Should the AFL Abolish the Coin Toss before the Centre Bounce ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
OK, I know it's a tradition and the anticipation of the result is good theatre but it's unpredictable and whilst most of the time conditions are such that it doesn't matter which team wins the toss very occasionally there is an aberration in the weather and one end is favoured by the breeze....as a result the outcome of a match may depend on which team wins the toss.

It's outrageous in these days of elite professional sport that AFL teams have to cope the implications of a completely random event such as the result of a coin toss. Surely the AFL must do something to create an absolutely level playing field so the result is not simply determined by a chance outcome.

Admittedly no one can control the outcome of the toss of the coin so it falls to one of the captains to make a guess. Wow, a guess ! A guess then can become a highly influential factor in the result of a game! Amazing, a completely random event which nobody can control can influence the game so significantly.

This is even worse than the bounce !!....at least we can fix the bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's outrageous in these days of elite professional sport that AFL teams have to cope the implications of a completely random event such as the result of a coin toss. Surely the AFL must do something to create an absolutely level playing field so the result is not simply determined by a chance outcome.

I've been around here a while now, but I'm not sure I've seen as big an overreaction to something as the above.

Wow.

Well, I've always found the kicking of the ball around the middle of the ground to be tedious and wholly unnecessary. What we all want to see are goals kicked. So I propose we shorten the ground, paint a circle in the middle and have players from each team alternately have shots at goal. Every player gets one go, and the highest tally wins. Start the game at 1:45 and we could all be at the pub by 2:30.

Simples.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back