News & Events Should the Monday following ANZAC Day be a public holiday?

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Apparently NSW, Victoria and Tasmania do not have a public holiday next Monday after ANZAC Day, while the other states do. Surely the states would align for this and either all have the day off or all not. I don't think it should be a public holiday. It is a day of commemoration and should only be observed on the day off. Having said that, as a Queenslander, I think it is only fair that we get the day off and Victoria don't as they get the day off for the Melbourne Cup, the AFL Grand Final and other such rubbish.

Last edited:

If ANZAC Day falls on a weekday then all for it to be a public holiday, but if it falls on a weekend then so be it with no "make-up" day

Go back 10 years when there was overlap between ANZAC Day & Easter Monday which happened to fall on April 25, in Vic the Easter Monday holiday was pushed to the Tuesday

Attended a seance some years back and roused my late Grandfather. And he informed me that his final wish as his Bristol Blenheim was headed for the drink and he washed up on some Dutch shoreline a few days later was "My as yet unborn Grandson had better get a day off for this! Yes, even though this battle isn't actually the ANZAC amphibious operation, it's still day off worthy".

So there you have it.

classic example where the AFL dont take account of public holidays outside of victoria. they could put on a sunday night double header of games this weekend, played in states with public holidays (there is one in SA but could have done the derby for example in perth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

classic example where the AFL dont take account of public holidays outside of victoria. they could put on a sunday night double header of games this weekend, played in states with public holidays (there is one in SA but could have done the derby for example in perth

I was wondering why there were no games scheduled for the Monday. Now I know, I am not surprised in the least.

Freo vs North absolutely should have been a Monday night game (twilight Perth time)

I'd probably rather get rid of the ANZAC Day holiday altogether, given how massive and jingoistic it's become over the years

Remembrance Day is much more low key and I like that

Would rather have a holiday for Arbour Day or something, planting trees seems a much more worthy reason to take a day off work

I'd probably rather get rid of the ANZAC Day holiday altogether, given how massive and jingoistic it's become over the years

Remembrance Day is much more low key and I like that

Would rather have a holiday for Arbour Day or something, planting trees seems a much more worthy reason to take a day off work

Making Cup Day a national holiday an obvious solution.

"This weekend footy pays its respects..."

Not quietly, subtly or just the once though.

RIP Grandpa, Sandy, JP, Lobes, Cainsy, Murph, Jim, Kevin, Burgs, and Craig.

Every Monday should be a Public Holiday for drinkers, the Do- Gooders and lefties can take up the slack.
Every day is respect day for all who have fought for us.

A Sunday Night Western Derby with a nation wide audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back