Should there be shorter quarters in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

game is too long. and if there isn't a goal or a band playing every 30 seconds i'll just find something else to do. i don't have time to watch a rolling contested maul with 70 players per square metre.

No. Why would anyone sane want less of the game they claim to love?
The people that work in media and lots of night games would make them happier to have shorter games.
That is why, as other have said, some in media push it to suit themselves and they try to make it seem like younger generations have shorter attention spans so got to cater for a generation that cannot keep still for over two hours to watch a sporting contest.
It is absolute s**t but they try to sell it that way and suits their agenda to get home sooner from night games from the media commitments.

Last edited:
Was this thread started by another AFL moron? Of course, it should return to 20 minutes. Stop fecking with the game. Short quarters do nothing to halt Covid. Stupid Thread. Return all rules to pre 2000. It will be GREAT again.

I enjoy a good thrashing. What's with this idea of constantly trying to make everything equal in terms of AFL, how f*n boring would it be if every team was good, everyone was a winning, every game was decided by 5-10 points. BORING AS F....

Short attention spans are the problem, modern generations want everything now. The idea that Aussie rules footy is a long haul sport where your team may be sh*t for a decade turns younger people off. My advice is follow footy as people used to, don't wrap your whole life in it and you'll get through a decade of mediocrity and then when the success does come it's all the more sweeter.
Yep, people are so ****ed today.
Everythying else aside, thats simple bold faced truth of the matter.
Or any matter.

Because Hocking is a clueless meddling campaigner who thinks that he isnt doing his job unless he is changing things.

Mayne his job should be protecting the game from stupid changes.

Is there any reason to not roll all the ruleschanges back 15 or 20 years ?

He didn’t want shorter quarters, that was more for just this season with expected short turnarounds.

If we got in a covid related pickle again (I think at worst we’d have hubs and they’d be playing normally once a week), but if you somehow had to play a lot of games in a short period, I’d keep 20 minute quarters but go with increased interchange instead (6 or 8 on the bench or whatever).

I think 99% of people who watch the game realise shorter quarters don’t improve the spectacle in anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True.....

Going from 20 minutes to 16 minutes, there was only one Positive: Less Thrashings. How many 100 point losses happened in 2020? None from what I saw.

AFL will spin it and label any rule changes as a Positive.

Why is that a good thing? Instead of losing by 100 they lose by 80, not sure that’s progress.

I enjoy a good thrashing. What's with this idea of constantly trying to make everything equal in terms of AFL, how f*n boring would it be if every team was good, everyone was a winning, every game was decided by 5-10 points. BORING AS F....

Short attention spans are the problem, modern generations want everything now. The idea that Aussie rules footy is a long haul sport where your team may be sh*t for a decade turns younger people off. My advice is follow footy as people used to, don't wrap your whole life in it and you'll get through a decade of mediocrity and then when the success does come it's all the more sweeter.

No different to other sports around the world in regards to sides being potentially crap for long periods.

The people that work in media and lots of night games would make them happier to have shorter games.
That is why, as other have said, some in media push it to suit themselves and they try to make it seem like younger generations have shorter attention spans so got to cater for a generation that cannot keep still for over two hours to watch a sporting contest.
It is absolute sh*t but they try to sell it that way and suits their agenda to get home sooner from night games from the media commitments.

I actually think majority in the media seem to want 20 min quarters again.

Just a few here and there who don’t.

I would hope not, because that was an incredibly stupid amendment in the first place.

Shorter quarters makes no difference to anything Covid related whatsoever. Just stupid grandstanding by the AFL.
I would hope so, allows flexibility to compress fixtures if needed and doesn’t take away from the spectacle. Also brings in more of the younger & more casual watchers as the normal length game is pretty long.

adjust interchanges down further, add 2 more games to the season and I reckon we‘re heading in the right direction.

I would hope so, allows flexibility to compress fixtures if needed and doesn’t take away from the spectacle. Also brings in more of the younger & more casual watchers as the normal length game is pretty long.

adjust interchanges down further, add 2 more games to the season and I reckon we‘re heading in the right direction.

Is there any actual evidence that more younger people and more casual watchers will tune in to games if there are shorter quarters?

People are either interested in watching AFL or they aren't, I don't think the length of quarters will make much difference.

TV ratings may have been higher last season but that was mostly due to people being in lockdown and having nothing better to do than watch football on tv.

I've never thought of AFL games as being too long either, 20 minute quarters makes AFL games the same length as rugby games and they aren't reducing the length of their halves.

Why is that a good thing? Instead of losing by 100 they lose by 80, not sure that’s progress.
Just need to look at who finished bottom.

Yeah the crows finished bottom. It wasn't like they were being beaten by 10 goals each week.

Yes they were 0-13 but should of won 2-4 narrow games on the 1st 10 gakes of the season

He didn’t want shorter quarters, that was more for just this season with expected short turnarounds.

If we got in a covid related pickle again (I think at worst we’d have hubs and they’d be playing normally once a week), but if you somehow had to play a lot of games in a short period, I’d keep 20 minute quarters but go with increased interchange instead (6 or 8 on the bench or whatever).

I think 99% of people who watch the game realise shorter quarters don’t improve the spectacle in anyway.

But Ch7 get more ad breaks.

And they make the rules.

Is there any actual evidence that more younger people and more casual watchers will tune in to games if there are shorter quarters?

People are either interested in watching AFL or they aren't, I don't think the length of quarters will make much difference.

TV ratings may have been higher last season but that was mostly due to people being in lockdown and having nothing better to do than watch football on tv.

I've never thought of AFL games as being too long either, 20 minute quarters makes AFL games the same length as rugby games and they aren't reducing the length of their halves.
Not that I like comparing to rugby, but aren’t they 40 halves with 10 break vs 20 min plus time on for footy (approx 30) minute quarters, 20 minute half time plus 6 minute QT breaks.

overall 90 vs about 150 minutes? I’d say that’s a bit of a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back