Opinion Should The Adelaide Scoreboard Be Moved

Do You want the Adelaide Scoreboard relocated to erect another stand

• Yes - Add another Stand, make the ground complete, relocate Scoreboard - rip those bloody trees out

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • No - We retain the Scoreboard, and not erect another stand - retain those Moreton Bay Fig Trees

Votes: 55 63.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve always been an advocate for retaining the figs, hill, scoreboard etc but eventually they will have to go. As other stadia get upgraded/built, there is a greater likelihood that Adelaide Oval will miss more and more major events, especially test matches and major ODI/T20 tournaments. Once the Gabba is upgraded for the Olympics AO may slip to no 5 behind the MCG,SCG, Optus and the Gabba. 4 test series like v India could see us kiss out.

It will eventually need to be upgraded to 65,000 or so to keep up with other stadia Australia wide and not lose out when bidding for major events.

There's always going to be 5-6 tests across the summer (unless there's a pandemic going on). Adelaide is a pretty safe bet to host tests well into the future.

Also, the Gabba is only going to have a capacity of around 50k for the Olympics, which will still make Adelaide Oval the larger venue even if no increase in capacity is made in the next decade.

There's always going to be 5-6 tests across the summer (unless there's a pandemic going on). Adelaide is a pretty safe bet to host tests well into the future.

Also, the Gabba is only going to have a capacity of around 50k for the Olympics, which will still make Adelaide Oval the larger venue even if no increase in capacity is made in the next decade.
Majority of series have been 4 matches. Even if the Gabba is only increased to 50,000 it’s close enough in capacity to challenge Adelaide Oval for major matches.

Majority of series have been 4 matches. Even if the Gabba is only increased to 50,000 it’s close enough in capacity to challenge Adelaide Oval for major matches.

India’s the only one that currently is a 4 match series. England is 5. The rest are 2-3 (where we get 2 countries here for series). Adelaide isn’t losing out for matches anytime soon.

I would also like to point out it was Perth that missed out last summer despite having a shiny new stadium.

Adelaide oval won’t be missing out on a test anytime soon, due to standard capacity or because of the stadium itself.

While we're at it will we be ploughing salt into Victoria Square? Rolling the Malls Balls off the Glenelg Jetty?

I’ve always been an advocate for retaining the figs, hill, scoreboard etc but eventually they will have to go. As other stadia get upgraded/built, there is a greater likelihood that Adelaide Oval will miss more and more major events, especially test matches and major ODI/T20 tournaments. Once the Gabba is upgraded for the Olympics AO may slip to no 5 behind the MCG,SCG, Optus and the Gabba. 4 test series like v India could see us kiss out.

It will eventually need to be upgraded to 65,000 or so to keep up with other stadia Australia wide and not lose out when bidding for major events.
2020/21 - 4 vs India (Adelaide match 1)
2019/20 - 2 vs Pakistan (Adelaide match 2), 3 vs New Zealand
2018/19 - 4 vs India (Adelaide match 1), 2 vs Sri Lanka
2017/18 - 5 vs England (Adelaide match 2)
2016/17 - 3 vs South Africa (Adelaide match 3), 3 vs Pakistan
2015/16 - 3 vs New Zealand (Adelaide match 3), 3 vs West Indies
2014/15 - 4 vs India (Adelaide match 1)
2013/14 - 5 vs England (Adelaide match 2)
2012/13 - 3 vs South Africa (Adelaide match 2), 3 vs Sri Lanka
2011/12 - 2 vs New Zealand, 4 vs India (Adelaide match 4)
2010/11 - 5 vs England (Adelaide match 2)
2009/10 - 3 vs West Indies (Adelaide match 2), 3 vs Pakistan
2008/09 - 2 vs New Zealand (Adelaide match 2), 3 vs South Africa
2007/08 - 2 vs Sri Lanka, 4 vs India (Adelaide match 4)
2006/07 - 5 vs England (Adelaide match 2)
2005/06 - 1 vs The World, 3 vs West Indies (Adelaide match 3), 3 vs South Africa
2004/05 - 2 vs New Zealand (Adelaide match 2), 3 vs Pakistan

Do you want me to keep on going?
Last time Adelaide didn't host a game in the summer was the 1969/70 summer. And that's because there was no test cricket at all that year that summer.
The last summer Australia hosted a series in which Adelaide had no part in was 1887-88

We'll never lose an Ashes test
We MIGHT lose an India test, but it could also be Perth or still even Brisbane, and there's still be another lesser series that summer which we would still get.
And the summer not involving those 2? doesnt really matter which we get. But we still get someone.

Just having a look at all Australia-India series
47-48 - 5 games, Perth misses out (Melbourne had 2 games)
67-68 - 4 games, Perth misses out
77-78 - 5 games
80-81 - 3 games, Brisbane and Perth miss out
85-86 - 3 games, Brisbane and Perth miss out
91-92 - 5 games
99-00 - 3 games, Brisbane and Perth miss out
03-04 - 4 games, Perth misses out
07-08 - 4 games, Brisbane misses out
11-12 - 4 games, Brisbane misses out
14-15 - 4 games, Perth misses out
18-19 - 4 games, Brisbane misses out
20-21 - 4 games, Perth misses out

Going Day/Night gave Adelaide such a boost in crowd that it's still in the clear #3 in the calendar (Heck, one could argue it's #2 behind Sydney in the years Melbourne doesn't see England - Look at the whole test crowds, 2019 - 80k on Day 1, avg of 40k the next 3. 2018 - 75k day 1, 25k avg the next 4)

However, if Brisbane does get a healthy increase in crowds, I wouldn't be shocked if we miss out on India once every 3 tours (each of us/Brissie/Perth see them 2 out of every 3 tours)

Though, tbh, I would love us to aim for a 6 game summer every year

Year 1 - 5 vs England, 1 vs Bangladesh
Year 2 - 4 vs India, 2 vs New Zealand
Year 3 - 3 vs South Africa, 3 vs Sri Lanka
Year 4 - 5 vs England, 1 vs Bangladesh
Year 5 - 4 vs India, 2 vs New Zealand
Year 6 - 3 vs Pakistan, 3 vs West Indies

And just keep that rotation going
So over 6 years
10 vs England
8 vs India
4 vs New Zealand
3 vs Sri Lanka, South Africa, West Indies, Pakistan
2 vs Bangladesh
6 in Adelaide
6 in Brisbane
6 in Melbourne
6 in Perth
6 in Sydney
3 in Canberra
3 in Hobart

Then if we want to against Ireland, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan. They can do what we did in 2003 and 2004 (have a July tour in Darwin/Cairns)

Last edited:
Adelaide Oval is daylight ahead of Perth and Brisbane with regards to Cricket, regardless of capacities. Perth and Brisbane people don't show up to Test matches.

Given neither Port or the Crows get anywhere near 50k on average and the Grand Final is locked away at the MCG forever, there is no point in ripping up the scoreboard and fig trees to fit an extra 8,000 people in.

The Crows need to fix their ticketing system so they get closer to 50k more often and seating is more flexible on a game by game basis. It is too cheap just to buy a season ticket and sit on it and decide whether you want go or not. On any given game, you should be able to enter a bunch of barcodes and be given the opportunity to sit together if there is space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. I tried using it last season, only for the club to say ‘sorry your seat wasn’t sold’

Same thing happened to me when I tried to sell a Detroit Redwings ticket I accidentally bought didn't, didn't end up selling.

I was in Chicago, thought I was buying online a Chicago v Detroit ticket, was really a Chicago @ Detroit ticket 🤣

In the US the away team is listed first, I know this now!

Redo the Western stand to make it as high as the other two if not higher to alleviate the eastern stand patrons in summer not having to broil with the afternoon sun beating down on them. Extend it around until almost at the scoreboard. Not a total remodel but would be enough to fit another 5-10k in to make it 60.

Yeah. It's a point of difference.
Yes capacity could be increased but does Adelaide really have the population to warrant a 65k stadium?
There could be a combination smaller stand installed to add 10k, I wouldn't be opposed to that. Close up the gaps between East and West stand and have a stand over the fig trees and hill incorporating the score board.

I don't think anyone has disputed the ground (hill/scoreboard) are great and suitable for cricket. So much time with nothing happening = good opportunity to admire the hill/trees/cathedral/vintage scoreboard etc.

Totally different kettle of fish for footy, when the game is on I don't have time to gaze about looking at the venue and at the quarter time breaks I'm off to the loo or buying a beer.

But anyway I couldn't give two hoots about cricket, this is BigFOOTY and we are on the AFC board, the hill and scoreboard are NOT whats best for watching footy - the hill in winter and a largely irrelevant scoreboard have no place in a modern venue for footy.

Plus another grandstand would allow more 11 game season ticket holders which is better for the AFC.

But I'm sure today we will have someone say "OMG how good is this ground, can't believe anyone wants to get rid of the hill and scoreboard".

Well durr, its great for cricket, come back in the middle of winter with the hill soaked/turned to mush and the big lump of a scoreboard doing nothing.

I don't think anyone has disputed the ground (hill/scoreboard) are great and suitable for cricket. So much time with nothing happening = good opportunity to admire the hill/trees/cathedral/vintage scoreboard etc.

Totally different kettle of fish for footy, when the game is on I don't have time to gaze about looking at the venue and at the quarter time breaks I'm off to the loo or buying a beer.

But anyway I couldn't give two hoots about cricket, this is BigFOOTY and we are on the AFC board, the hill and scoreboard are NOT whats best for watching footy - the hill in winter and a largely irrelevant scoreboard have no place in a modern venue for footy.

Plus another grandstand would allow more 11 game season ticket holders which is better for the AFC.

But I'm sure today we will have someone say "OMG how good is this ground, can't believe anyone wants to get rid of the hill and scoreboard".

Well durr, its great for cricket, come back in the middle of winter with the hill soaked/turned to mush and the big lump of a scoreboard doing nothing.
It's unbelievable for watching football too and has about a million times better atmosphere than Footy Park which had the supposedly coveted grandstands all the way around

It's unbelievable for watching football too and has about a million times better atmosphere than Footy Park which had the supposedly coveted grandstands all the way around
Football Park was never fully completed if you look at the original plans. Had everything been done as per the original plans we’d still be playing there and this discussion would be moot.

Football Park was never fully completed if you look at the original plans. Had everything been done as per the original plans we’d still be playing there and this discussion would be moot.
It was there for 40 years

Games with few seats filled makes for sh*te atmosphere. sh*te atmosphere = fewer people wanting to go.

Packed stadiums obviously comes with some problems re availability and pricing (can be regulated to an extent), but imo the negatives of oversized stadiums outweigh this.
Are you recommending the use of tarps 🤣

Footy Park was a horrible design, same as Waverley with not enough "slope" to the seating = to spread out/too far from the action makes for a poor atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong Adelaide Oval is great for watchin footy, at least the parts that are finished:D

Back