Should the club take the initiative and make a permanent indigenous jersey?

Remove this Banner Ad

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While the club has taken the initiative of creating an indigenous warm up t, I think it would be really great if we dedicated our 3rd strip or even our away or home strip to having a permanent indigenous jersey. The designs we use are usually top notch and it would mean a lot to the current and future indigenous players of this club. We're given 3 strips to wear throughout the year, surely we can dedicate one to show greater indigenous representation?

While the club has taken the initiative of creating an indigenous warm up t, I think it would be really great if we dedicated our 3rd strip or even our away or home strip to having a permanent indigenous jersey. The designs we use are usually top notch and it would mean a lot to the current and future indigenous players of this club. We're given 3 strips to wear throughout the year, surely we can dedicate one to show greater indigenous representation?
I'm pretty sure clubs would have to get AFL approval for any "permanent" jersey, I do love most of our indigenous jerseys though.

I like the women having a permanent indigenous strips and agree they all look great. We have a bunch of them. Happy to buy new versions, but we don't but new versions of the regular one.
So changing them yearly gets more dollars out of us.

I like the women having a permanent indigenous strips and agree they all look great. We have a bunch of them. Happy to buy new versions, but we don't but new versions of the regular one.
So changing them yearly gets more dollars out of us.
I was thinking we would continue the current model of changing the designs each year, but keeping it as a permanent Guernsey rather than it being a one off. Queensland also being a state with a larger indigenous population should only further this argument. From a marketiting perspective: imagine what it would mean to indigenous children watching Charlie Cameron kick a goal while wearing an emblem that represents them? It could inspire more indigenous children and people alike to follow the club and even contribute to a greater representation of indigenous players in the AFL. I think if the club is truly earnest about their desire to show representation towards this community, they should lead the way and create this change. We also know there is no way the AFL would deny this request as it would be a PR disaster for them.

I was thinking we would continue the current model of changing the designs each year, but keeping it as a permanent Guernsey rather than it being a one off. Queensland also being a state with a larger indigenous population should only further this argument. From a marketiting perspective: imagine what it would mean to indigenous children watching Charlie Cameron kick a goal while wearing an emblem that represents them? It could inspire more indigenous children and people alike to follow the club and even contribute to a greater representation of indigenous players in the AFL. I think if the club is truly earnest about their desire to show representation towards this community, they should lead the way and create this change. We also know there is no way the AFL would deny this request as it would be a PR disaster for them.
There are other things we need to recognise too besides Indigenous people. This club has long roots that shouldn't be cast aside, which is why we have a level of continuity with guernseys stretching back at least to 1997 and to a large extent to Fitzroy before that. I also think trying to combine everything into one guernsey might get too busy and not give each group their due recognition. I would be in favour of the clash guernsey being an indigenous guernsey full-time, however.

Has anyone seen the design for this years Indigenous guernsey? I know a few of the others have been released/leaked

Most of the indigenous jumpers I have disliked. They might be interesting close up but on the telly they look lick a blurred normal jumper. Putting squiggles around our usual jumper is the best that they come up with.

I have wanted an indigenous Aussie Rules emblem on every jumper for many years. Have an emblem. All jumpers, from all clubs, on the nominated round have to incorporate the logo

No. We are a Football Club with a long history. Our Indigenous players are only one component of that history and are no more or less worthy of recognition than any other group.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
The land that we played on to create this history is also important as well and it should be represented. There is nothing stopping us or the club from recognizing our current history, the fitzroy history, and the history of the land that we play on by fashioning an indigenous jersey. Our current clash jumper is essentially useless and could be remade into an indigenous jersey that wouldn't harm our history, rather contribute towards the indigenous history as well. It's strange to think that anyone would be against it.

f05355cf84dea68a04035c802987a2c7

GWS recently wore a kit against Adelaide in an non-indigenous round - which is a path that we should go down as well.

Our current clash jumper is essentially useless and could be remade into an indigenous jersey that wouldn't harm our history, rather contribute towards the indigenous history as well. It's strange to think that anyone would be against it.
The clash guernsey is fine to switch over permanently. My issue is that you also suggested switching the home or away guernseys to being permanently indigenous guernseys. Nobody really cares about the current clash guernsey, but plenty of people care about the current home and away guernseys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back