Should we adopt this at our games - THE VIKING CLAP -

Remove this Banner Ad

The Canberra Raiders can get away with it because they've had a Viking on their logo since they were formed in 1982 and their mascot is Victor the Viking. Also Bruce Stadium is as cold as Icelandic snow storm during winter, worst place in the world to watch footy.

View attachment 1324557

It would be a stupid idea for us embrace it.

The funny part is that Vikings Helmets never had horns and from a practicality point of view in hand to hand conflict they would put the wearer at a huge disadvantage. I am going to wear a thing tied to a part of my body that if you get a hold of you will have almost complete control of me.

It doesn't marry up - not sure where the rape and pillaging part fits into our history just quietly.

The Club has a Scottish angle worth some thought though.

The tune of our theme song is based on an old Scottish number and the suburb also had its fair share of Scottish immigrants back in the formative years of the Club.

Let's get the Highland band back with the snare drums and throw in some bagpipes. Not hard really.

So Viking clap out and wearing kilts in

I would love it if there was some sort of uniquely NMFC fan engagement at games that everyone could get behind but I suspect the only one that most on here would agree to is sitting quietly in fear of doing something that might attract attention or be in any way "cringey".

This. Everyone complains that the atmosphere isn't as good as it could be, but when anything more sophisticated than some cousin of 'Aussie, Aussie, Aussie. Oi, Oi, Oi' is proposed, everyone's like 'Nah'

Classic Australian tall poppy syndrome in action.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the oppo is lining up for a goal we all start chanting 'Hold . . . holllld . . . hollllllllllllllld . . . ' and when he's about 2 steps from kicking we all start screaming like a bunch of crazed Scotsmen.
If that doesn't put him off, flipping our kilts up and baring our birthday suit just might!
1644454837269-png.1325182

1644892132545.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back