Should we experiment with Moore as a back-man?

Where would you play Darcy?

• KPF/RUCK

• KPD

• Swingman. 50/50.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No no and no.

Im actually very bullish about our backline going forward. We just need to get the strucutre right, work out who the best 6 are and get them playing together. Not have 3 slow big blokes in the forward line would make a massive difference as well. When the ball rebounds as quick as it did on Monday could have 3 Glen jakovich's and 3 Corey Enrights in the back 6 and you would not be able to stop goals.

If we cant get a combo out of Reid , Brown, Frost, Marsh, Howe , Ramsey, Williams , Langdon, Scharenberg and Maynard then I give up. The talent is their to build very strong back six.

Further to my previous post if we had defenders getting monstered and out marked constantly by opposition forwards Id be really concerned we don't have the talent . But this is not our issue. Our issue is that sides score too easily and to often out the back without pressure. When our defenders are able to defend they are not too bad.

To me this is a structural and coaching issue across the whole ground. Good defense these days starts in the forward line. We cannot keep it in their, it then moves to the midfield etc etc.

Against the Cats and the Dogs we seemed to have our structures right and our backline looked very good.

Something needs to change but I am convinced it is not about the talent or lack of.

Moore will be Collingwood's CHF for the next 10 years.

We really need to be looking for a quality FF to work in tandem with Moore for those 10 years.

Ala - Roughy and Buddy

Personally I like the idea of having Reid as an intercept mark defender who can zone off. Bloke reads the play well and can hit targets by foot from 55-60m.

Brown to play FB on the main forward such as Hawkins, Walker, Kennedy etc

Yeah, let's stifle his talent by putting him in the backline. He should be nowhere near there!

Let the alleged gurus at the club try and fix our problems down back another way.

Thoughts on restructuring our big men to get the most out of them?

Moore and Reid to hold FB and CHB.
I remember Moore starting up as a key defender in the VFL last year. Shifting Reid from forward to defense worked brilliantly for us when we tried it on him.
Them two could make the best key defense combo in the league.

I do think defense is more important to strengthen as the good team have a spread of 8-12 goal kickers a game these days. Bags of goals from a key forward arent as important as a key defender setting play up that assists the midfielders to score goals.

Reid can do this. Moore has potential to do this too.

Brown and Frost not so much.

Obviously this would open debate on how to structure the forward line.

Thoughts?
Trying to turn Moore into Heath Shaw would be a pointless exercise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on restructuring our big men to get the most out of them?

Moore and Reid to hold FB and CHB.
I remember Moore starting up as a key defender in the VFL last year. Shifting Reid from forward to defense worked brilliantly for us when we tried it on him.
Them two could make the best key defense combo in the league.

I do think defense is more important to strengthen as the good team have a spread of 8-12 goal kickers a game these days. Bags of goals from a key forward arent as important as a key defender setting play up that assists the midfielders to score goals.

Reid can do this. Moore has potential to do this too.

Brown and Frost not so much.

Obviously this would open debate on how to structure the forward line.

Thoughts?
I’d like to see Broomhead trialled down there too

Don’t mind Darcy playing a few minutes a quarter when we are under pressure like Sam Reid does, but not full time. Will make a great chf.

He should be a forward, but Buckley also needs to be willing to throw him back from time to time to halt momentum. It definitely worked against Melbourne in Round 23.

Sydney do it perfectly with Sam Reid. They actually play one less tall defender, and just throw Reid back when they need cover.

We'll have both Ben Reid and Moore who can do this job. So I think we can play a bit smaller down back because we'll have cover.

To be honest, I think Moore will make a terrific defender if played there. But it would be too big a sacrifice. I'd almost play him on a wing and give him a licence. Moore isn't a huge goal kicker, but he is probably our best target. Even the way the Saints use Riewoldt late in his career is a good example. Pretty much just put him on a wing and he followed the ball.

Moore is a perfect second ruck which is role we've been looking to fill for years. Leave him there.

Back