Should the Lions keep Fagan around if they lose tonight?

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Horrendous finals record to date, if their knocked out tonight is it time to look elsewhere? I give him credit for getting them back on track and he’s obviously a good coach but I don’t see them taking the next step under him.

Last edited:

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
I think there biggest issue is what to do with the list. Form has probably been the main reason they haven't progressed this year. Whether it was key players coming back from long term injuries or older guys dropping off form wise.

4 years and there abouts they haven't really looked like serious contenders come finals time. I'm not sure they are 1 or 2 good recruits away from being so. If so they will need a few within to step up and quickly.

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
And what type of coach would we hire to replace him?
St Kilda we’re similar under Grant Thomas, would make finals and not much else, he was sacked after making finals and replaced with Lyon, they improved.

Not saying Lyon is the answer FWIW.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
This is why purely results driven decisions are dumb

In an alternative universe If that Shai Bolton non-call 30 seconds to go doesnt bounce into the brisbane player after he's stripped of the ball, it bounces to a Richmond player who kicks into 50 and they grab another goal. Is it Fagans job?

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
You can see the players cringing while he yells and screams on the bench. Definitely not a coach for the 2022 player, once he's gone he will be the last of his breed. Remember these are people who have been treated like gods since their first game of juniors at 8 years old. They don't appreciate anyone invading that bubble

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
You’ll be the joke next week when you get utterly destroyed and exposed for the holes in your non existent game plan.

Enjoy your little elimination final win

That’s all you’re getting I’m afraid
WOW!!

You’ll be the joke next week when you get utterly destroyed and exposed for the holes in your non existent game plan.

I hadn't hit puberty when Essendon last won a final. Would rather get what Brisbane have given us over the last four years than supporting a 'big four' club that can't win despite all its advantages and brought the competition into disrepute.

Honestly mate, I will enjoy every second of it knowing I don't support the Bombers. :')

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You can see the players cringing while he yells and screams on the bench. Definitely not a coach for the 2022 player, once he's gone he will be the last of his breed. Remember these are people who have been treated like gods since their first game of juniors at 8 years old. They don't appreciate anyone invading that bubble

Fagan said earlier this year when quizzed as to why now coaches from the bench every match , he replied that after badly tearing his hamstring off the bone , in the 2018 Big Freeze slide event he had to stay ground level.

He said it now takes him to long to get down to the ground , manoeuvring via stairs and corridors and back to the coaches box for the 1/4 and 3/4 time addresses.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Someone lost a bundle on the Tigs and hasnt told the wife yet....

Fagan is definitely safe now. A huge win and a good break before the next game to recover from Im aure very sore bodies.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Very little chance he would have been moved on. I'm a bit undecided either way. My view is we need to add some talent around him. Our assistant coaching ranks are very, very underwhelming. Highest quality ex player is Jed Adcock or Brad Green and almost half the coaching staff haven't played at the highest level. No disrespect to the guys, but we need some changes.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Fagan said earlier this year when quizzed as to why now coaches from the bench every match , he replied that after badly tearing his hamstring off the bone , in the 2018 Big Freeze slide event he had to stay ground level.

He said it now takes him to long to get down to the ground , manoeuvring via stairs and corridors and back to the coaches box for the 1/4 and 3/4 time addresses.
If this isn't definitive proof Fages is way too old to be coaching.

Surely the ground staff have set up a defibrillator not far from the Lion's bench on the off chance he goes into cardiac arrest during the course of a game.

Back