Should WA secede from Australia?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
They've tried many times throughout history and failed.

Now is a good time to try especially with the border wars going on between the WA government and Clive Palmer.
Scomo has made it clear he wants WA to remove its hard border too.

Idea gets occasional attention from UTC+8 wingnuts looking for a vehicle for their "Let's not have government do anything" views.

Realistically secession is never going to be a good idea. We have too few population to be able to cope on our own. We'd need to throw open the borders and let in about 5 million new people, But since we're only 2 million to start with we would be rather swamped with new arrivals who would probably immediately vote for reunion with Australia. Without a population influx we'd remain an isolated backwater, albeit a very nice one, if we decided to go it alone.

Maybe we could just persaude the other states to suspend QLD from the Federation for a time, like until Clive Palmer dies. That would probably be easier.

Realistically secession is never going to be a good idea. We have too few population to be able to cope on our own. We'd need to throw open the borders and let in about 5 million new people, But since we're only 2 million to start with we would be rather swamped with new arrivals who would probably immediately vote for reunion with Australia. Without a population influx we'd remain an isolated backwater, albeit a very nice one, if we decided to go it alone.

Maybe we could just persaude the other states to suspend QLD from the Federation for a time, like until Clive Palmer dies. That would probably be easier.
there are many other countries that have succeeded

That's how WA's endeavours to leave Australia the first time failed and in fact forced WA to join in the first place.

Victorian unions, flooded Kalgoorlie with union members and put forward a secession movement for Kal and surrounds to secede. This would have bankrupted WA. This is why we are a notable absent in our nation's constitution!

WHEREAS the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:

And whereas it is expedient to provide for the admission into the Commonwealth of other Australasian Colonies and possessions of the Queen:

Be it therefore enacted by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

The only question that needs to be asked, is what should the new nation be known as?

They've tried many times throughout history and failed.

Now is a good time to try especially with the border wars going on between the WA government and Clive Palmer.
Scomo has made it clear he wants WA to remove its hard border too.

Do you know any of the details of the issue.
As an expat Sandgroper living in Vic, I've always been surprised by the total lack of knowledge.

Do you know any of the details of the issue.
As an expat Sandgroper living in Vic, I've always been surprised by the total lack of knowledge.

My favourite "lack of knowledge" story when I came to WA was at Bankwest. I was opening an account and gave my Adelaide address for postage.

I got to "South Australia" and the bank teller looked up and asked if South Australia was in New South Wales.

I simply didn't know how to answer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let 'em, then with it's inevitable failure, we step, nationalise the mines and formalise WA's position as Australia's pit.
We would more likely sell WA to some private enterprise at a depressed value. Our government would proclaim success because we don’t have to pay debt interest for what should be a high revenue generating national asset.

My favourite "lack of knowledge" story when I came to WA was at Bankwest. I was opening an account and gave my Adelaide address for postage.

I got to "South Australia" and the bank teller looked up and asked if South Australia was in New South Wales.

I simply didn't know how to answer.

Such is our education system.

Sydney and Melbourne are the top dogs.

Thats where the paper shufflers (sic) and latte sippers are working from home, meanwhile:

Rio Tinto issues $3.4b to shareholders as Chinese demand bolsters iron ore prices

Rio Tinto has issued a multibillion-dollar dividend to shareholders as Chinese demand bolsters iron ore production levels.

&

Fortescue ships record tonnes amid surging iron ore prices
Fortescue Metals Group chief executive Elizabeth Gaines atop a shiploader at the iron ore miner’s Port Hedland facilities
Fortescue Metals Group chief executive Elizabeth Gaines atop a shiploader at the iron ore miner’s Port Hedland facilities

Fortescue Metals group has smashed through its own production records, shipping 178.2 million tonnes of Pilbara iron ore last financial year and saying it realised a bumper average price for its products.
Fortescue released its June quarter production report on Thursday, saying it had easily beaten the 177 million tonne top end of its annual production guidance for the financial year, and shipped a record 47.3m tonnes in the June quarter.

Thats where the paper shufflers (sic) and latte sippers are working from home, meanwhile:

Rio Tinto issues $3.4b to shareholders as Chinese demand bolsters iron ore prices

Rio Tinto has issued a multibillion-dollar dividend to shareholders as Chinese demand bolsters iron ore production levels.

&

Fortescue ships record tonnes amid surging iron ore prices

Fortescue Metals group has smashed through its own production records, shipping 178.2 million tonnes of Pilbara iron ore last financial year and saying it realised a bumper average price for its products.
Fortescue released its June quarter production report on Thursday, saying it had easily beaten the 177 million tonne top end of its annual production guidance for the financial year, and shipped a record 47.3m tonnes in the June quarter.

Not only are the tons up but the USD$ per ton up and our FX down. This is great for FMG and WA.

It will get harder though when Brazil comes back online.

Maybe you guys should secede Kwality as you've shown you can stand on your own feet and more.

Happy living in Melbourne so its academic & your comments cried out .... imagine the Aus economy without China.

40-60% lower GDP based on pre boom figures

It so easily forgotten

Hopefully India, Middle East, SE Asia and Africa take up the slack as China becomes more self sufficient and starts to feel the impact of privacy laws and the massive depopulation. From memory, China is expected to lose 500m people by the end of the century

Back