Should the threat of nuclear war postpone the 2021 season?

Should the 2021 AFL season be postponed?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No (I'm a fringe theory lunatic)

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Godchin

Club Legend
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Now, you may read this thread title and think that I'm a raving lunatic but hear me out.

Back at the beginning of this year, I bet none of you thought that the measures undertaken in response to COVID-19 would have ever transpired. You would have laughed at me in January if I told you a virus in China would lead to a competition-wide shutdown and a revamped season with a new fixture and a hub system.

Whilst what is happening in regards to the virus is horrendous, I don't believe it measures up to the very real threat of nuclear war and a probable mass-extinction event. Nearly every single day we're bombarded with news of the political and trade tensions between the US and China (and even ourselves against China). These two nations are of the belief that they are all-powerful and both are run by stubborn individuals who are perpetually at loggerheads. This is a recipe for disaster and I am not alone in thinking that.

One of our unpaid moderators is quite knowledgeable on the topic and has even made the bold prediction that WW3 will break out before 2020 is over (that is, within the next 48 hours). This wager is based on the tireless (paid) work of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists who in 1947 created the famed indicator and metaphor of a doomsday event - The Doomsday Clock. As it currently sits, we are closer to global catastrophe than ever; being a mere 100 seconds from midnight. This figure is decided by a board that consists of 13 Nobel laureates, as well as MENSA members and nuclear physicists. I don't hear you scoffing now. If you want to ignore the ominous warnings from such esteemed individuals, then you may not have your head screwed on right.

Now, the idea for this thread came from a Carlton supporter who lives in Perth, and if you ask me, that already sounds close to midnight. But this isn't the time for jokes. To deny that we are on the precipice is akin to being a fringe theory lunatic whose beliefs fly in the face of science.

If we postponed the 2020 AFL season due to the threat of a virus, should we not postpone the 2021 season due to the threat of nuclear war?

• Banned
There was a threat of nuclear war between USSR and the USA from the 1950's till the late 1980's football went ahead
That's true but we're supposedly closer than even the years that saw the Cuban Missile Crisis and the peak of Cold War in the 1980s with the Soviets according to the Doomsday Clock.

doomsday-clock-figure.png

We are currently nowhere near as close to nuclear war as we were in October 1982 when A soviet submarine was a bee's dick away from launching a nuke.

I don't really understand how the Doomsday Clock works, seems to not be parallel to events in history.

According to the BBC during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the clock stood at 7 minutes which makes no ******* sense if you ask me

Now, you may read this thread title and think that I'm a raving lunatic but hear me out.

Back at the beginning of this year, I bet none of you thought that the measures undertaken in response to COVID-19 would have ever transpired. You would have laughed at me in January if I told you a virus in China would lead to a competition-wide shutdown and a revamped season with a new fixture and a hub system.

Whilst what is happening in regards to the virus is horrendous, I don't believe it measures up to the very real threat of nuclear war and a probable mass-extinction event. Nearly every single day we're bombarded with news of the political and trade tensions between the US and China (and even ourselves against China). These two nations are of the belief that they are all-powerful and both are run by stubborn individuals who are perpetually at loggerheads. This is a recipe for disaster and I am not alone in thinking that.

One of our unpaid moderators is quite knowledgeable on the topic and has even made the bold prediction that WW3 will break out before 2020 is over (that is, within the next 48 hours). This wager is based on the tireless (paid) work of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists who in 1947 created the famed indicator and metaphor of a doomsday event - The Doomsday Clock. As it currently sits, we are closer to global catastrophe than ever; being a mere 100 seconds from midnight. This figure is decided by a board that consists of 13 Nobel laureates, as well as MENSA members and nuclear physicists. I don't hear you scoffing now. If you want to ignore the ominous warnings from such esteemed individuals, then you may not have your head screwed on right.

Now, the idea for this thread came from a Carlton supporter who lives in Perth, and if you ask me, that already sounds close to midnight. But this isn't the time for jokes. To deny that we are on the precipice is akin to being a fringe theory lunatic whose beliefs fly in the face of science.

If we postponed the 2020 AFL season due to the threat of a virus, should we not postpone the 2021 season due to the threat of nuclear war?
If you have a cursory knowledge of the doomsday clock you would know that one of the main factors it takes into account is global warming. Do you think it may be more the increased threat of global warming that has moved the clock closer to midnight since the 80s, rather than the threat of nuclear war?

• Banned
If you have a cursory knowledge of the doomsday clock you would know that one of the main factors it takes into account is global warming. Do you think it may be more the increased threat of global warming that has moved the clock closer to midnight since the 80s, rather than the threat of nuclear war?
That's true but the recent tick to our current state is due to the threat of nuclear war. The chairman of the board explained it as being due to "the dangerous rivalry and hostility among the superpowers increases the likelihood of nuclear blunder."

The AFL will probably have a climate awareness round sometime in the future but I once bumped into Gill McLachlan at Red Rooster and he told me that he believes global warming is a hoax and not a threat to the competition. I could tell by his fidgety state that he was more worried by being unprepared for nuclear fallout around the Prahran area.

If there is a nuclear war then postponing the AFL season will be the least of our problems. I have been crawled up in a fetal position since March with all this covid stuff these positive threads are not helping me at all. I watched Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull the other day and he survived a close proximity nuclear explosion by pulling the shelves out of an old fridge and getting inside, the fridge was then luckily ejected far from the blast radius and he miraculously survived with barely a scratch. I think there is something in that for all of us, if you get warning head for the fridge just like Indiana Jones did.

If we postponed the 2020 AFL season due to the threat of a virus
But we didn't. State border closures prompted the postponement of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All well and good.
Postponing the footy arguably had some impact on the spread of a virus, allowing some form of management strategy to be put in place. Would it have any impact on the likelihood or result of a nuclear war? We aren't Switzerland, we aren't in a position to put a "natrional fallout shelter lockdown" in place.

Damn. Need to win early games. Ladder leader when the bomb goes off is declared the winner radioactively ... I mean retrospectively yeah?

Don't think I won't wander the wastelands shouting 17 to any mutant Essendon supporters I see. Same thing if the bomb does go off.

Back