Should the GF be played at a Neutral venue?

Should the Grand Final be played at a Neutral Venue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth Stadium may be new and shiny but when you strip it back its a very generically designed stadium. Like an updated Etihad Stadium without a roof. And i might add it has no history or tradition.

AO has it easily covered and so does the G.
you couldn't be more wrong about that if you tried. The stadium unlike most others had a fan first philosophy and numerous user groups participated in the design to make sure that the fans actually come first. For example...Unlike any other stadium in Australia you can watch the game whilst buying food and drink because there are uninterrupted sight lines from all vendors to the playing surface...all around the ground.

That's just one small example that make it..not generic. It is the best stadium in the country now.

By not sending interstate teams to North Antartica aka Tasmania or the NT.

That all comes down to the AFL equalising revenue and atadium deals.
I gather you mean sending them to the G instead? I agree totally this should happen, however HQ won't agree with you because would be at the expense of those Tas and NT games and we all know they won't because of their interest in "growing the game". Why the AFL don't send more Vic teams to these places is mind boggling

19 years out?! Pffttt...they wont think anything about it until the last minute.
Disagree, HQ has a history of looking into the future VFL park was one of those. With all the noise on social media about the inequities of the comp I'd imagine it wouldn't go unnoticed therefore looking for viable ways to even it up would be on the agenda. If it is not viable i:e the venue, it would not be discussed and would argue that currently and the forseeable future that is the case.

By not sending interstate teams to North Antartica aka Tasmania or the NT.

That all comes down to the AFL equalising revenue and atadium deals.
S'if Melbourne teams would schedule 'interstate' home games against Melbourne rivals with drawing power.
Out of interest, would you like to schedule some eagles home games at the MCG?
Collingwood be fine with it.
Same with everyone else in Melbourne. In the interests of mcg experience...

This is already being discussed within AFL house. More money will be made by having states bid for the Grand Final - that is the belief.
Do you have evidence of this? If yes then it is entirely possible, however the states would have to play ball and agree to bidding - that I would find unlikely

Getting back to the theory that the Dogs had an advantage in 2016, some facts.
Week before both grand finalists travelled interstate and won.
Since entering the competition Sydney/South Melboune have played at the G 223 times ( 91-132-2). Dogs entered in 1925 have played 206 times (84-121-1).
Since 2000, Sydney is 25-30-1 from 56 games, Dogs 33-29 from 62 games.
So apart from Sydney having to endure an 80 minute flight and 5 star accommodation in Melbourne there was not much advantage for the Dogs.
In my opinion.

Maybe the AFL could build a giant 100k seat floating stadium, that could be towed to the city due to host it. Even better if it had its own motor, and an extra big bimini cover. You could sit in the top deck and drop a line over the side...
Offseason just got a whole lot better.

No dirty baitos but - soft plastics or lures

Dont want the place stinking like gina rhinehearts douche bag

I still feel bad that the Cats had to play their "home" final at the G. Obviously had the whole league behind them otherwise it would have been played in Geelong... Not that 80000+ screaming tigers fans impacted the result though right? :rolleyes:

Gee ..... I suppose you also felt for them when they gave your mob a good flogging a week later, although just maybe you would of preferred that game at the cats suburban ground too (does google maps work down there)...... I see your point as that game was not worthy of being played at the home of football because your boys didn’t play football.

Although while we’re at it ...... you did appear to have more support that night, yet they still won that game. It’s confusing for you isn’t it, home ground, home state, home & away, home advantage, home alone and home away from home!!

Let me simplify it for you .... you, them and everyone else was simply ..... NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!

Gee ..... I suppose you also felt for them when they gave your mob a good flogging a week later, although just maybe you would of preferred that game at the cats suburban ground too (does google maps work down there)...... I see your point as that game was not worthy of being played at the home of football because your boys didn’t play football.

Although while we’re at it ...... you did appear to have more support that night, yet they still won that game. It’s confusing for you isn’t it, home ground, home state, home & away, home advantage, home alone and home away from home!!

Let me simplify it for you .... you, them and everyone else was simply ..... NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!
Hahahaha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure Adelaide would have swapped the away strip and shorts to play at Adelaide oval. Pretty stupid comment

Ok .... you make a good point!! I’m suggesting something to assist you, other Adelaide supporters and those sprouting the right to host home GF’s and neutral venues, including those missing out on end of year footy celebrations in their state.

How about we start slow and begin with unfurling our flag at Adelaide oval R2 sit together while you take photos and yes, also open to the idea of you getting a photo holding the cup.

Just a thought!!!!

You need 3 x 100k seat stadiums to make it work. All in different states. Then you could have a neutral grandfinal no matter who makes it.
Then all the supporters of the two teams playing will be able to get stung by the airlines and hotels as they inflate their prices over GF week.

You only managed to beat one top 8 team away from home all year. That was Port. Even we did that twice last year.

So yeah, I watched enough footy last year to say that when you suggest Richmond could beat anyone, anywhere that you are full of it

All finals were blowouts for the home side except for the Eagles game
Oh dear...you appear to have committed the McNamara fallacy.

Last edited:
Obviously cant occur without a third option.

Still better than the current no option and at least the team who earned home ground advantage is rewarded.
No team ‘earns’ a home GF.

The reward for finishing higher in the home and away is a home final and supposedly easiest passage through to the GF in the lead-up finals.

The GF has never ever been held at the higher ranked teams ground. It is always known well before the season starts where the GF will be played.

This is also the case in the WAFL and SANFL and VFA/VFL and all junior comps in Victoria too.

Eagles fans just need to realise that they are the equivalent of Peel fans in the WAFL. They have to travel to the big smoke for the GF, no matter how ‘unfair’ they think it is.

you couldn't be more wrong about that if you tried. The stadium unlike most others had a fan first philosophy and numerous user groups participated in the design to make sure that the fans actually come first. For example...Unlike any other stadium in Australia you can watch the game whilst buying food and drink because there are uninterrupted sight lines from all vendors to the playing surface...all around the ground.

That's just one small example that make it..not generic. It is the best stadium in the country now.
Not familiar with the mcg :huh:

Why not just make a MCG a neutral venue by giving every team the same number of home and away games there?

That’s what happens when you finish 3rd, win your games and make the GF. You get to play a home state final and at the G. They’re the rules. It’s not like they were made up this year just for Richmond.
That actually has been lost on the average boofhead that suggests at some point teams were rewarded with Home finals . I can’t recall the like of ess or the blooze or WB playing finals at Etihad and before that windy hill or Arden st but It in 2017 it became relevant that Geelong could re write history and demand a final at a village ground . You can’t be serious

The first thing the afl need to do is have a consistent sized arena at the top level for every match this is fixtured. How on earth in 2018 have we given the lunatics the keys to the asylum and allowed for an anomaly that makes a mockery of elite standards. What other football code would have different scale pitches at ea arena. Can you imagine if every basketball or tennis court was a different size . That’s right , if it sounds ridiculous , it generally is .

Make every arena the same scale as the mcg , simplE

Should the qualifying final be played at the home ground of home team? Or the away team?

Bulldogs have to travel to spotless but Richmond can't travel 50 minutes up the road. Money comes before a non-corrupt league. Prioritizing crowd numbers over ladder position. Do any international sports do this? I'd assume many of the major ones would unfortunately as money talks. But assume the more snobby sports couldn't get away with it, as it would undermine their prestige element.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take that as sarcasm, unless you're suggesting that no one would make their way to a GF at Perth stadium - which would be folley

No it's actually a serious point. People might WANT to go, but being able to is another matter

Whenever a WA team plays a GF in Melbourne, we hear about how the transport system is overloaded getting people from Perth to Melbourne (and back), with stories of some folk having to via Bali, etc.

If the problem was the other way around, you would have that many people going the other way PLUS a great many sponsors, officials, players, AFL members, and the like....at the MCG, there are likely 10-15,000 seats for people from Perth...the other way around would likely be at least double, probably triple that.

If the transport infrastructure struggles with 10,000 people suddenly deciding to cross the nullabor, how do you think it'd handle 40,000?

I also have doubts about if there would be enough hotel beds available, restaurants, and the like but considering how tough it'd be to get there in the first place, that's not really likely to be a concern, is it.

Also remember, that the way people want to run this (top team in the GF hosts), nobody would know for sure if it was going to happen until the week before, so while some preparation might occur, nothing that takes serious money/effort would be done (so no charter planes sitting on the tarmac 'just in case').

Back