Should we experiment with Moore as a back-man?

Where would you play Darcy?

• KPF/RUCK

• KPD

• Swingman. 50/50.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Just a question, how is a guy as athletic as Moore with such a strong spring and dash ever be dour?
Just don't think he's that type of player.

His instincts. In the time he spent down back as a jnr and really early with us he always chose to spoil as a defender. Nothing wrong with that at all in terms of playing your role effectively, but with his sticky hands (top 5 league wide, IMO) he needs to be a J McGovern KPD not D Talia. Good development might flick that switch, but if it doesn’t I think we’re wasting our time.

You know me Scodog, what's my favourite term right now? And if we get it right it may be more than Moore to get excited about!

It’s been down there in the bottom 4 league wide for years now hasn’t it? For mine up to half the list could improve 5% with better development. If you have that many players having career years you will rise up the ladder regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) in other areas.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
His instincts. In the time he spent down back as a jnr and really early with us he always chose to spoil as a defender. Nothing wrong with that at all in terms of playing your role effectively, but with his sticky hands (top 5 league wide, IMO) he needs to be a J McGovern KPD not D Talia. Good development might flick that switch, but if it doesn’t I think we’re wasting our time.

It’s been down there in the bottom 4 league wide for years now hasn’t it? For mine up to half the list could improve 5% with better development. If you have that many players having career years you will rise up the ladder regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) in other areas.
All correct.

If Moore is go back if he's not a McGovern type then it's probably pointless.
We need to exploit Moores talents, in my view.
(Side note he can do bits of ruck work down back too).

Interesting to see where McLarty is at too for the season. You'd think he'll take over from Dunn at some point.
I also note that McLarty is really quite tall as well, 197 cm.

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I agree wholeheartedly with the above. If Moore is just going to play ay a dour defender then we are wasting him.

If he can develop into an intercept marking player who can generate a bit of run off half back then he could be a huge weapon.

Personally i think he should have a licence to play forward or back depending on the state of the game.

Justlokan

All Australian
Aug 24, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Everton
I suspect he'll replicate his dad and end up being a ruck. Not necessarily the primary ruck but someone who can work in tandem with Grundy while having stints up forward. With his athleticism he could even be converted into a Blicavs-type but with much better marking skills.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I'm firmly in the no camp on this one if it's a permanent or semi permanent move. Moore has found his feet as a roaming centre half forward who rucks. He has great value and improving form in that role. And will get better. I do like the idea of throwing him back but as a sometime defensive tactic. But we need a key forward and he is looking good in that role. I hope the murmurings are wrong and this is just a pre-season move like was initially described by the club.

DrDavoren

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would try him off a wing where he can float from Half Back and Half Forward he has good wheels and some freedom might allow him to grow in confidence.

Has worked well with Richo and Riewoldt in the past both similar athletically and skill wise.

I don't think he has enough bulk to play one out on a key post.

Just a question, how is a guy as athletic as Moore with such a strong spring and dash ever be dour?
Just don't think he's that type of player.
As a junior, when he played defence he stuck to his man, beat him, but rarely got the ball himself. I'd call that dour. To be a star from defence, a player needs impeccable judgement and game sense to know when to go and when to stay with their man. I just think that these areas are Moore's weakness.

dirts

Team Captain
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suspect he'll replicate his dad and end up being a ruck. Not necessarily the primary ruck but someone who can work in tandem with Grundy while having stints up forward. With his athleticism he could even be converted into a Blicavs-type but with much better marking skills.
I sort of see this too, and from what we saw last year I think his optimal role will be 70/30 forward/ruck and piss Cox off for backup ruck only, rather than a primary ruckman. I loved the energy Moore bought when he pinch it last year.

Problem is, with an apparent plan of playing Grundy and Cox in the same team and Darcy back - hard to see him getting many ruck duties next season to develop that.

I think the move down back surely signals the end of Reid as a backman and he will play deep forward next year. If Darcy is back, it squeezes out either schaz, Dunn or goldy IMO, with Mcclarty developing and probably getting a taste too. So you either take Goldsack out forward after what I think was almost a career year for Goldsack, or Reid is the only genuinely multi-positional guy capable of being redeployment.

For me - this says 2018 is transitional and it’s 2019 with a mature key forward like lynch at CHF they think it can click. Hell - if we are lucky, this is a sign to Lynch that we are so committed to him, we are pulling the trigger on Moore in preparation. As I want Moore forward and Reid back - if they don’t have Lynch in their pocket I will be pissed.

In summary, if they don’t have Lynch lined up for next year this is stupid. If tall that is true, I also think it means we draft for outside pace and skills (Coffield, Stephenson).

As a junior, when he played defence he stuck to his man, beat him, but rarely got the ball himself. I'd call that dour. To be a star from defence, a player needs impeccable judgement and game sense to know when to go and when to stay with their man. I just think that these areas are Moore's weakness.

I'd call it disciplined and unselfish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Moore is going to defence...

he won't simply be a stopper. As the secondary defender (to either Dunn or McLarty), he'll be used for intercept and help defence, and as an outlet player. Whatever he did in TAC Cup is irrelevant to this.

Unlike Reid, Moore has not failed as a forward, so I don't see this happening unless we've lined up a quality KPF for next year. We wouldn't do it for Crameri and are very unlikely to do it for a rookie, they'd need to be someone who is ready to go. Either that or we really think Cox is a star and will be our number 1 KPF (doubt this).

So for me, if Moore moves to defence, it's time to get excited. I think he's a certainty to star in the role and that it means we have a quality KPF lined up. All this means we will have completed our list build by the start of 2019, no waiting 3-4 years for a pick 6 KPF.

I would try him off a wing where he can float from Half Back and Half Forward he has good wheels and some freedom might allow him to grow in confidence.

Has worked well with Richo and Riewoldt in the past both similar athletically and skill wise.

I don't think he has enough bulk to play one out on a key post.
I like the idea.
The worry is we have nothing up forward in terms of a class forward and have not since Peter Mckenna.

Send him back to the VFL that's a worse idea. To say he needs to pull his finger out is stupid he just needs support
I reckon he needs to lift his intensity next season. If he does he will realise his full potential and be the match winner we need.

If Moore is going to defence...

he won't simply be a stopper. As the secondary defender (to either Dunn or McLarty), he'll be used for intercept and help defence, and as an outlet player. Whatever he did in TAC Cup is irrelevant to this.
To be used as an interceptor, he'll need to dramatically improve his game reading and judgement.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Fancy a chance Longmuir will instill the intercept marking into his game?

Exactly! we have been utterly terrible in development for a number of reasons that there is not enough cyberspace to note it all here but yep if the development improves the players improve and then rated where they should be

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I'm firmly in the no camp on this one if it's a permanent or semi permanent move. Moore has found his feet as a roaming centre half forward who rucks. He has great value and improving form in that role. And will get better. I do like the idea of throwing him back but as a sometime defensive tactic. But we need a key forward and he is looking good in that role. I hope the murmurings are wrong and this is just a pre-season move like was initially described by the club.
To be fair he did look quite confident in that last game (I went to), not all lost at sea because of the rubbish delivery from upfield

3rdMan

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
"Firmly" seems a hasty reaction.

Firstly, we don't even know it's happening yet, but let's assume it is:

What if we are signing a big name KPF in 2018? Let's say it's Lynch. Then I think the move makes complete sense. In that scenario we need a star KPD. Anyone we'll draft will take too long. We don't have the currency to trade or sign both a KPF and a KPD. So the only way to complete our spine is to move Moore into defence. We then have a completed spine, and for mine, a completed list build for the start of 2019.

I think if Lynch is coming, then moving Moore back is pretty much essential. Two star key forwards and no star key backs is just not going to work. With Moore in defence and Lynch up forward we have a beautifully balanced spine and a team that is ready to compete. Keep Moore forward and we have McLarty, an ageing Reid and any drafted players as key backs going into 2019. That's just not good enough to compete seriously.

Alternatively if we're moving him back simply because we feel it's his best position and we don't have a KPF on the way, then I'd be against it too, but we need to wait and see the full context.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
To be fair he did look quite confident in that last game (I went to), not all lost at sea because of the rubbish delivery from upfield

I'm confident Moore can play in defence and do well. But I don't think it's the best use of his talent for the team. I like the tactic of throwing him behind the ball to stem momentum. But only as a tactic and not a permanent move.

Back