Rumour Should the Crows go for Matt Scharenberg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn’t Crocker be dumped yet?

Certainly odd, he seems like an easy delist.

Still, I'd like to find a way to keep him around elsewhere in the club, if possible. Has always come off as a quality dude.

Only if we can send back a bigger salary dump to Collingwood.
Nope, Scharenberg would've been delisted and take up 0 salary next year.

You can take him for free or a 4th round pick if you dont need it.

But we won't be accepting a high salary player in return.

The Pies were unlucky that draft year with both Scharenberg and Freeman.
I remember a story from the Bulldogs recruiting staff saying that Scharenberg tanked his interview with the Bulldogs and they went with Bontempelli, Bulldogs dodged a bullet there

No thanks.

Glass_%282019_poster%29.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definite NO to Scharenberg. I can't see Nicks going for him.
I feel for the bloke; 3 knee reconstructions means he's played only 41 AFL games since 2014. Our Andy Otten was headed for big things but was cruelled by 2 ACLs which slowed him down and restricted his ability to turn/evade.
Ditto, Scharenberg.

Last edited:
Huge pass, we've got young talent in defence that need prioritising.

We have Talia, Doedee, Hartigan, McAsey, Butts and Worrell.
Plus Kelly and McPherson. Plus Borlase likely to come in.
We don't need to trade for a guy who, other than one season where he wasn't injured for once and played 17 games, he's played 24 games in 5 years.
We've spent too much salary over the last few years paying players for other teams. We don't need to do it with Scharenberg.

Nope, Scharenberg would've been delisted and take up 0 salary next year.

You can take him for free or a 4th round pick if you dont need it.

But we won't be accepting a high salary player in return.

I still wanted take him.

Nothing is free.

Having him on our list would take away resources from other players.

Lost alot of agility post his 2nd knee reco and even more after his 3rd .

Injuries have very much cruelled his career but he is not for us .

Last edited:
I still wanted take him.

Nothing is free.

Having him on our list would take away resources from other players.
Ok there seems to be some misconception regarding his speed/agility.

Defensively it's fine, very reliable shut down defender on either the resting midfielder (danger, martin etc) or on key forwards like (darling, kennedy, riewoldt etc).

By loss of speed you need to put things into perspective. Back in his junior years, he was a stronger and faster Lachie Whitfield with excellent kicking skills. He was able to break lines in defence and distribute it precisely. By loss of speed, I mean that it's no longer at that level, and that one of his biggest weapons was taken away from him. Is it still decent/competent? Sure it is.

Ok there seems to be some misconception regarding his speed/agility.

Defensively it's fine, very reliable shut down defender on either the resting midfielder (danger, martin etc) or on key forwards like (darling, kennedy, riewoldt etc).

By loss of speed you need to put things into perspective. Back in his junior years, he was a stronger and faster Lachie Whitfield with excellent kicking skills. He was able to break lines in defence and distribute it precisely. By loss of speed, I mean that it's no longer at that level, and that one of his biggest weapons was taken away from him. Is it still decent/competent? Sure it is.
And it's still a Pass, pass, pass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back