2nds Should the Crows reserves be in the SANFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

What would be the added costs of flying out a SANFL
team to Victoria every week? Equal/less than the $450,000 we pay the SANFL? If so then go do it and leave the SANFL to their own ballgame and stop their whinging.

team to Victoria every week? Equal/less than the $450,000 we pay the SANFL? If so then go do it and leave the SANFL to their own ballgame and stop their whinging.

See even you agree, the crows reserves should play in the VFL the SANFL supporters agree, no whinging there everyone is happy, not too often you find win/ wins is it

Using very rough numbers and based it on 1 stand alone club could add something like $70,000 to $80,000 a year

12 away games
30 people (22 players plus 8 staff)
~$200 return flight per person.

30 people X $200 = $6,000 X 12 times a year = $72,000

Now, if the AFL implemented a national reserves compertition, I'm sure someone like Virgin Australia or QANTAS could get that number per flight down to something like $85 to $100 a return flight.

12 away games X $85 = $1020 X 30 people = ~$30,000

So we go to the VFL, we either pay for an away team to come here every second week, or we fly there every week, what effect would that have on the recovery and longevity of our youngest players, and older players trying to find some form or come back from injury?

So we go to the VFL, we either pay for an away team to come here every second week, or we fly there every week, what effect would that have on the recovery and longevity of our youngest players, and older players trying to find some form or come back from injury?
Not to mention no longer getting one week off out of every three

Would be very unlikely to occur you'd think.

The only onfield benefit would be you are testing your self against AFL listed players.

Would be a lost of extra expenses not just for us but for the victorian clubs to take on that they don't have to at the moment. They don't really get anything in return for it.

Only an AFL reserves comp would see us leave the SANFL and I'd say there's no chance of that occurring.

AFL wouldn't shell out costs for something that is already established in every state league. Probably some resentment for WAFL and SANFL fans but in Victoria and the NEAFL things are fine on this front. They don't have the same emotional attachment to the old VFA or the state leagues in NSW and QLD like they we do so the resentment towards AFL reserves teams competing in those comps isn't there.

Of course we should be in the sanfl, how many flags have we won? This is ridiculous adelaide small minded conversation. The sanfl needs the crows and we need them for player development. End of!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruccis wrote an article the other day that the cost to field a team in VFL was $550k. I'm assuming that included all costs and wasn't much more because we wouldn't be paying licensing fee.

Using very rough numbers and based it on 1 stand alone club could add something like $70,000 to $80,000 a year

12 away games

Now, if the AFL implemented a national reserves compertition, I'm sure someone like Virgin Australia or QANTAS could get that number per flight down to something like $85 to $100 a return flight.

Accommodation and transfers, meals etc unless they fly in, fly out game day??

12 away games

Accommodation to.

When I bumped into the Crows last year at the Goldy they weren't exactly staying at the YMCA backpackers hostel.

Accommodation to.

When I bumped into the Crows last year at the Goldy they weren't exactly staying at the YMCA backpackers hostel.

It would depend, if they join the VFL - Fly in and fly out same day would be the ideal plan if most away games are played in Victoria.

However, If the AFL decided to have a national reserves competition, They could link the accomodation with a sponsorships, it wouldn't add that much to the overall economic cost.

$100 twin share over 12 games is still only $30,000

Lets say, over the course of a eason flights($30,000), accomodation ($30,000) transfers ($3,000) and any extras ($7,000) cost close to $70,000 a team. The AFL could get a sponsorship to cover some of the cot and then the clubs pick up the rest.

It's actually doable, its simply depends on if the AFL want to dismantle the lower leagues.

Why would they complain , if you haven't worked it out they want you in the VFL, what planet have you been living on?
If the crows aren't in the SANFL then the SANFL cant dictate restrictions as to where top up players are sourced.

The crows would be free to tempt away some of the SANFL's best players with the hopes that it could lead to an AFL contract.

That depends on what restrictions the VFL puts on them too.

Can't see the stand alone VFL clubs too keen to play outside Melbourne with their limited finances...

How many of those are left, just out of interest? I could see the AFL clubs being keen for the occasional travel for the development opportunities it offers. I'm sure we could provide some level of compensation to the stand alone clubs for their travel at the very least.

$70000 is probably about right for flights, double it if we're covering Vic clubs, but I'm sure something could be worked out there. Adding in the extras probably bumps it up to needing to allow $200k, maybe $250k if we're covering opposition costs for travel.

However we could also potentially gain from having home games. I'm sure there's plenty of Victorian club supporters who'd go and watch their 2's play, especially the likes of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawks.

The biggest question would be what the VFL would ask as entrance fee, but really I can't see us forking out too much more than what we are now. Maybe $150-200k more a year, potentially less. Not really that restrictive I would have thought when you consider our overall football budget is what ~15M dollars? Especially given the obvious benefits having a reserves side gives us.

Remember that when this was negotiated, Trigg was our head honcho, I'm not sure I trust him to have properly researched the option, especially given the SANFL were coming to the party. Fagan I trust to be a little more ruthless.

It's actually doable, its simply depends on if the AFL want to dismantle the lower leagues.

Yeah probably the main issue with the National reserves comp is the impact it will have on the VFL and the AFLs baby the NEAFL. No issue for WA/SA as our leagues are still independent, although I think there will be some longer lasting effects from this.

WA and SA clubs are probably the ones who benefit most from such a competition, given the angst their presence in state leagues cause, yet the biggest upheaval as a result of national comp would be in the other states and its these other states that he AFL actually care about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back