Opinion Should we consider bringing Noble back

should we bring Noble back as our Football Department Head

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • No

Votes: 36 78.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not an obsession. Clarko is the best available but I want a quality coach at the club whether it's Clarko or someone else. I don't understand the attitude that we shouldn't go after the best and make it happen. I guess that's the difference between other clubs and the crows. We haven't had a decent coach there since Blight so I don't think it's unreasonable to want a quality coach at the helm.
They should take a crack. It's just very unlikely to happen and you need to come to terms with that. The way you keep bringing him up suggests you think it's a realistic chance. It's not. It's about as likely as us winning a flag this year.

people said the same about Malthouse before he went to carlton.
I think kick would have been fine if Carlton weren’t an absolute basket case of a club then.
If he’d been given sometime to start from the start rather than the club looking for the quick fix, he would have done ok I reckon.

In a way you only have few options. Bringing in fresh faces can be good because they also bring new ideas. Old faces with success in their CV can also be valuable. Already some have jumped back on the Balme options which is a great option and he is old but with a CV of success. Fresh faces isnt the only option.
I guess what I mean is I'd be looking at someone who hasn't had prior involvement with the club, whether they be a newly elevated guy from another club or a Balme-type

If we're not trying to, we're mad.

Sure, he was a crappy coach. But he'd been out of the coaching game for a long time before that - forming a reputation as one of the best operators in the game off the field. People can be good at some things and less good at others; Neil Balme was a pretty average coach too.

If we're not trying to, we're mad.

Sure, he was a crappy coach. But he'd been out of the coaching game for a long time before that - forming a reputation as one of the best operators in the game off the field. People can be good at some things and less good at others; Neil Balme was a pretty average coach too.

Neil Balme was an excellent coach

And Noble was a big part of the problems here.

We don't need any more Neil Craig era relics at our club, so unless he's changed his philosophies since he last worked for us, then it's a no from me.

Obviously F***ing not

Should we bring back Burton & Sando too?

FFS it’s not even a question. The bloke stinks of failure
I think Burton and Sando comparison with Noble is not a fair. I wouldnt bring back Burton or Sando but Noble has good history when looking at him as a Footy Dept boss. My personal thoughts are undecided. What I do believe though is that we have a problem in our footy dept and we need change. Exactly what that change is I dont truly know. What I do believe is that we arent moving forward. We have no young players shaping up to be elite (we have a couple that could be good players but not elite) yet we have had some great selection options in the draft. The best move we have made in recent years is the signing of Dawson.

I said previously that to me it feels like we are in our first year of a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like many other posters believe that there is something wrong with our footy department. Whether it be coaching, recruiting or player development something is wrong. I believe that whilst Noble was at the club heading the footy department the club enjoyed a lot of success albeit with no premiership. He also enjoyed success at Brisbane in a similar position.

Is it too far fetched to consider trying to get him back in his previous role at the club.

Would like to here peoples opinions but regardless I think we all agree that we have to do something different with our footy department.

What did we achieve in the decade + that he was with us? He would just perpetuate the existing culture and philosophies that we need to shed.

Last edited:
Apart from his stint at North.. noble has been quite successful. Correct me if I'm wrong but was he also part of the team when we had the Tippett saga and also the camp saga?

No, he hasn’t been successful at all and no, he wasn’t part of Tippett or the camp. But he did recruit Brett Burton to the club as head of fitness.

In a way you only have few options. Bringing in fresh faces can be good because they also bring new ideas. Old faces with success in their CV can also be valuable. Already some have jumped back on the Balme options which is a great option and he is old but with a CV of success. Fresh faces isnt the only option.

Where has Noble achieved success?

Also give Triggy and Craigy a call. Get the whole band back together.

The only guy I would bring back from that era would be Matt Rendell.
No one is saying we should bring back those guys. I am simply asking should we consider Noble because our current Footy Managers arent delivering us the rebuild we need. Its like we havent even passed year one. I was under the impression that Noble wasnt part of the problem and he certainly did a good job at the Lions.

I simply want the club to look at all good options out there and at the moment there doesnt seem to be many available. Balme OK but he's not interested. If Noble left on bad terms then forget it.

Randell might fix recruitment but I believe we have issues with player development and our coach has done his work but we need someone else to move us forward.

I said no

Not because I dont think Noble would be a good backroom guy - but because we need to stay away from these
knee jerk ''lets get him back ' reactions

Anytime someone remotely connected to the AFC is sacked, resigns or retires the call is out ''come back''

No - we have to move forward not ensconce these people into cushy sinecures

Back