List Mgmt. Should we ask the AFL for a Priority Pick?

Should we ask for a Priority Pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh i wouldn’t say no. I just think in parallel we need some internal man conversations about how we got here if we are to get out of the hole

I’d ask for a pp all day long

We're quite likely just going over old ground with those conversations, at this point with very little if anything to be gained from it. We did have an external review after we initially imploded (After our players downed tools near the end of 2019), one that ended up resulting in a cleanout of our off-field staff, and we've replaced Chapman and Fagan with Olsen and Silvers.

That said, I agree, you'd be stupid to not ask for a PP if you're at the bottom of the table.

Whilst it's pretty much doom and gloom at the moment, in the preseason, most people said that a good result this year would be 5-6 wins as it shows we are improving. Given that we've made that mark, how do we feel now? Apart from the last 2 weeks and GWS game, we've been competitive in most matches, are we on the right track? I've liked what I've seen when our skills have been able to keep up with the game plan (usually for 3 quarters, how bad we are in the other one has determined the match result but it's usually been baaaaad), butts and schoey are looking good, TT obviously looks to be a future gun, murray is an unexpected bonus, getting games (if not better roles) into the kids. Is this year just part of the gradual process of getting better? We're at least 3-4 years off so do we just have to be patient and look to the draft?
Nailed it...

No. We caused are position. We aren't struggling to keep talent. We would put up the biggest fight if another club in our position did the same thing. Priority picks shouldn't exist.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
When we get talent the talent leaves. We aren't losing talent now because we don't have any.

When we get talent the talent leaves. We aren't losing talent now because we don't have any.
We hit the draft in 2019 and haven't lost anyone since. We traded out alot of players and really, out of all the players we lost over the years only 3 have really gone on to have decent careers. Bottom line is no, we don't deserve a priority pick because we caused our position through creating a poor culture.

We hit the draft in 2019 and haven't lost anyone since. We traded out alot of players and really, out of all the players we lost over the years only 3 have really gone on to have decent careers. Bottom line is no, we don't deserve a priority pick because we caused our position through creating a poor culture.

Like every other team to receive a priority pick?

I don’t think there are many clubs chasing much of our “talent” drafted since 2019.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think there are many clubs chasing much of our “talent” drafted since 2019.

I mean it's only been two years, though some teams were interested in McAsey a while back.

I'm certain the question is being asked about Berry as well. Gollant maybe after his start in the SANFL.

If we were to finish bottom this year and not receive a priority pick, it would make next year interesting.

Think a few more of the older guys exit, will Tex and Seedsman play at this level?

If we finish bottom 2 next year we could seriously be looking at a priority pick.
Seedsman is only 29. Not sure why you have him close to retirement like Tex.

More likely Talia, Mackay, Lynch & even Brown with his injuries.

We need to be asking now for one, we won’t get it this year but it sets up one for next year. 3 poor years in a row will almost demand one.
we only got wins due to Tex turning in some great performance, when Tex was out we couldn’t even score. One year older and who knows what the Texan will be like plus Sloane being awful. After all these years of watching other clubs get them, it’s our turn.

Agree with this sentiment in the 25 + age group. We do have a few good young kids coming through which will be hard to keep if we have another couple of bottom 2 finishing years. Our major problem has been our drafting and inability to bring in genuine talent through the trade. This has been caused by an overvaluing of our list backed up by incompetent list management (overpaying ) which has resulted in decent young talent walking out the door and not having the cap space to attract players with more talent. Until we get rid of Riccuito, Reid, Ogilvie not a lot will change and our pain will only be extended.

Last edited:
Back