Should the age of criminal responsibility be raised?

How old should children be before being deemed criminally responsible?

• 10 years only

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 14 years, with 10-14 possible (current law)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 14 years only

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There is currently much discussion occurring about the above topic in legal circles - the federal Attorney-General commissioned an inquiry into it a few months ago and the panel has come back saying basically, yes it should be changed.

Doli incapax is a doctrine in criminal law that says a child cannot commit a crime because they are unable to form the requisite intent. This is based on the assumption that whilst young children may know that certain things are naughty or forbidden, they lack a properly-developed understanding of right and wrong in a moral or reasonable sense.

The law in Australia currently says that doli incapax applies to all children under 10 (who cannot be prosecuted for a crime), and exists as a rebuttable presumption for children aged 10-14. 'Rebuttable presumption' means that the Crown has the opportunity to bring the case to court and try to prove that the child did in fact understand what they were doing. In practice, this bar is not particularly high and prosecutors have generally not had much trouble meeting it.

This is out of step with many countries, who have a flat minimum age of 12 or more. 12 is regarded as the minimum acceptable age by the UN Committee for Rights of the Child.

Advocates in Australia would like us to be brought into line with the rest of the world by making the minimum age a flat 14 - not necessarily because they believe that 14 year olds cannot form intent, but more because they believe that prosecuting a 10-14 year old is not the best way to manage their behaviour. A range of evidence does appear to bear this out.

How do you feel about this proposal?

Personally I am conflicted. There are plenty of examples of children aged 10-14 committing horrendous acts with full knowledge and intent, and it feels wrong that they may escape punishment. However studies make it quite clear that early intervention with troubled kids is critical when it comes to steering them away from a life of crime, and sending them to gaol is one of the worst things you can do.

Last edited:

It should be treated on a case by case method, much like in mental fitness.
I know personally there are 7 years olds out there who will go out of their way to hurt other children and adults.
If they were adults they would certainly be charged with assault.

It is an interesting one. There is a difference between knowing right and wrong from a vague stand point (it's the law) to having I guess a moral/human understanding of doing wrong and acting against it.
By the above reasoning thou you could argue criminals never have formed a fully developed humanist or moral framework to understand right or wrong so shouldn't be prosecuted (not arguing this btw).
Think the question also comes to impulse. Hate to say it but some people are more likely to commit crime. Now a toddler has poor impulse yet an adult needs to have developed.
What age thou? I think round 12 is about right. Hard question thou

Very current examples to focus the mind.

A five-year-old boy was allegedly gang-raped on a beach by other children from a remote Indigenous community on Cape York this month.
Queensland police revealed that four boys — all younger than 13 — were being “dealt with under provisions of the Youth Justice Act” over the alleged rape.

Sexual assault by 14-year-old on woman, 26, caught on CCTV.
Police are examining vision from a CCTV camera in Cairns which recorded the alleged sexual assault of a woman, 26, by a 14-year-old youth.
The European woman, living in Cairns on a work visa, was walking home from a night out when police alleged she was approached by the boy and sexually assaulted behind a business on McLeod St about 1.45am on Saturday.

I think we like locking up Indigenous kids too much for this to happen. Only in Australia would we even be debating this.

Tell that to the victim, they would live in fear of young Johnny waltzing past in the street, let alone when the same kid strutted past as a teenager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In remote communities they are not outliers.
You’d need to link something to show that sexual assault by under-12s is more common than other crimes.

The suggestion is that these are better dealt with in other ways. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that it means the child will experience no consequences.

You’d need to link something to show that sexual assault by under-12s is more common than other crimes.

The suggestion is that these are better dealt with in other ways. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that it means the child will experience no consequences.

I did misread, its the sexual assault of children from parents, family relatives that I was referring to. The Nap case is a horrific outlier.

I have no answers on dealing with juveniles who are committing sexual offences at that age, these remote communities are hell on earth. They go to jail and they will turn into hardened nightmares, go too soft........then they get out again.

I pity at Gough's comment (jumping at shadows), no one wants to go to these places to help, of course they are frightened and concerned of their own personal security.

I did misread, its the sexual assault of children from parents, family relatives that I was referring to. The Nap case is a horrific outlier.

I have no answers on dealing with juveniles who are committing sexual offences at that age, these remote communities are hell on earth. They go to jail and they will turn into hardened nightmares, go too soft........then they get out again.

I pity at Gough's comment (jumping at shadows), no one wants to go to these places to help, of course they are frightened and concerned of their own personal security.
All remote communities are hell on earth that nobody wants to go to to help?

Lots of places don't welcome help from outside their community either, still lots of painful memories from the stolen generation which causes a lot of suspicion of social workers unfortunately.

All remote communities are hell on earth that nobody wants to go to to help?

Plenty have tried, well intentioned .... like the richest poor people in the world as an example:
the-richest-poor-people-on-earth-aurukun-locals-sitting-on-120m-trust-20200708-p55a3p.html

Plenty have tried, well intentioned
Including people I know who have worked in remote communities without fainting or being chased away.

You’re speaking garbage.

Its about criminal responsibility not sentencing. The judiciary having discretion.
It is about whether children from aged 10 to 13 should have their behaviour managed within the criminal justice system or otherwise.

Various recent studies of children aged 10 to 13 in custody indicate:
  • 36% have fetal alcohol spectrum disorder
  • 84% have a psychological disorder
  • 89% have severely impaired neurological development
More than half of children in detention have previously required child protective services.

I completely fail to see how the welfare or future prospects of those children (and the interests of society) are best served by locking them up.

Back