Should the AFL introduce a 6 man interchange bench for 2020?

Should the AFL adopt a 6 man interchange bench for the 2020 season?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This was from a few weeks ago but

An investigation by Australian-raised sports scientist Dr Joel Mason, reported by AFL Media, found the top German soccer league - the Bundesliga - saw its injury rate spike by more than three times the usual number since returning.

Now I don't think anyone is suggesting we go to a 6 man interchange bench forever, but I think in 2020 it is something that should be considered due to the fact that despite quarters being shorter, which admittedly should help the fact is that most AFL players have gone from doing a standard 4 month preseason to basically doing a 3 week preseason, meaning their bodies are no where near as ready as they would be after a 4 month preseason and 2 preseason games.

I have seen it discussed a bit on bigfooty but what do people think about a 6 man interchange bench just for 2020, so players don't need to run quite as far during a match and also since injuries are more likely a team will be disadvantaged less if they have multiple injuries in a single game. I personally think that if we do nothing each team is going to have a pretty big injury list come round 5, so if the AFL can do something to relieve the pressures of a players body in these very unusual circumstances then it is something they should do.

What do you think, should there be a 6 man interchange bench in 2020 (with the idea of going back to a 4 man interchange bench in 2021) or should we leave it at 4?

What do you think, should there be a 6 man interchange bench in 2020 (with the idea of going back to a 4 man interchange bench in 2021) or should we leave it at 4?
It is not happening and if it had of , the only sensible suggestion was they both be subs for injuries only as Andrew Russell indicated in interviews last week.

As it is the game is already way shorter in time so players are going to be able to run and hit with more intensity than a normal length game this season due to more interchanges on average per time of play which allows them to be fresher than normal length game. That is likely to lead to more collision type injuries , hammies, knees changing direction at high speed and just general soft tissue injuries. So subs can help in that case, but actual more interchanges just means more players refreshed on ground to go faster and harder up and down the ground into each other , more often....which leads to more injuries in time.

The EPL raised the number for their subs to 5 in a game for this very reason. It will help to reduce the injury rate.

I'm not sure how that would tie in with cap on the number of subs used in a game though.
Remove the cap as well

Back