Should the threat of nuclear war postpone the 2021 season?

Should the 2021 AFL season be postponed?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • No (I'm a fringe theory lunatic)

Votes: 36 73.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A moderator moved this thread to a different forum at 8pm on New Year's Eve.
Just let that sink in.

Now, you may read this thread title and think that I'm a raving lunatic but hear me out.

Back at the beginning of this year, I bet none of you thought that the measures undertaken in response to COVID-19 would have ever transpired. You would have laughed at me in January if I told you a virus in China would lead to a competition-wide shutdown and a revamped season with a new fixture and a hub system.

Whilst what is happening in regards to the virus is horrendous, I don't believe it measures up to the very real threat of nuclear war and a probable mass-extinction event. Nearly every single day we're bombarded with news of the political and trade tensions between the US and China (and even ourselves against China). These two nations are of the belief that they are all-powerful and both are run by stubborn individuals who are perpetually at loggerheads. This is a recipe for disaster and I am not alone in thinking that.

One of our unpaid moderators is quite knowledgeable on the topic and has even made the bold prediction that WW3 will break out before 2020 is over (that is, within the next 48 hours). This wager is based on the tireless (paid) work of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists who in 1947 created the famed indicator and metaphor of a doomsday event - The Doomsday Clock. As it currently sits, we are closer to global catastrophe than ever; being a mere 100 seconds from midnight. This figure is decided by a board that consists of 13 Nobel laureates, as well as MENSA members and nuclear physicists. I don't hear you scoffing now. If you want to ignore the ominous warnings from such esteemed individuals, then you may not have your head screwed on right.

Now, the idea for this thread came from a Carlton supporter who lives in Perth, and if you ask me, that already sounds close to midnight. But this isn't the time for jokes. To deny that we are on the precipice is akin to being a fringe theory lunatic whose beliefs fly in the face of science.

If we postponed the 2020 AFL season due to the threat of a virus, should we not postpone the 2021 season due to the threat of nuclear war?
Normally I’d laugh at this. However, I’m good at saying something will or won’t happen and the opposite occurs.

Covid is not a "threat". It is real.

unless you are one of those ageist fascists who don't love or even care about anyone above the age of 70.
Average age of death in Oz from Covid19 is 85.
It’s 83 in the US.
Way above the average life expectancy. Take your fear campaign elsewhere.

We are currently nowhere near as close to nuclear war as we were in October 1982 when A soviet submarine was a bee's dick away from launching a nuke.

I don't really understand how the Doomsday Clock works, seems to not be parallel to events in history.

According to the BBC during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the clock stood at 7 minutes which makes no ******* sense if you ask me

The Clock isn't updated continuously. It's every 2 years or so. So a critical event like the Cuban Missile Crisis can come and go and not have much of an effect on the clock (although the clock would have been moved to a few seconds to midnight if it was updated on the day of the Crisis!).

The reason we are so close to catastrophe now is due to:

1) The real threat of civilisation ending technology (genetic engineered virus, super bug, nanites, AI, LHC experiment gone astray etc).
2) Global warming, which is likely now irreversible and only going to get worse as the population expands, leading to mass food shortages, continuing mass extinctions of all life on the planet, environmental refugees, and resultant wars)
3) Disinformation warfare on an unprecedented scale (Russian 'hacking') leading to destabilisation of society and a rejection of institutions and rules based order that once contributed to keeping us safe.
4) The escalating and worsening nuclear situation (all NPT such as SALT and START treaties have now been torn up, hypersonic missiles are now in use that drastically reduce the margin for error, space is being militarised, Iran, North Korea, Pakistan and India are all now nuclear players, etc)
5) The embracing of right wing populism and nationalism globally in a rejection of liberal ideals of the late 20th century.
6) A more interventionist and belligerent Russia and China.

I had personally always presumed 2020 was the year we were going to see a large scale war between major powers (likely nuclear). While we saw that war play out in the disinformation campaigns, cyberwarfare attacks and trade wars between major powers, we luckily didnt see shots fired in anger.

Taiwan, the South China Sea, Putin getting cocky after the EU and US let him take Crimea and send troops to Syria and Venezuela, India and China's border dispute, North Korea doing something silly will be the likely flash points, Its between those players (China, Russia, the USA) that the majority of the cyberwarfare, disinformation campaigns and trade warfare has been playing out.

One slip up in the South China sea, or Putin ******* up with ordering one of his (repeated) MiG flyovers of the EU or trying the same on the USA and it getting interpreted as a pre-emptive strike, and we're ****ed.

We're closer than many people realise. And the situation is deteriorating.

5) The embracing of right wing populism and nationalism globally in a rejection of liberal ideals of the late 20th century.
Whereas left wing activists, with their proclivity for silencing opposing views on university campuses, tearing down statues of historical figures, censorship of the internet, and taking a knee to BLM (which promotes a Marxist ideology and dismantling of the traditional family unit), is a beacon of defence for liberal ideals of the 20th Century?

If we postponed the 2020 AFL season due to the threat of a virus, should we not postpone the 2021 season due to the threat of nuclear war?
I didn’t think you could catch nuclear war and transmit it to the elderly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whole thread is a thinly veiled swipe at my prediction of an impending global conflict (potentially nuclear) by the OP, who is (of course) an alias and noted troll, who has a grudge against me.

It can rot here with the lizard people fearing flat earthers as far as I care.

Whole thread is a thinly veiled swipe at my prediction of an impending global conflict (potentially nuclear) by the OP, who is (of course) an alias and noted troll, who has a grudge against me.

It can rot here with the lizard people fearing flat earthers as far as I care.
Can you tell me what my supposed alt-account is? You've been banging on about it for years (obsessed much?) and I'm just really curious as to which other poster you think it is. I'd love to have a chat with him/her.

Having said that, I just searched how many times you've called someone a "troll" and it came up with 10 pages of results (almost 200 hits!) and that's just in the last 4 years! "Alias" returns almost 70 hits in the same period! Then there's "alt account" amongst other variations that return a multitude of results. I'm glad you've found your place on the conspiracy board.

I know your criteria for classifying someone as a troll is quite low (perhaps the lowest ever seen on an internet forum, anywhere) but I think you're a little obsessed.

It must be sad knowing that all the people you ban for not having virtually identical beliefs as you are probably just making a new gmail account, resetting their router/using their phone, clearing their cookies and making a brand spanking new BigFooty account all within 3 minutes.

You're the one who told everyone on the SRP to hold you to your prediction as well...

What's your new prediction for this impending global event?

It must be sad knowing that all the people you ban for not having virtually identical beliefs as you are probably just making a new gmail account, resetting their router/using their phone, clearing their cookies and making a brand spanking new BigFooty account all within 3 minutes.

Perhaps its a question of perspective.

Personally I find it infinitely sadder that incel losers have such s**t lives that they feel the need to do the above, instead of just playing by the rules and not being dickheads, and then lie about it to themselves and others to make themselves feel better.

What a life they must lead.

Its actually hilarious you're the one conducting a meticulous internet search of years of my 35,000+ posts, sifting through them and counting my word usage, then posting about it on an alt account, for no other reason than to troll a stranger on the internet, while lying about it, and calling me 'sad'.

Get some insight before its too late brother.

Last edited:
Never got the impression Malifice is a bad person despite multiple suspensions, some of which were unwarranted. He just believes that if you have a perspective that lies outside the boundaries of his own paradigm, it shouldn’t be heard.

Never got the impression Malifice is a bad person despite multiple suspensions, some of which were unwarranted. He just believes that if you have a perspective that lies outside the boundaries of his own paradigm, it shouldn’t be heard.

No, I believe that I dont want SRP turning into r/the donald, /pol or worse places that have all now been banned for hosting the sorts of racist posts (and you literally have admitted your racism) you try and post there.

I dont know if you've noticed but social media companies from Twitter to Reddit to 4Chan to Insta and Facebook are banning that s**t due to the toxic nature of it, and companies like Parler and 8Kun are getting smashed as well.

If you want that sort of 'experience' head to Parler or thedonald.win and go nuts. It's not appropriate for SRP.

No, I believe that I dont want SRP turning into r/the donald, /pol or worse places that have all now been banned for hosting the sorts of racist posts (and you literally have admitted your racism) you try and post there.

I dont know if you've noticed but social media companies from Twitter to Reddit to 4Chan to Insta and Facebook are banning that sh*t due to the toxic nature of it, and companies like Parler and 8Kun are getting smashed as well.

If you want that sort of 'experience' head to Parler or thedonald.win and go nuts. It's not appropriate for SRP.
I'm sure a lot of hate speech/planning of illegal activities etc has been uttered and instigated on Facebook and Twitter...... not much chance of them being shut down though as they are paragons of virtue.:think:

You can label me whatever you like. It’s meaningless.

Lefties of one denomination or another control most of the world’s nukes, so it’s really down to them.

Back