Should the AFL ban alcohol sponsorship?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather they ban gambling advertising.

on that note, is there a lot less of it this year?

and i don't mean during the commercials, because i'm continuously tempted to put $5 on "pick the ladder", but during the game, with Bruce saying things like "well the odds that such and such will win from here are now ..."

or were these types of things banned last year and i didn't notice? Or are they still happening this year and i've managed to tune them out?

To those saying it wouldn't do anything...

The banning of cigarette advertising had a massive impact on smoking rates.

Don't necessarily agree with the call for a ban, just hoping we can have an informed discussion...:rainbow:

Do you have evidence to back this up? I'd genuinely like to know if it had a "massive impact"

No matter how much they advertise carlton mid strength at subiaco I'm still not gonna buy it. In fact I wouldn't drink it if it was free.
I liked your post.
If I could have loved it I would have :)

Got me completely and absolutely stumped why anyone spends money on such a s**t product.

I can understand how gambling ads could get young ones in so have no qualms about banning those.
I drink a lot of red wine - none of which gets advertised. I drink it anyway.
Bourbon and coke ads will never sway me.
Bourbon on ice might!!
You could go on forever.

Alcohol ads will only work to sway a drinker to try one brand over another.

Do you have evidence to back this up? I'd genuinely like to know if it had a "massive impact"

Check this out;

http://www.tobaccoinaustralia.org.au/11-1-the-merits-of-banning-tobacco-advertising#x6.

Advertising/marketing was on of the topics of a subject I did in first year uni. My memory of the impact was a bit off...massive was an overstatement, although I'd be more than comfortable saying significant. In developing countries the impact is much higher, that's probably where I got :confused:...

Just to add, I've worked on the 'frontline' with alcohol consumption for years, in all sorts of venues....

I strongly believe we (generally) have a problem with booze...just can't seem to be mature about it.

This is a deep-seated cultural thing, and I reckon advertising is way down the list of things to fix...a discussion can't hurt but...

I live in Spain, and beer / spirit companies are not allowed to sponsor sport. (Although they are allowed to advertise 0% beer - Mahou Sin, for example.)

Drinking over here is much more civilised than in Australia. You don't see drunken brawls in the streets, people vomiting and staggering around blind drunk. People drink responsibly and within their limits. I had some English friends here who had to go to the ER on a Saturday night to get someone stitched up after a mishap. They were worried it would take hours like it would in the UK or Australia where the hospitals are full of busted up drunks on the weekends. They caught a cab to the hospital, got her stitched up, picked up some more beers on the way home and got it all done in 40 minutes.

Point being, the drinking culture in Australia is toxic. This is a cultural thing which needs to be addressed at all levels of society, not just at the football sponsorship level. Stopping alcohol sponsorship won't fix the problem, but it could be a start.

EDIT - not sure if the link to drugs is there, but if people like to get out of their heads on drink then perhaps they like to do the same with drugs.

I have similar anecdotal evidence for Italy.

Large, outdoor crowds of people drinking, a remarkable lack of trouble (by our standards)...and the blind tourists always stand out like dog's balls, the locals just don't seem to get blind like Aussies/Poms/Yanks do...

If the AFL were in any way, shape or form interested in the wellbeing of their patrons/viewers/community, they would cease all alcohol advertisements as soon as practically possible.

Instead we get 'gay pride' and 'womens appreciation' rounds to convince the mouthbreathers' wives and SJWs that the AFL cares about us, as we hand over the $$$ and generation after generation sit through literally thousands of ads which program their subconscious to associate happiness and success with alcohol consumption.

It is sick and twisted in more ways than I care to list but since it is the status quo, and most humans cannot think beyond status quo, I fully appreciate that my views here will see me in the minority on this issue.

There is a lot of truth in this

I'd go one step further however, we should ban the afl and clubs from promoting ice, because it's marketing that is causing the current epidemic

A beer ad doesn't make a single person a drunk.

What else should be banned?

Gambling? sure..

junk food? ok.
soft drinks..they're bad for you too.
cars...destroy the environment and encourage hoons.
toys...enforce stereotypes.

erm....maybe we should just have a list of what's allowed?

Car companies are not allowed to show vehicles doing burnouts or driving recklessly.

Your logic doesn't really make sense

Fast food companies don't show people becoming obese
Alcohol companies don't show people getting drunk
Tabbaco companies don't show people getting lung cancer

People need to Man up & start accepting responsibility for their own actions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL were in any way, shape or form interested in the wellbeing of their patrons/viewers/community, they would cease all alcohol advertisements as soon as practically possible.

Instead we get 'gay pride' and 'womens appreciation' rounds to convince the mouthbreathers' wives and SJWs that the AFL cares about us, as we hand over the $$$ and generation after generation sit through literally thousands of ads which program their subconscious to associate happiness and success with alcohol consumption.

It is sick and twisted in more ways than I care to list but since it is the status quo, and most humans cannot think beyond status quo, I fully appreciate that my views here will see me in the minority on this issue.

It won't be practical until some other industry comes along with wads of cash

As others have alluded to, lets just ban advertising. Where are we going to stop ?

I'd back an advertising ban, then i wouldn't have this ad below tempting me to go to Crown's New Sportsbar.

Taxi

Your logic doesn't really make sense

Fast food companies don't show people becoming obese
Alcohol companies don't show people getting drunk
Tabbaco companies don't show people getting lung cancer

People need to Man up & start accepting responsibility for their own actions
Do you know why companies advertise? Because it works. They obviously don't show the negative sides of their products, because that would be counter productive. Tobacco companies would prefer people didn't know about the negative sides of using their products. The pictures of rotting lungs and diseased hearts on cigarette packets are aimed as much at people who don't smoke (children) as the people already addicted to the products. Alcohol companies wouldn't show pictures of alcoholics in the parks, or drunk people laying into each other on a Friday night.

Maybe these companies should 'man up' and show all aspects of the uses of their products to give a broader view of what happens in the real world.

When you promote fast food, gambling, and alcohol alongside sport, people (especially children) make the link. Do you expect children to 'man up' as well?

Do you know why companies advertise? Because it works. They obviously don't show the negative sides of their products, because that would be counter productive. Tobacco companies would prefer people didn't know about the negative sides of using their products. The pictures of rotting lungs and diseased hearts on cigarette packets are aimed as much at people who don't smoke (children) as the people already addicted to the products. Alcohol companies wouldn't show pictures of alcoholics in the parks, or drunk people laying into each other on a Friday night.

Maybe these companies should 'man up' and show all aspects of the uses of their products to give a broader view of what happens in the real world.

When you promote fast food, gambling, and alcohol alongside sport, people (especially children) make the link. Do you expect children to 'man up' as well?

Advertising only helps people choose one brand over another (or over a similar option)

Someone who doesn't drink doesn't suddenly go "I'll buy a vb tonight" just because they watched the cricket

A beer drinker however when making a purchasing decision will more likely have vb in their consideration if the advertising was successful

It's complete bs that advertising can get people to make purchasing decisions against their will.

Advertising only helps people choose one brand over another (or over a similar option)

Someone who doesn't drink doesn't suddenly go "I'll buy a vb tonight" just because they watched the cricket

A beer drinker however when making a purchasing decision will more likely have vb in their consideration if the advertising was successful

It's complete bs that advertising can get people to make purchasing decisions against their will.
In my other post I pointed out that drinking habits in Australia are a cultural issue and that this is a bigger problem.

Advertising does affect people, though, and football is aimed at people of all ages. Children are very susceptible to advertising and marketing. They may not make the purchase, but with products aimed directly at children, the advertisers rely on 'pester power' - the kids nagging the parents to buy the product.

With regards to alcohol, children will make the connection that alcohol and sport go together.

As I said in my other post, I live in Spain. Alcohol advertising is banned at sports and within a certain radius of schools. The Spanish don't have the same types of drinking problems as the British or the Aussies and going out on a Friday night here is far more enjoyable than back at home. I don't suggest that the advertising and drinking habits are directly linked - it goes much deeper than that - but Australians should start having a look at themselves and the way they consume alcohol and as a society, start taking a collective responsibility. The attitude towards drinking and getting drunk in Australia is a bigger problem than advertising.

In my other post I pointed out that drinking habits in Australia are a cultural issue and that this is a bigger problem.

Advertising does affect people, though, and football is aimed at people of all ages. Children are very susceptible to advertising and marketing. They may not make the purchase, but with products aimed directly at children, the advertisers rely on 'pester power' - the kids nagging the parents to buy the product.

With regards to alcohol, children will make the connection that alcohol and sport go together.

As I said in my other post, I live in Spain. Alcohol advertising is banned at sports and within a certain radius of schools. The Spanish don't have the same types of drinking problems as the British or the Aussies and going out on a Friday night here is far more enjoyable than back at home. I don't suggest that the advertising and drinking habits are directly linked - it goes much deeper than that - but Australians should start having a look at themselves and the way they consume alcohol and as a society, start taking a collective responsibility. The attitude towards drinking and getting drunk in Australia is a bigger problem than advertising.

You acknowledge there are bigger issues, and that advertising about kids is for the nag factor (which is irrelevant here), so my question is how does a ban on advertising stop the binge culture?

If anything, it's restrictions on access that make the uk and au have that attitude to drink, and banning promotion would just add to the perception that it's something forbidden and therefore cool

you missed my point

For whatever reason .... the anglo celtic culture has a very long and strong history of alcohol abuse, tracing it in this country back to the rum rebellion and in the UK far far further back.

It is going to take a very big cultural change and take many years.

It's a weird thing. Our town has all theses public meeting about what to do about the ice problem and then we have this massive alcohol culture. Kids aren't stupid they know Mum and Dad drink because it gives them a buzz. Our penchant for getting wacked of our face comes from beer.
Giving alcohol a bad name would help the drug problem in Aus in my humble opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back