Rumour Should the Crows go for Matt Scharenberg?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather keep Hartigan.

We're in a rebuild and discussing picking up delisted or injury prone players from other clubs just because they're from S.A

Didn't we learn anything from Gibbs?
I don't really get the Gibbs comparison.

Just because they're from the same state we now compare them with Gibbs?

Think we're pretty set for the 3rd tall defender myself for him to really be worth much of a look, think I preferred the option more when it saw Kelly going to Collingwood in return.

Does this study have exclusivity to AFL?

Unfortunately, No.

I'm simply basing it on the studies I've read from other elite contact sports such as NFL / NHL and also another study that was done on mainly "general population"

I do hope that in a few more years there will be greater studies done on our beloved sport of AFL - considering there is absolutely no sport like it and we have one of the highest injury / player % in the world. Maybe we can revisit our discussion in another 10 years mate? :p For now, I'm sure we can agree on one thing.. ACL's suck.

Unfortunately, No.

I'm simply basing it on the studies I've read from other elite contact sports such as NFL / NHL and also another study that was done on mainly "general population"

I do hope that in a few more years there will be greater studies done on our beloved sport of AFL - considering there is absolutely no sport like it and we have one of the highest injury / player % in the world. Maybe we can revisit our discussion in another 10 years mate? :p For now, I'm sure we can agree on one thing.. ACL's suck.

I remember when Scharenberg was drafted he had foot issues all year and Collingwood got him in and removed a tiny bone in each foot, as they believed it served no purpose that’s known physiologically and it help his foot issues.

He did his first ACL within six months after that surgery, If memory serves correctly.

There’s nothing to link the surgery and ACL as more than coincidence and I’m not suggesting otherwise. It is interesting though and I’m sure it will be one of this things he questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I remember when Scharenberg was drafted he had foot issues all year and Collingwood got him in and removed a tiny bone in each foot, as they believed it served no purpose that’s known physiologically and it help his foot issues.

He did his first ACL within six months after that surgery, If memory serves correctly.

There’s nothing to link the surgery and ACL as more than coincidence and I’m not suggesting otherwise. It is interesting though and I’m sure it will be one of this things he questions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I actually remember this as well - I remember the comparison to Trav Varcoe at the time, who had a similar issue with his foot at Centrals prior to getting picked up to Geelong. It's hard to pinpoint something like that but don't be surprised just how much ankle mobility affects the knee and hip.

Might be worth a rookie spot if we go down the same path as we did with Keays and Crocker. Not really excited about him. I'm definitely on board with rookie listing 2 more after the success of Keays just not sure Scharenberg is worth it after his ACL injuries.

On SM-G950U using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might be worth a rookie spot if we go down the same path as we did with Keays and Crocker. Not really excited about him. I'm definitely on board with rookie listing 2 more after the success of Keays just not sure Scharenberg is worth it after his ACL injuries.

On SM-G950U using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely there are much better options if we're going for the delisted player who could end up good route.

Brayden Fiorini stands out in the out of contract space, in particular. Venebles, Hewitt, Waterman, Xavier O'Neill are other names that stand out as either highly rated kids who haven't kicked on, or players who were best 22 at one stage but have struggled in an out of contract year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there are much better options if we're going for the delisted player who could end up good route.

Brayden Fiorini stands out in the out of contract space, in particular. Venebles, Hewitt, Waterman, Xavier O'Neill are other names that stand out as either highly rated kids who haven't kicked on, or players who were best 22 at one stage but have struggled in an out of contract year.
Waterman just re-signed for 2 years and is definitely best 22 at the Eagles

Waterman just re-signed for 2 years and is definitely best 22 at the Eagles

Yeah, I had a feeling one would slip past, seeing footywire didn't update the out of contract list when Tom Sparrow signed on.

Fiorini is signed until 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back