm over 6 foot and whilst I have an OK view when standing on the hill its not the best for viewing the whole oval - great atmosphere though. When I take my dad he won't do the hill anymore.

Do you try and get a drink at quarter and half times? The line up is horrendous (even those trying to move past the bars and food stalls can hardly pass) under the Eastern stand - between the bars and the back of the ground level seats, not nearly wide enough.

Other newer stadiums are much better laid out for getting around within the ground and for getting food and drink.

AO was a compromised design, keeping the scoreboard, trees and another 20m of parklands adds nothing for me, I can understand it is important for others - but it's just not my cup of tea for footy games.

The northern end is a unique viewing experience. Even in the seats down front the atmosphere from the hill makes for an entertaining experience even in the seats.
There is an argument for a bigger better hill. All they did in the redevelopment was to add some facilities to the rear. The convenient Scoreboard bar and shading from the trees is more important to the mysticism of the northern hill than the viewing experience.

Apart from sun in the eyes, the view was much better from the old south eastern hill which is now mostly under the Southern Stand.

How many people with thoughts on the hill have watched a big night game on it (pre COVID obviously).

Was there for the GWS QF and Kangaroos EF and it was electric fun. Experience you don't get anywhere else in an increasingly sanatized AFL. Be a shame to lose it.
I've only been on it once
The Phil Walsh Showdown

Was a good atmosphere that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the patron flow exit side of things.
I've never had an issue from the redeveloped parts
But I have done the Western Stand for a few games.

Getting out of the Western Stand after a sold out game is an absolute nightmare. Leaving post 2019 AFLw GF is the 2nd worst experience I've had trying to exit a stadium behind a mid-redevelopment SCG in 2012.

Also, there are some bad seats at the ground. This years Port Showdown, I did the roof climb. But you need to buy a ticket to enter the ground to do it. So what did I do? I grabbed the cheapest I could find (restricted view) I was expecting a little bit of an obstruction. Well, I couldn't see 1/3 of the ground due to the foundations of the 2nd level on the Eastern Wing. And then the overhang blocks the view of all the tv screens. Admittedly, i didnt care as I was up on the roof for 3 quarters, and after about 10 minutes into the 4th my friends a few bays over (who did the roof climb with me) messaged me saying they wanted to leave due to dealing with c***s in their area. But yeah, there are some absolute horror seats (I think front few rows near aisleways in the grand stand are some due to the height of the handbar at the base of the aisleways - I remember some saying this right after it opened.)

You must be a basketballer, I'm over 6 foot and whilst I have an OK view when standing on the hill its not the best for viewing the whole oval - great atmosphere though. When I take my dad he won't do the hill anymore.

Do you try and get a drink at quarter and half times? The line up is horrendous (even those trying to move past the bars and food stalls can hardly pass) under the Eastern stand - between the bars and the back of the ground level seats, not nearly wide enough.

Other newer stadiums are much better laid out for getting around within the ground and for getting food and drink.

AO was a compromised design, keeping the scoreboard, trees and another 20m of parklands adds nothing for me, I can understand it is important for others - but it's just not my cup of tea for footy games.

There’s line ups for food and drink at every ground at quarter and half time that spill into the walkway.

There’s line ups for food and drink at every ground at quarter and half time that spill into the walkway.
I sit in the Eastern grand stand (the bay over the main bar on the 500s level)
Pre-covid,I found it was only the main bar at half time with a line.
Food? No issues
Other food/alcohol at the far ends (the mens toilet is right next to these, hence why I know)? No issues

And even the bar at 1/4 and 3/4 time isn't an issue

HOWEVER, during covid, they shut the 2 food/alcohol stalls at the end. So now despite 50% smaller crowds, there's 66% less alcohol outlets, so alcohol is s**t during covid years.
Then you take into account the food stalls, yeah, 50% are shut. However, what's remaining are closing earlier.

the SMA failed South Australians. There was (and still is) zero point in having restrictions at Adelaide Oval. You can contact trace extremely well through resered seating. Yeah, there's 50% less people there, but they're being filtered into 50% less space. So the density is still the same of those who do go. So you're getting the same outcome.

I’ve only been on the hill twice at the footy.
One time I had beer spilt on me a couple of times by the drunks behind us and the other time a fight broke out behind us.
Strong pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keep it as it is. If there's ever a need for a 60K crowd, erect a temporary stand, as they did back in the 60's...at the North Western corner possibly... (although I don't know how long it would take to do so, nor any potential health and safety impacts).

Keep it as it is. If there's ever a need for a 60K crowd, erect a temporary stand, as they did back in the 60's...at the North Western corner possibly... (although I don't know how long it would take to do so, nor any potential health and safety impacts).

You'd imagine less health and safety risks but combined with significantly less acceptance of risk.

View attachment 1273773

My opinion as a traditionalist is that many of the worlds GREAT events are such because of the traditions of those events :

Wimbledon

St Andrews

Augusta National

The Adelaide Oval has a long tradition as a unique ground .....in fact when the renovations were complete for the new Adelaide Oval, it was the tradition that was admired .....its uniqueness retained

The scoreboard, trees and cathedral are central to that uniqueness

But modernism requires that all stadia look the same .....cram as many people for commercial benefit ....and this debate has poked its head up ONLY because Perth got the Grand Final .....no other reason

So do you want to be like every other stadium .....or do you want to retain so historical traditions & be sat alongside the other great traditional showpieces
Yep its time to finish the half built stadium. How good would the stadium be as a completed stadium and a capacity of 65k. What we have now is ridiculous.

Yep its time to finish the half built stadium. How good would the stadium be as a completed stadium and a capacity of 65k. What we have now is ridiculous.
The hill gives a unique atmosphere. Not sure I'm all that keen on it going. The half open end also makes the other end more imposing and impressive.
Copy it at the hill end and if loses that.

I was a supporter of building a new stadium, and retaining Adelaide Oval as a boutique cricket ground.
Once the decision was made to rebuild AO, it should have been done properly, not the half-finished stadium we now have. The charm was lost at that point.

Move the scoreboard to Karen Rolton Oval where it can be visible at all times and from West Tce/Port Rd. It will likely become even more iconic as a result.

Build a proper stand at the Northern end rather than the toilet seat we have now.

I was a supporter of building a new stadium, and retaining Adelaide Oval as a boutique cricket ground.
Once the decision was made to rebuild AO, it should have been done properly, not the half-finished stadium we now have. The charm was lost at that point.

Move the scoreboard to Karen Rolton Oval where it can be visible at all times and from West Tce/Port Rd. It will likely become even more iconic as a result.

Build a proper stand at the Northern end rather than the toilet seat we have now.

For the last time. The stadium is not half finished.

I’ve always been an advocate for retaining the figs, hill, scoreboard etc but eventually they will have to go. As other stadia get upgraded/built, there is a greater likelihood that Adelaide Oval will miss more and more major events, especially test matches and major ODI/T20 tournaments. Once the Gabba is upgraded for the Olympics AO may slip to no 5 behind the MCG,SCG, Optus and the Gabba. 4 test series like v India could see us kiss out.

It will eventually need to be upgraded to 65,000 or so to keep up with other stadia Australia wide and not lose out when bidding for major events.

Back