AFLW Should the Richmond vs Brisbane game be moved to Punt Road?

Should the Richmond vs Brisbane game be moved to Punt Road?

• Yes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I was a little bothered by our decision to move our 3 Punt Road home games to Ikon Park. As the season wears on though, I am getting even more annoyed by it.

The girls train at Punt Road all season. They get used to the Punt Road dimensions and where the goals are. They play our official practice match against West Coast and defeat them quite comfortably (51-23). We then spend the entire season playing on foreign grounds?

Biggest howler of our introduction in my opinion. We get no revenue from attendances as they are free entry. Even then, there were only about 3,700 supporters there today at a stadium that can hold a capacity of 20K. Is an attendance of 3K with a reduced atmosphere compared to Punt Rd really worth the move to Ikon Park? What did they expect would happen when we are playing like this? A consistent 15K attendance?

We got torched by North Melbourne and Carlton there with all that open space. We probably would still have lost both games and maybe even got thrashed, but I think it would have at least been a lot closer at Punt Road. You know, the ground that we train on. We basically don’t have home ground advantage the whole season.

It was a silly decision to make in my opinion and I’d love it if we move at least the Brisbane game to Punt Road. We need to settle down a little and actually find our feet in the AFLW competition first before making these kind of decisions. Let’s just focus on performance over things like attendance.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Richmond got ahead of themselves, pure and simple.

The round 1 game i can understand with the novelty fractor but the round 3 and 7 games getting moved was just pure arrogance.

They can spin constuction work at Punt Road till the cows come home but they moved rounds 3 and 7 to that shithole because they expected 15k to show up to all games.

This might be crude but i am glad they got hammered today in front of no one because it serves the club right, it pretty much cancelled out anyone who lives in the southern or eastern suburbs from attending.

When the fixture came out, today was one i was going to go along too but once they moved it to that hole i was out, it takes me 1 hr and 15 min to get to the G, i wasn't going to go the extra distance for what is a 60 minute game.

Only people turning up in round 7 are the fanatics and family members.

MOVE ROUND 7 BACK TO PUNT ROAD, at least then the people going home on the train can stop by for a look, who is going out of their way on a friday evening fighting peak hour to go to Ikon Park, no one that's who.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Rather them keep playing at Ikon while they’re dishing up Carlton type performances. Let them earn the privilege to play on PRO. Jack Dyer would be turning in his grave if yesterday’s performance was on our hallowed turf.

The great man Jack “hair” Dyer would have been right behind women’s footy as would many of our other greats, Roy “always” Wright, Royce “love” Hart, Percy “gently” Bentley, Jack “cyst” Titus, Martin “trouser” Bolger, Matthew “romantic” Knights, Shane “tummy” Tuck, Alex “non-stop” Rance.

The thing about Richmond FC that you would be confident about is they will learn from and correct any errors. The women’s team isn’t all about year one performance and we just have to get things right over time.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
The great man Jack “hair” Dyer would have been right behind women’s footy as would many of our other greats, Roy “always” Wright, Royce “love” Hart, Percy “gently” Bentley, Jack “cyst” Titus, Martin “trouser” Bolger, Matthew “romantic” Knights, Shane “tummy” Tuck, Alex “non-stop” Rance.

The thing about Richmond FC that you would be confident about is they will learn from and correct any errors. The women’s team isn’t all about year one performance and we just have to get things right over time.
Yes they will improve and then they can come play at PRO. 😍

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
At worst the games should have been played at Cardinia , at least that’s convenient for those in SE , I fear only 1200 will turn up to lions game , however it sends a strong message to the board , we *en don’t like ikon , it was a s**t idea all along ,, so all is not lost , tbh it would have sent wrong message had ikon been packed , they would never get cracking with development

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

You make a good point not getting it right in year 1 is no great shakes , Coll ( no finals ) and blues (Spoon) were crap in first few years

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Based on his logic we should struggle at the MCG because Punt Road is a Docklands shaped oval.
Yeah, if it was our first ever game at the MCG. Don’t compare a side that has not ever played AFLW or at Ikon Park to one that has played at the MCG for over 50 years as its home ground

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
We didn't lose by 50 points because the ground is the wrong shape.

Don't fall for the conspiracy theory.
Less open space means that we need to cover less ground to tackle and close space down. We definitely did not lose or even get thrashed because of the ground, but I do think that a part of why we got thrashed this badly was because we’re not yet experienced and fit enough to work with that much space.

It’s definitely not a farfetched idea to say that players new to a league would play best at the ground they train on so it isn’t a ‘conspiracy theory’.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Less open space means that we need to cover less ground to tackle and close space down. We definitely did not lose or even get thrashed because of the ground, but I do think that a part of why we got thrashed this badly was because we’re not yet experienced and fit enough to work with that much space.

It’s definitely not a farfetched idea to say that players new to a league would play best at the ground they train on so it isn’t a ‘conspiracy theory’.
Then we're not fit and experienced enough.

If the players are being psyched out by playing on a ground of different dimensions, then thats an Issue for the coaching staff, as that doesnt seem to be an issue for other Melbourne based clubs.

The tricky thing is a lot more than 3700 people would've turned up yesterday if it was at Punt Road. But for a 5.45pm Friday game, memories of the VFL blackout game there a couple years ago make me think this isn't just about capacity.

In any case, if only there was a nearby vacant ground with great lights and plenty of seats that Richmond supporters enjoy... (sure the place would look pretty damn empty for an AFLW game but so does Ikon Park for a non-Carlton game)

Well I’ve personally boycotted the games at ikon and with 3697 their yesterday , appears I’m not alone . Nothing against the girls this is a protest against an appalling decision
Bring back the bloody games to punt rd , couldn’t give a s**t if only 850 fit in ,,,and get crackin on the fu**en development
There’s other factors as well. With it still being cricket season, some of us have no chance to get to weekend day games. I’d love to attend, but had no chance last Sunday.

Back