List Mgmt. Should the club make a tough call?

Remove this Banner Ad

The answer to a lack of quality isn't to get rid of your few quality players, the answer is to produce more quality players. I hope we have addressed the problems that have led to us producing players like: Black, Wood, MacMillan, Atley, Ziebell, McDonald, etc

Our backline and forward line is going to perform a lot better the stronger our midfield is, we know Thomas, Scott, Simpkin and LDU are going to be a big part of our future midfield outlook, the question marks is about other players.

I hope we can get LDU on the park in a meaningful way this year. Simpkin has already surged in terms of performance level this year, he is top 10 in terms of some hardball stats and he isn't impotent offensively, he has the potential to be elite. We know LDU has the talent, but he needs to get on the park. We know Thomas has the talent, he probably will never get a ton of the ball but we have to structure the midfield to create space for him and actively look to get the ball in his hands on the burst, he will probably do more damage than Wells did offensively if the other pieces of the puzzle are there.

The way Dumont, Polec, Hall and Higgins play I do not think are conducive to that type of football. It is part the individual, it is part the system. Same reason Simpkin sucked when he was waiting to be given the ball in an outside role. We play an ugly stoppage brand of footy and we aren't particularly good at stoppages, we developed this brand to stop bleeding defensively because our midfield was notoriously slow and unable to pressure the ball once it got on the outside but this brand is cancer and it doesn't suit the skillset of our new generation. We need to evolve or we are going to junk the talent we have accumulated recently.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The answer to a lack of quality isn't to get rid of your few quality players, the answer is to produce more quality players. I hope we have addressed the problems that have led to us producing players like: Black, Wood, MacMillan, Atley, Ziebell, McDonald, etc

Our backline and forward line is going to perform a lot better the stronger our midfield is, we know Thomas, Scott, Simpkin and LDU are going to be a big part of our future midfield outlook, the question marks is about other players.

I hope we can get LDU on the park in a meaningful way this year. Simpkin has already surged in terms of performance level this year, he is top 10 in terms of some hardball stats and he isn't impotent offensively, he has the potential to be elite. We know LDU has the talent, but he needs to get on the park. We know Thomas has the talent, he probably will never get a ton of the ball but we have to structure the midfield to create space for him and actively look to get the ball in his hands on the burst, he will probably do more damage than Wells did offensively if the other pieces of the puzzle are there.

The way Dumont, Polec, Hall and Higgins play I do not think are conducive to that type of football. It is part the individual, it is part the system. Same reason Simpkin sucked when he was waiting to be given the ball in an outside role. We play an ugly stoppage brand of footy and we aren't particularly good at stoppages, we developed this brand to stop bleeding defensively because our midfield was notoriously slow and unable to pressure the ball once it got on the outside but this brand is cancer and it doesn't suit the skillset of our new generation. We need to evolve or we are going to junk the talent we have accumulated recently.
The fact that we are so slow is also why Goldy shallow taps everything.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I haven't advocated for the trading of either Brown nor Cunners. My earlier post in this thread said I don't the the club would do it either.

However the idea that our Agraders wouldn't attract attention or commensurate value is false. That's all.

Gee, thanks for quoting one line out of my original post to take it out of context to make some pedantic point and your are still going. Way to add value.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
who we going to kick it to?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I don’t believe in this sought of strategy. Things can turn around very quickly.One good draft and/or trade period can be enough to bring in 4-6 best 22 players and really improve sides.

Also now that there’s no priority picks there isn’t anywhere near as much incentive to be a poor side.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t believe in this sought of strategy. Things can turn around very quickly.

One good draft and/or trade period can be enough to bring in 4-6 best 22 players and really improve sides. Now that there’s no priority picks there isn’t anywhere near as much incentive to be a bad side.

Be a call on 4 blokes;
Wood - just not up to it
Garner - perpetually injured
Jacobs - sad
Turner - ( see Wood )

Gee, thanks for quoting one line out of my original post to take it out of context to make some pedantic point and your are still going. Way to add value.

Ok, here is your quote in full

The tough call should be to use our probable 2 top 6 picks this year and play them, along with LDU, TT, Taylor.

Assuming that top 6 picks are thereabouts for AFL level footy, this would be the best course of action.
The only real way to do this is to dump Ziebell, Atley, JMAC, Wood, Garner and the like.
Ziebell won't be dumped, we don't do that.
Ately and JMac are likely to be managed out. Their replacements need game time this year in order to do this.

Wood and Garner are done, put Jacobs in this category as well.
The experienced B, C, D graders offer very little on the field.
Sure, but I doubt we're going to gut the side. I don't think that:
A) its a proven strategy for improvement
Or
B) we'd have the risk appetite to do it.

As a side note what are the parameters between an a grader and a b grader or a c grader. This is not directed at you specifically but what tangible metric moves a player for b to c or d?
Our A graders have no real trade currency.
I don't believe this to be true.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Be a call on 4 blokes;
Wood - just not up to it
Garner - perpetually injured
Jacobs - sad
Turner - ( see Wood )

As crazy as it sounds I think Wood is worth persevering with. Is a bit like Mckernan and Casboult in the sense he just has never really had a good run of it. Surely he’s worth trialing down back considering from what I can tell the sentiment on here is that Durdin and McKay are busts.

I know everyone can be a hindsight hero but looking at North’s list it’s hard to believe you guys didn’t have a big crack at Butler.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As crazy as it sounds I think Wood is worth persevering with. Is a bit like Mckernan and Casboult in the sense he just has never really had a good run of it. Surely he’s worth trialing down back considering from what I can tell the sentiment on here is that Durdin and McKay are busts.

I know everyone can be a hindsight hero but looking at North’s list it’s hard to believe you guys didn’t have a big crack at Butler.

Wood just hasn't got it mate. Prefer keeping Durdin and McKay over him and they're skating on thin ice. EVW the missing piece down back.

Not sure if we looked at Butler. Seems Papley was a target until he wanted the big $$$ and Carlton. Jack Mahony seems to have goods in the small glimpses we have seen. A MTW we would kill for 😟

Assume we still have somewhat of a war-chest to throw at the right player. Moore ?

Topsy-turvy 2020 who knows. Nail some early draft picks seasons end would be great.

Leave this kind of stuff for the bored journos that hype up the draft.

The bottom line is trading out your best players for a few first rounders has never worked. Just like trans bottoming out. In theory it works, but holistically, teams have never won premierships doing this.

Totally disagree, especially with a compromised draft this year.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Does your auto correct smoke DMT too?

Apart from that it's nice to agree with you about something.

Lol

You just want us to pick him this weekend.

Wood just hasn't got it mate. Prefer keeping Durdin and McKay over him and they're skating on thin ice. EVW the missing piece down back.

Not sure if we looked at Butler. Seems Papley was a target until he wanted the big $$$ and Carlton. Jack Mahony seems to have goods in the small glimpses we have seen. A MTW we would kill for 😟

Assume we still have somewhat of a war-chest to throw at the right player. Moore ?

Topsy-turvy 2020 who knows. Nail some early draft picks seasons end would be great.
Butler isn't like Paley or Mahoney tho. He has good straight line speed as well.

(Turner will be up to it btw. We look weak without his pressure at times this year.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Driving back from Bunnings this arvo, i actually heard Derwayne Russell on SEN make a semi intelligent comment, the gist of it was "in the modern game, if you can't kick, you can't play", kind of weird, but i agree, that there is a pretty good criteria for list management decisions going forward.

If we had traded Ziebell when I first said we wouldn’t have needed this thread.

Which is cool but was never happening.

The footy club doesn't work in this vacuum of player is worth X and could net us Y and the deal is good so do it.

Jack being Captain and someone who clearly loves the club means him agreeing to be traded is incredibly unlikely.

Which is cool but was never happening.

The footy club doesn't work in this vacuum of player is worth X and could net us Y and the deal is good so do it.

Jack being Captain and someone who clearly loves the club means him agreeing to be traded is incredibly unlikely.
And it was the wrong decision. Keeping has done nothing for us. He hasn’t inspired the mid crop at all.

And it was the wrong decision. Keeping has done nothing for us. He hasn’t inspired the mid crop at all.
Ok.

However trading the captain against their will would send a pretty strong message to the entire list.

In fact maybe more than that, to the staff also.

Pour yourself into what you do for us, but at the end of the day we will f*** you off if the terms are right for us, regardless of what you've done for us.

Ok.

However trading the captain against their will would send a pretty strong message to the entire list.

In fact maybe more than that, to the staff also.

Pour yourself into what you do for us, but at the end of the day we will f*** you off if the terms are right for us, regardless of what you've done for us.
Boomer says hi.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brown will be better when Larkey gets back. Is too good a full forward to consider letting go. Cunners is arguably our most important player. If he was blocking the development of a young player then you would consider it but when fit he isnt blocking anything. Im happy to move on list cloggers...there are plenty of other choices Id pick ahead of brown and cunners...the issue is we wont get anything for them...other than the satisfaction that the club has finally grown a pair.

Shagga is all Class

Premiership Player
May 15, 2005
Beneath the Blue and White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Any of you blokes got kids?
Who's numbers have they got on their jumpers. Browns pretty much the face of the club has a few crap games now he's trade bait? Tough crowd

Agree. I don't really get the list management concept of trading your A graders gives you trade currency. It gives you more draft picks and another best 22 hole in your list.

If we had an A grader who wants to come, we already have draft picks stockpiled and why would they come if we are trading out our top end or culturally stuffing the club Crazy Vossy style?

It also just means Simpkin would be tagged and Larkey double teamed instead of Cunnington, Higgins or Brown.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t believe in this sought of strategy. Things can turn around very quickly.One good draft and/or trade period can be enough to bring in 4-6 best 22 players and really improve sides.

Also now that there’s no priority picks there isn’t anywhere near as much incentive to be a poor side.
No priority picks unless you're Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back