Autopsy Should There Be A Bye After Prelim Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I was thinking why shouldn't we have a bye after the prelim? Lets both teams rest and reduces stress that players may not pull up. Nobody wants to see a player miss out due to playing their heart out in the prelim.

Also it doesn't disadvantage both GF teams.

Was thinking about this yesterday. Get rid of pre-finals bye, have the bye the week before the GF. Two advantages I can think of is that it would build the case for GF being held at home game of highest placed grand finalist (as more time for people to make arrangements) and would also leave the weekend free for attention to be focussed on state-league grand finals.

Regards

S. Pete

If it replaces the pre-finals bye then it has some merit. However some people have just been complaining that Richmond only playing 1 week out of 3 hurt them in the prelim. If introduced would this just push that excuse to the grand final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it replaces the pre-finals bye then it has some merit. However some people have just been complaining that Richmond only playing 1 week out of 3 hurt them in the prelim. If introduced would this just push that excuse to the grand final?
It's a rubbish excuse

There shouldn’t be byes at all. Would players even want it? Just feels like if you have a great prelim the last thing you would want is to take a week off. Just hit the ground running.

The only byes that should exist is mid season and the ones afforded to the winning top 4.

If the bye pre finals is scrapped.

Week 1 - Win QF
Week 2 - Off
Week 3 - PF
Week 4 - Off
Week 5 - GF

It really begs the question of how critical the split in momentum is. I mean, does it matter? At a minimum the AFL should survey the players, coaches and conditioning staff and get their input on what they feel the week off does.

I think at worst you’re playing 3 games in 5 weeks, and your opponent may do the same or could do the following;

Week 1 - EF / QF
Week 2 - SF
Week 3 - PF
Week 4 - Off
Week 5 - GF

So you play an extra game. The theory of Richmond only playing 2 games in a month fails to be relevant if the same thing applied to WC and they won their PF easily.

I like the idea. You get a good break to get the team 100% and also ensure that both teams are fully recovered pre GF, so no excuses re flights and preparation etc.

Get rid of the pre finals bye which takes away the advantage afforded to the qualifying finals winners. Don’t need an extra bye after the prelims, winning a premiership is all about managing your list and if players are injured so be it. The only byes in August and September should be given to the 2 winners of the qualifying finals, the rest can just play through.

Scrap the pre finals bye. Have the bye after Prelim week, host the Brownlow on prime time Saturday night with the state league grand finals as a lead in. So you would have in Victoria: VFLW Grand final- VFL Grand Final - Brownlow medal as the Saturday. All Australian ceremony could be moved to be included as a lead in on Brownlow night itself too. U18 Grand Final can be the Fox Friday Night as well.

I was thinking why shouldn't we have a bye after the prelim? Lets both teams rest and reduces stress that players may not pull up. Nobody wants to see a player miss out due to playing their heart out in the prelim.

Also it doesn't disadvantage both GF teams.
Agreed. Except give them a 3 week break after the prelim. Really let them stretch their legs out. And knees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back