Should the clock at games count down instead of up?

Should the clock at games count down instead of up?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

BG__

Club Legend
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Given how much stoppage time varies in AFL, I personally don't really understand why we don't have the clocks at the grounds counting down like we do on the TV. I hate not knowing exactly how long is left and when players not knowing can impact the game.

There's always a number of situations where the quality of play would improve if players knew exactly how long was left in the quarter.

I hate when you see players holding the ball up near the center with 15sec to go in a quarter because they aren't aware they need to go quickly and find someone inside 50. I hate when you see a player play on or pass it off, not aware there is only 3sec left and they should go back and take a shot. The Eagles initially thought they had 5-6min left against Port when it was only a minute, which could have cost them the game. I hate when teams don't play with enough urgency because they aren't aware there isn't long left. Players can have a rough idea and runners will try get the message out, but i think it would be better if they knew for certain.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any sport that is timed where players can't accurately see or know how long is left. I also can't think of a sport where the viewers at home have a completely different clock to those at the ground.

Tradition.
I knew someone would bring that up lol. I get it's tradition, but it's one of those things just doesn't make sense to me and the actual game would be way better off if it was changed.

Off the top of my head I can't really think of any sport that is timed where players can't accurately see or know how long is left. I also can't think of a sport where the viewers at home have a completely different clock to those at the ground.
Soccer is one. And I think that's pretty stupid too. I see no reason the players shouldn't know exactly how much time is left. Why the big secret?

There's always a number of situations where the quality of play would improve if players knew exactly how long was left in the quarter.

There's a hell of a lot more situation where the quality of play would suffer if players knew exactly how long was left. Hell, look at the shot clock and players taking advantage of that in close games.

It would be trying to make a solution for a problem that isn't there (a common problem the AFL introduces). If it is for the fans at the ground, they can listen to the radio and get updates that way.

Lastly, how good is it in a close game when you don't know how long to go and your side gets up. Absolutely thrilling. Wouldn't happen if people could watch the qtr counting down.

No, the TV should go back to the old way and with 5 minutes left start counting up.

Also this would be a incredibly huge change for our game if players could see exactly how long is left. Its more than than just what the spectators see.

Soccer is one. And I think that's pretty stupid too. I see no reason the players shouldn't know exactly how much time is left. Why the big secret?
Soccer is one i thought of, but given their stoppage time is often only a few minutes or so, they have a much better idea of how long is left. When the game ends at 90min and they get told there is 3min of stoppage time, the game usually ends pretty close to that.

The coaches all know exactly how much time is left.

The players probably should know too like most other time kept sports.

However from the aspect of the viewer the suspense its brings is awesome in a close game.

Having the exact time left when watching on TV takes away a lot of that.

How would the game be better?
Players can play according to how long is left.

I remember one game laughing at Casbault for looking like a spud passing it off with 2sec left and the siren going, but the poor bloke didn't even know how long was left. Otherwise he would have gone back and taken a shot. Things like this happen a fair bit.

Eagles almost cost themselves the win last round with Hurn telling the boys there was probably 4-5min left when really it was just a minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However from the aspect of the viewer the suspense its brings is awesome in a close game.

Having the exact time left when watching on TV takes away a lot of that.

Love the suspense, no thanks

The thing with the suspense argument though, is you can't tell me watching a game of basketball with scores tied and 15sec left doesn't have suspense or excitement.

Imagine in AFL a team had the ball at full back, look up and see there is 35sec left and quickly try to get a score. While on the flip side the opposition know an intercept can with the game

It may lack a tiny bit of suspense watching on TV atm, but imo because players don't know and don't have as much urgency. Eagles/Port was full of excitement and suspense on TV though despite knowing how long was left.

Last edited:
The thing with the suspense argument though, is you can't tell me watching a game of basketball with scores tied and 15sec left doesn't have suspense or excitement.

Imagine in AFL a team had the ball at full back, look up and see there is 35sec left and quickly try to get a score. While on the flip side the opposition know an intercept can with the game

It may lack a tiny bit of suspense watching on TV atm, but imo because players don't know and don't have as much urgency. Eagles/Port was full of excitement and suspense on TV though despite knowing how long was left.
We already get that, the players know when the clock is running out of time, I don't see why having it blasted on the big screen would change anything.

All it would do is enforce time wasting to an extreme level

Basketball is different because you can score from anywhere and within like 2 seconds as well as having timeouts and there is a shot clock.

In footy if you know exactly how long is left, if your team takes a mark you can generally breathe a sigh of relief or if you score with 10 seconds left you are pretty clear.

When I was at the Eagles v Essendon game in 2013, after Heppell scored that late goal it was over, but being at the game I was still worried that there might be 30 seconds left or so for you guys to score quickly.

Pretty much every sport in the world the players know how long is left. Our game is quirky like it is in a lot of ways. People who are on the 'if players know how long is left they will start taking time of the clock and passing it around the backline' bandwagon, to that I say, man up.... It's not that hard to find a man and follow him.

Players can play according to how long is left.

I remember one game laughing at Casbault for looking like a spud passing it off with 2sec left and the siren going, but the poor bloke didn't even know how long was left. Otherwise he would have gone back and taken a shot. Things like this happen a fair bit.

Eagles almost cost themselves the win last round with Hurn telling the boys there was probably 4-5min left when really it was just a minute.
And how does that make the game better? More predictable does not mean better, if anything it makes games worse since they would be far less exciting.

And Eagles thinking there is 4-5 minutes left is a problem with poor coaching and communication. Ive never heard of a team being off by so much.

We already get that, the players know when the clock is running out of time, I don't see why having it blasted on the big screen would change anything.

All it would do is enforce time wasting to an extreme level
All I can say is it's a part of the game. People who blast players for time wasting, it's part of the game in every sport but you think that AFL players should be exempt from it? In basketball if there is under 24 seconds left in the game, players will try and attempt to dribble out the shot clock. In rugby, if a team has a set of 6 with a minute left, they will get up slowly and take their time, in NFL they do the same. In soccer if they're late into stoppage time they'll take the ball to the corner flag and hold it there until someone comes to take it off them. No fans of those sports complain about the tactics, why? Because the defending team has the chance to try and stop them, and it's no different in the AFL. If you don't want them to take time off the clock, man up. If you don't want them using the 30 seconds they have to have a shot at goal and then pass it, man up.

Pretty much every sport in the world the players know how long is left. Our game is quirky like it is in a lot of ways. People who are on the 'if players know how long is left they will start taking time of the clock and passing it around the backline' bandwagon, to that I say, man up.... It's not that hard to find a man and follow him.
We literally have a guy who runs on the oval to tell them!!!

No other sport does that. The only people who don't know are the fans who don't have a radio. It should be clear for everyone.

Back