Should the ARU/Tahs chase Cronk

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just wondering if people think the ARU/Tahs should chase him.

Seems a very quick learner and could adapt. Could he be handy for the 2019 world cup? or he is too old?

He is reluctant to play against the Storm so could Rugby Union be an option?

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not at his age. Would also be the wrong message to be sending after just cutting a team for "grassroots" proposes
I hear you on that one yes bad timing. I reckon he could get us very close to winning a world cup if not winning it which would do plenty for the game at grassroots level

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
If he was 5 years younger sure, but at 33 he's too old and too expensive. Even the best code hoppers take at least a season to adapt to the new code and he's one injury away from retirement. He'd be almost 36 at the 2019 world cup.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he was 5 years younger sure, but at 33 he's too old and too expensive. Even the best code hoppers take at least a season to adapt to the new code and he's one injury away from retirement. He'd be almost 36 at the 2019 world cup.
I agree with what your saying except for 1 thing. Cronk has shown himself to be a very quick learner. After Orford left the Storm in 2005 Bellamy said that with Cronk learning the role of half back 2006 would be a rebuiliding year for Storm but Cronk learnt so quickly and Storm almost won the premiership in 2006.

Even if it takes him 12 months he spends 2018 learning he could win usw a world cup in 2019.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree with what your saying except for 1 thing. Cronk has shown himself to be a very quick learner. After Orford left the Storm in 2005 Bellamy said that with Cronk learning the role of half back 2006 would be a rebuiliding year for Storm but Cronk learnt so quickly and Storm almost won the premiership in 2006.

Even if it takes him 12 months he spends 2018 learning he could win usw a world cup in 2019.

Very unlikely at 35 years old. And one player doesn't win you a world cup. I think it quite unlikely that he would be significantly better as a rugby union 10 in 2019 than Bernard Foley. I think it more likely that Foley would be better.

But hey, if Cronk really wanted to give it a crack, and was willing to do it for much less money then he could make playing another couple of seasons for a Sydney NRL team then maybe it'd be worth it. But honestly, he'll make $1 million per season in the NRL and I wouldn't be comfortable with the ARU offering him a third of that.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Very unlikely at 35 years old. And one player doesn't win you a world cup. I think it quite unlikely that he would be significantly better as a rugby union 10 in 2019 than Bernard Foley. I think it more likely that Foley would be better.

But hey, if Cronk really wanted to give it a crack, and was willing to do it for much less money then he could make playing another couple of seasons for a Sydney NRL team then maybe it'd be worth it. But honestly, he'll make $1 million per season in the NRL and I wouldn't be comfortable with the ARU offering him a third of that.
Think you make some good points here. A halfback isn't quite as important in Union as in league but I still say had he switched 5 years ago he would be the best half back in world rugby right now.

As for Foley is he committed to the Tahs next year or off contract cause obviously that's the only tem Cronk would go to. Could he play scrum half?

One think with Cronk though is money obviously isn't his motivating factor, he is very loyal. he has had bagloads of cash thrown at him multiple times to leave Storm and has turned it down.

whether they chased it or not the idea must have at let come up in the offices of the ARU/Tahs

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
As for Foley is he committed to the Tahs next year or off contract cause obviously that's the only tem Cronk would go to. Could he play scrum half?

One think with Cronk though is money obviously isn't his motivating factor, he is very loyal. he has had bagloads of cash thrown at him multiple times to leave Storm and has turned it down.

whether they chased it or not the idea must have at let come up in the offices of the ARU/Tahs

I'm pretty sure Foley is contracted to the Waratahs until the end of 2018 so that's another issue because I don't think Cronk could play any position other than fly half in rugby. Though I think Foley may be playing in the Japanese Top League at the end of this year so I'd say it's fairly likely that given his workload he won't play every game of Super Rugby next year.

But I would guess money would be somewhat of a motivating factor for Cronk given he would have 2 or 3 years of his sporting career left at best. He'll most likely never earn anywhere near what he does now again in his life. So unless Cronk is the kind of guy who's been so good with his money that he's already invested enough to never worry about money again, I can't see him choosing to go to rugby on way less money for the unlikely chance of making the Wallabies and the world cup.

Last edited:

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm pretty sure Foley is contracted to the Waratahs until the end of 2018 so that's another issue because I don't think Cronk could play any position other than fly half in rugby. Though I think Foley may be playing in the Japanese Top League at the end of this year so I'd say it's fairly likely that given his workload he won't play every game of Super Rugby next year.
could cronk play scrum half?

chibimatty

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2010
Western Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WACA, Western Force, Arsenal, Glory
If Cronk did come back he'd be good at the Brumbies, they generally have a better coaching philosophy. He wouldn't be too bad under Dave Wessels over here either, if we were still around.

I'm only entertaining the idea because he played union before.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Cronk did come back he'd be good at the Brumbies, they generally have a better coaching philosophy. He wouldn't be too bad under Dave Wessels over here either, if we were still around.

I'm only entertaining the idea because he played union before.
Would only go to the Tahs tho as wants to live in Sydney

Back