Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers
This topic has come again on the main board a couple of times and it's something I feel pretty strongly about. I also feel strongly about Essendon's jumper design and how it has remained unchanged for 125 years.

I realize that for anything to happen, the EFC members need to vote on it, so it makes anything unlikely in the near future. Perhaps a compromise can be achieved.

I just think that it is too bloody difficult to tell who is who on the ground these days. The Melbourne-Fremantle match the other night was a nightmare. I had trouble when we played Carlton. I had trouble when Collingwood played Carlton. I had a LOT of trouble when Geelong played North in the rain. If you look close enough you can eventually figure it out, but there is too much squinting and calculation involved.

I think that our red slash on black design can be retained on a second jumper; we just need to have a second back, maybe with more red and white on it to distinguish us from the black and navy clubs better.

I've never had any trouble telling the difference at one of our games. The real push behind alternative strips is marketing and how much money clubs can make by having a different one each year, such as the soccer clubs do.

It's been ok for over 100 years so I see no reason to change it now :)

Same Old's, with inter-league games there were bound to be clashs where clubs had the same jumper so having alternate strips makes sense. The more recent policy of creating a new strip every year makes me a tad cynical about it's introduction into the AFL. It has only gained currency in the past few years as Ch$ have bitched and moaned about it.

Back