Politics Should the AFL players boycott like the NBA players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t help but feel sorry for the players who want to play but can’t voice their opinion
Like the one who was called a bitch ass white boy?

Reynolds Number

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Stoke City, Dortmund, San José, As
Absolutely zero respect for the NBA and NFL. None.

Will never watch any games again.

Yeah I'm also very cynical of Le Bron.

Black Lives Matter, but only in certain parts of the world.

EgdB0PiWAAAKEjr.jpeg.jpg

He voiced an opinion about HK that was in poor taste relative to what he thinks his stance is on human rights. He should have kept his mouth shut. He loves the cash cow from that part of the world, where you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Rightly or wrongly, he is going to be viewed as unreliable as a Hollywood celebrity over social justice issues.

Racism and police negligence/misconduct are real issues worth campaigning for, but it's very important to show respect for others and show some proper social awareness.

America is a broken place that will get worse sadly post November. It's good to see human rights problems addressed. I don't think their issues are always Australian issues.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not that long ago there was a black President in office for 8 long years promising Hope & Change, if it was ever going to change for the better it would have been then. Not expecting Trump to be able to bring the country together on this, maybe Dementia Joe can do something if he gets in, not holding my breath though.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
After the horrific death of George Floyd, disaster has struck again...

Jacob Blake was shot multiple times by police.

The NBA players have decided to boycott, demanding change...

Will the AFL players follow suite?
This is sarcasm? you want afl footballers to boycott over a usa social issue? You get its a different country on the other side of the planet right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That appears to have happened with the nba players taking pay cuts with no play-offs games.

It was always going to happen when it hit their hip pocket.

If you believe Skip Bayless (life president of the LeBron haters club) talk of cancelling the season only came about because LeBron threw his toys out of the cot after George Hill and the Bucks stole his thunder by boycotting the Magic game off their own bat before LeBron, CP3 and co had a chance to get a league wide protest going. Once the dust settled they voted to return, because a chance to win a 4th title (for LeBron) and millions of dollars are on the line.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
AFL players are paid an average of $20k, give or take, for each round. There's no chance they would boycott a game over American politics if it cost them $20k.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Different context but Phil Walsh was murdered in 2015 and one game was cancelled. Someone intimately involved in the AFL system died on a Friday morning and that night's game went ahead and his team played the following week.

I really can't see AFL players taking a stand and boycotting games over any social issue here or abroad. Also worth noting that postponing a couple of games in the already shortened NBA season which is normally 82 games + 4 rounds of best of 7 playoffs/finals is a bit different to a 17 (or 22) game AFL season. GWS on 28 points are sandwiched by 5 Victorian sides. Little chance they are going to risk forfeiting a game because something happens in NSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back