Opinion Should the AFL strip the Adelaide Crows of Draft Picks ?

Remove this Banner Ad

For bringing the game into disrepute and endangering the welfare of their players ?

I don't wish to kick the Crows whilst they are doing, but the fallout from the unsavoury events of this camp are reaching Hird/Dank and Essendon levels of controversy and tarring the image of the league.

I personally would let them off with a suspended sentence (draft picks wise), given how bad the state of the list is (I don't wish another club to go through what we did at Carlton after 2002) and the AFL forces everyboard member and high officials at the club (like Riccuito) to fall on their sword..

The supporters and players should not be punished for the foolish actions of their arrogant, moronic administration, I think the league really needs to throw the book at Chapman and his cronies, it's pretty much criminal what they put their players through.
Absoloutly rediculous thread

Is collective minds still in business? Surely noone would hire them now

Clearly never worked in the corporate world. Most would see news reports about this and wonder whether all footballers are pansies.

Psychological bullying is the name of the game. I should know, I have built my career on it.

As reported recently in In Daily News by Tom Richardson

The Adelaide Crows and the AFL could be hauled before state Parliament (that is South Australian State Parliament) to account for the club's notorious 2018 preseason camp, with a motion calling for a committee probe into whether SA workplace laws were breached.
The SA Treasurer who has portfolio oversight of SafeWork SA, told parliament that while the workplace safety body has received no notifications or complaints against the Adelaide Football Club in relation to their preseason camp in 2018, it is looking into the matter. A member of state parliament's Occupational Health and Safety Committee, it appears will notify parliament to request SafeWork SA, AFC and the AFL present to the committee on whether or not workplace laws have been breached at the controversial camp. SafeWork SA Committee members have indicated their support for such a motion. Witnesses could be summoned by parliament to appear if they initially refuse. The AFC declined to comment.

The premiers Department of Premiers and Cabinet CEO, who recently resigned from the Adelaide Crows board, stated "everybody who goes to any work environment should be safe from bullying and intimidation, so I think that there are some genuine concerns about what went on".

As far as I can tell, the employer is the Adelaide Football Club. Collective Minds were hired by the Adelaide Football Club. The Adelaide Football Club who also had coaching staff and football department staff in attendance at the camp to oversee proceedings, are therefore ultimately responsible for what occurred. South Australian SafeWork guidelines also applies to the Adelaide Football Club even though they might hate to admit it. The Australian Football League is also dragged into the mess because they are the governing body, who also have control of the Adelaide Football Club board and who were complicit in the initial coverup. Had the AFL taken AFC to task in 2018, this matter would have been resolved then. The secrecy, the lies and the deceptions have rightly brought all parties to this place. The poster who poster "you reap what you sow "could not have any more correct.

In YOUR workplace, would you consider bullying and intimidation to be acceptable ?
What if it was your daughter's employer, or your son's employer bullying your child ?
Why are people excusing a (so called) professional wealthy sporting body with all the resources it has available ? Why do some people believe it's OK for someone else to have to put up with such appalling circumstances as long as its not them? And what does it say about them as individuals ?

If the matter does go before a parliament committee who adjudicaye that work place guidelines were breached, then fines should apply according to state requirement. As for the governing body's action there are a number of penalties that could be applied but it is the Adelaide Football Club, so it will probably be a suspended suspension just like when 16 players breached the South Australian (and AFL) quarantine/ isolation guidelines/requirements in the Barossa.

Clearly never worked in the corporate world. Most would see news reports about this and wonder whether all footballers are pansies.

Psychological bullying is the name of the game. I should know, I have built my career on it.
Not sure many corporates would pay for a camp like that.

They’re all about pseudo intellectual motivation and inspiration crap.

I did a leadership course when I worked at one of Australia’s biggest energy companies. 2 days a month. For 12 months.
The woman running it got 10k per person. It was incredibly pointless

Companies like this are grifters.

For bringing the game into disrepute and endangering the welfare of their players ?

I don't wish to kick the Crows whilst they are doing, but the fallout from the unsavoury events of this camp are reaching Hird/Dank and Essendon levels of controversy and tarring the image of the league.

I personally would let them off with a suspended sentence (draft picks wise), given how bad the state of the list is (I don't wish another club to go through what we did at Carlton after 2002) and the AFL forces everyboard member and high officials at the club (like Riccuito) to fall on their sword..

The supporters and players should not be punished for the foolish actions of their arrogant, moronic administration, I think the league really needs to throw the book at Chapman and his cronies, it's pretty much criminal what they put their players through.

Ha ha joke thread right. Coz no-one would be stupid enough to start a thread suggesting the AFL has any kind of power over what a club chooses to do within its own ranks, when it in no way contravenes any AFL regulations would they. Yup. Thought so.

Ridiculous. Its not an AFL issue and the only people who really get penalised are the players who get to play the next 5-7 years with no serious prospect of success.

Now, getting WorkCover etc involved to hold the club management and board to account..... that's a different story.

Exactly. The OP is an absolute fricking nuffy. Especially starting this moronic thread with "I don't wish to kick the Crows when they are down...." Ha ha. Yeah right.

Ha ha joke thread right. Coz no-one would be stupid enough to start a thread suggesting the AFL has any kind of power over what a club chooses to do within its own ranks, when it in no way contravenes any AFL regulations would they. Yup. Thought so.

Exactly. The OP is an absolute fricking nuffy. Especially starting this moronic thread with "I don't wish to kick the Crows when they are down...." Ha ha. Yeah right.

No one would be stupid enough to not understand the AFL does have control of the AFC
because the vast majority of the AFC board members were appointed by the AFL (they are not voted by members). Not only is the AFL officiating body required to practice federal and state work place requirements, but so does every club of the organisation. It is "duty of care" and it relates to the relationship between employer and employee, employee and employer.

Starting a thread to discuss what ramifications could apply is not kicking anyone when they are down. People have opinions and are free to express them. Only an entitled , secretive, insular club would not expect a discussion to occur. That wouldn't be the Adelaide Crows by any chance ? Yup. Thought so.

Being an actual club for cucks is punishment enough.

Crows fans: if u need a bull for ur wife hmu xx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

The fallout has lead to the departure of those responsible. That's the only thing that is needed.

Please provide details to substantiate your claim because I may have missed media releases.
How do you know who is responsible?
Where and when has it has been reported that all those responsible for what occurred at the camp have since left the club. The club review that occurred late last year was related to a number of issues with both club administration and on field results but by all reports, was not related to the camp.

The only thing that is needed is a full independent inquiry conducted by SafeWork SA. The players involved at the camp are entitled to that as a minimum and should not expect anything less and neither should the club's supporters. For the club to move onwards and upwards, the matter must be completely addressed and dealt with accordingly. It's about accountability and responsibility to their playing group. Or is that for some reason not rated highly at AFC !

I worked in the corporate world for more than a decade, no way anything like this camp would have occurred. If it did there would have been litigation.

Got to say this whole saga has been incredibly embarrassing.

Those club officials like Mark Ricciuto and Brett Burton did take us to a grand final, but then they also took a grand final club to rock bottom in less than three years. They did so with breaches in confidentiality and facilitating bullying - both completely unacceptable. No wonder the club is in shambles. What else would you expect when the key personnel are severely bullied using private information they trusted the employer with?

Easy for me to say as a supporter that draft pick stripping would not be an appropriate punishment, but it's going to take years to recover from this garbage. The board, CEO and chairman need to go so we can move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back