Should the AFL look outside the square when picking the next CEO?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Since the AFL Commission was formed in 1985, all of the AFL Chairmen/CEOs-from the late Jack Hamilton to Gil McLachlan- have a football background-either as a past player or club administrator- when they got the top job.

Seeing next year's could be McLachlan's last as the 'public face' of the AFL, should the AFL do something radical and get someone from a non-AFL background to head up the league for the next 10 years or more, rather than get someone like Richmond's Benny Gale or Geelong's Brian Cook?

Discuss.

Seeing that the FFA has David Gallop who had a non-football/soccer background (he was previously the CEO of the NRL), I don't see no reason why the AFL should go after a person who has experience heading up sports (ie cricket, rugby league etc) to be the new AFL CEO. And after what happened today at the press conference, I suggest the AFL go down that path.

It won't matter where they look they will only appoint someone who will continue the exact same path the existing one is on.
We will never see a Glen Archer type who will come in and say footy is first and profits are second running the AFL, it will always be some hand picked business man who has a mandate to maximize profits and if it that changes the game further and turns people off it doesn't matter.
Whoever it is will just be another puppet lining his own pockets and will bullshit through his journey he has the game itself at heart.

If I was in charge of finding the next CEO of the AFL, there are three names I’d go after to head up the league-

-Current FFA CEO David Gallop;
-Current Racing NSW CEO Peter V’Landys;
-Former Rugby Australia CEO John O’Neil.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think so. You need a leader that is able to bring an organisational vision and command a high standard of performance. It would almost be better having an outsider looking in to offer different and varying ideas and concepts.

They need to get the job spec right, e.g McLachlan deciding what social positions the code holds.
Its up to the Commission to set the course for the game & the CEO to deliver.

If I was in charge of finding the next CEO of the AFL, there are three names I’d go after to head up the league-

-Current FFA CEO David Gallop;
-Current Racing NSW CEO Peter V’Landys;
-Former Rugby Australia CEO John O’Neil.

You missed Tony Cochrane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing that the FFA has David Gallop who had a non-football/soccer background (he was previously the CEO of the NRL), I don't see no reason why the AFL should go after a person who has experience heading up sports (ie cricket, rugby league etc) to be the new AFL CEO. And after what happened today at the press conference, I suggest the AFL go down that path.
The A league is rotten to the core thanks to Gallop

Out of the three-or 4-candidates (David Gallop, Peter V’Landys, John O’Neil and Tony Cochrane) that are named above, if you were to select one from that group to head up the AFL, who would it be?

I wouldnt touch David Gallop with yours, disaster area IMHO.

V'Landys too full of himself & the limelight.

John O'Neil, be good, might be too old, long time since the ARU days.

I suggested Tony Cochrane based on his work with V8 Supercars, played Govt money off the break, had facilities built, experienced media performer, take no prisoners ... to be honest, like V'Landys, likes his own way.

Who else, how much does the job need to change? As I said earlier the social positioning needs to change, e.g the Commission chair should pull his CEO in over the remarks about Kennett & send him back out to apologise for his unnecessary & unhelpful comments.

Bit of think music for starters outside the game. Was impressed by Ian Robson during his time at the Victory, now with Rowing (I think), strong record including Essendon .

Eddie McGuire.. genuinely loves the game and knows it inside out.

I agree with this but it has also been on Eddies watch that many unnecessary changes have happened to the game that he has not said a word about or tried to fight. Therefor he is just another puppet. He has had the power and the media pull to press the AFL and he has never done it for the game, only for Collingwood. The game itself is the one that needs fixing the clubs are fine.
And if Eddie genuinely loves the game there is no way he would of stood silently as he has for 20 years and not tried to stop some of these ridiculous rule changes.

I agree with this but it has also been on Eddies watch that many unnecessary changes have happened to the game that he has not said a word about or tried to fight. Therefor he is just another puppet. He has had the power and the media pull to press the AFL and he has never done it for the game, only for Collingwood. The game itself is the one that needs fixing the clubs are fine.
And if Eddie genuinely loves the game there is no way he would of stood silently as he has for 20 years and not tried to stop some of these ridiculous rule changes.

Dont think Eddie is the man for the job, but I dont agree with your criticism of his involvement in rule changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back