Should the Renegades move to the MCG?

Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
It seems that the most common reason people give for supporting the Stars is that they play at the MCG. We see a similar thing in the AFL, where the MCG teams have been able to grow their crowds and membership numbers faster than the Docklands teams. Are the Renegades holding themselves back by playing at a ground few people like?

There is, of course, another pressing reason to consider a move. Last weekend's crowd wouldn't fit in the Docklands. Few would have expected the BBL to grow as fast as it has, but we are now at the point where the Renegades should be playing their home derbies (and presumably any finals they host) at the MCG. So it's probably better just to move in.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
something something Chris Gayle

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
It seems that the most common reason people give for supporting the Stars is that they play at the MCG. We see a similar thing in the AFL, where the MCG teams have been able to grow their crowds and membership numbers faster than the Docklands teams. Are the Renegades holding themselves back by playing at a ground few people like?

There is, of course, another pressing reason to consider a move. Last weekend's crowd wouldn't fit in the Docklands. Few would have expected the BBL to grow as fast as it has, but we are now at the point where the Renegades should be playing their home derbies (and presumably any finals they host) at the MCG. So it's probably better just to move in.

How packed was the MCC? That's probably 15,000-20,000 just there. And if they had two MCG derbies, you'd probably see significantly less at each. I can't imagine that many people would go to both, so close to each other. They'd just pick the one of the two games that is more convenient, or their team's home game.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Half the fun of the derby is going to both stadiums for the games.

Each side does their best to make you feel you are in enemy territory.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
As others have said, this is a completely pointless discussion given the Renegades have never once sold out Etihad, and when the stadium and the colours are really the only points of difference between the 2 Melbourne sides.

And that's really the reason why they shouldn't, and they won't move - unlike Sydney, were there is a clear differentiation between the "east" team and the "west" team, there is no such differentiation here in Melbourne. As you see here on BF when people discuss why they chose their team, proximity to and ease of getting to each ground is one of the reasons people chose their team.

If you remove that differentiation, all that's left are colours and personalities, and I've never believed that personalities should dictate alliances, cos players, coaches and administrators will all eventually move on.

Mingo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2006
Western
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
As others have said, this is a completely pointless discussion given the Renegades have never once sold out Etihad, and when the stadium and the colours are really the only points of difference between the 2 Melbourne sides.

And that's really the reason why they shouldn't, and they won't move - unlike Sydney, were there is a clear differentiation between the "east" team and the "west" team, there is no such differentiation here in Melbourne. As you see here on BF when people discuss why they chose their team, proximity to and ease of getting to each ground is one of the reasons people chose their team.

If you remove that differentiation, all that's left are colours and personalities, and I've never believed that personalities should dictate alliances, cos players, coaches and administrators will all eventually move on.
I chose the Renegades because they didn't seem like arrogant bastards like the Stars did :oops:

Ross Titute

Senior List
Jan 2, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought the whole Melbourne vs Melbourne thing was s**t so I decided to go for the Scorchers.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
The average Malbun dickhead hate of Etihad is mind boggling.

The fact they refuse to attend one of the best stadiums in the country - even when their footy/cricket club is playing at home - has always shown them up as just as big a mob of theatre-goers as their Sydney counterparts.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I thought the whole Melbourne vs Melbourne thing was s**t so I decided to go for the Scorchers.

What are your thoughts on that in light of 80k at the 'G last Saturday?

I always thought it was one of the major learnings that BBL took from the A-League - nearly everyone advising the FFA suggested derbies in Sydney and in Melbourne from the start, but they ignored the advice for reasons around exclusivity and getting people to tip money in.

The success of the Sydney derby, along with the relative lack of success of Melbourne Heart/City, while at completely opposite ends of the scale, I think prove that they absolutely should've had those derbies from the start if possible.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I always hear about how hard Etihad is to get to (which is bullshit, but I digress...) compared to the MCG. Surely if it's harder for people coming from the S/E then it's easier for people coming from the N/W?

I like the two teams, two grounds thing. Crowds of 80,000 are a rarity, and the prospect of Renegades home games against the Stars selling out encourages Renegades fans to buy memberships.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
I always hear about how hard Etihad is to get to (which is bullshit, but I digress...) compared to the MCG. Surely if it's harder for people coming from the S/E then it's easier for people coming from the N/W?

I like the two teams, two grounds thing. Crowds of 80,000 are a rarity, and the prospect of Renegades home games against the Stars selling out encourages Renegades fans to buy memberships.

I dunno if that was directed at me or not, but I was only talking about me - yes, I live in the hipster northern suburbs, and it's much quicker and easier for me to get to the G.

I don't know how the trains work in other suburbs, but I'd imagine that if your train didn't stop at Jolimont or Richmond stations it would be much of a muchness.

Jul 14, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Pats|Liverpool|Bayern|AFC Wimbledon

Yes it is easier to get to and from Etihad from the N/W, only because you don't have to get off a train and walk across to the next platform to catch a train to Richmond.

Back