Opinion Should we have a team in the women's league?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you missed last's night's Heroes on ABC TV please make the time to watch it.
http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/heroes/DC1702V001S00
The Crows coach Bec Goddard said "It's not just seven games and a grand final: it's equality and diversity and everything in one."

This is suggestion from a young girl growing up in the 50's playing footy out the streets with the boys.
A young girl who went to all the H&A games with her family in the 50's and 60's.
What was the only girl's winter sport in high school? Hockey :eek:

Please take a look.
Edit: it is only about 14 mins long.

do we have to be happy about the AWLLIK women's league or whatever it is? Do we have to like it? Or forever be condemned?
Last night's AFLW State of Origin game was googol times better than watching the Friday night's E J Whitten Legends game.
You do not have to watch it or support it, but perhaps one of your female relatives or friends may want to do so.
Yes, I'm an old retired female happy seeing the look of excitment on the young faces amongst last night's crowd.

Last edited:
My wife was pretty interested in the game. And apparently my daughter told her this week she wants to play for the Swannies.

I'm all for the AFLW.

I don't think constructive criticism should be banned. That would just be patronising.

My wife was pretty interested in the game. And apparently my daughter told her this week she wants to play for the Swannies.

I'm all for the AFLW.

I don't think constructive criticism should be banned. That would just be patronising.
Tom Harley will have the team waiting for your daughter :)
"SWANS chief executive-in-waiting Tom Harley has declared that establishing a Sydney women’s AFL team stands as his No.1 priority when he takes over the reins next year."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...8/news-story/eb2b610bc498fd75732a39d18585dfe3

I'm all for the AFLW.

I think it is great but last night unfortunately wasn't overly great due to the dominance of 1 side so started channel flicking. I think the AFL has lost a bit of momentum with the bye and filling it with Legends game and AFLW puts added pressure on those to live up to that momentum. There is a place for AFLW as far as being televised and they just need to get that right. Would like to see a few of them done as double headers with the mens game. Early days for it and love to see it grow. A Swans team would certainly get me more into it.

do we have to be happy about the AWLLIK women's league or whatever it is? Do we have to like it? Or forever be condemned?
You can like it or not, watch it or not. I'd rather watch a higher standard of football such as WAFL or the under 16 championships.

The U/18s game last night was excellent. The skills were far better than the senior game. In a few years time when these kids feed through the standard will improve immensely.

I really don't like being told that I must appreciate the skill etc off the "elite" woman players. Some of The woman's fitness levels are that of 3rd division SFL players, Tex Perkins is very much over weight so I can't accept she's elite. It's not a criticism, its fact.
And before you jump down my throat just have a look at the criticism levelled at some of the male players, and no one bats an eyelid.
I agree have a comp bit as I said don't force it down the publics throat as elite comp.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really don't like being told that I must appreciate the skill etc off the "elite" woman players. Some of The woman's fitness levels are that of 3rd division SFL players, Tex Perkins is very much over weight so I can't accept she's elite. It's not a criticism, its fact.
And before you jump down my throat just have a look at the criticism levelled at some of the male players, and no one bats an eyelid.
I agree have a comp bit as I said don't force it down the publics throat as elite comp.

I feel like this kind of attitude is like wilfully jumping at shadows.

Anyone who describes it as an "elite competition" (what that means exactly I'm not sure, such is the overuse of "elite" as an adjective in the world of football), I can only imagine would mean it as the elite of the women who play football. I have no idea who would be suggesting that those women could play in the "elite" competition of the AFL or the "elite" competition that is the VFL or WAFL or NEAFL or whatever else.

Media commentators talk it up because that's their purpose, to promote the game their broadcasters cover to increase viewership or readership. Watch it or don't. I personally watched one or two games last season and will probably watch another handful of AFLW games this year but the idea of bristling at calling them "elite" is a little disingenuous to me; of the people who are eligible to play in the AFLW, what else could you describe them as?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like this kind of attitude is like wilfully jumping at shadows.

Anyone who describes it as an "elite competition" (what that means exactly I'm not sure, such is the overuse of "elite" as an adjective in the world of football), I can only imagine would mean it as the elite of the women who play football. I have no idea who would be suggesting that those women could play in the "elite" competition of the AFL or the "elite" competition that is the VFL or WAFL or NEAFL or whatever else.

Media commentators talk it up because that's their purpose, to promote the game their broadcasters cover to increase viewership or readership. Watch it or don't. I personally watched one or two games last season and will probably watch another handful of AFLW games this year but the idea of bristling at calling them "elite" is a little disingenuous to me; of the people who are eligible to play in the AFLW, what else could you describe them as?

Well you've more or less summed up what I'm saying, the AFL and media call it elite and will have you believe it. I'm sure most know what it is

The definition of elite = a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

As such, the women that are playing in the AFLW are a small proportion of the total participants in women's Australian Rules competitions/leagues being deemed to be the best of the best. As such, I would suggest that is pretty much the definition of elite.

Is there a better group of female Australian Rules players in Australia (or the world)? No. Well that means this is the elite group then.

If however you are comparing them to all "Australian Rules players" (not gendered) then the definition of elite changes. Are they the best of the best in terms of both male or female Australian rules players? Largely no, I'd suggest not. It doesn't however mean they aren't the elite class of AFLW players though.

We can add Lolita-Luella and Florence McVeigh to father-daughter list :)

Remember this after our 2012 GF :)

DJkOo_PVoAAC-Ck.jpg

Maybe the girls will want to follow their AFLW heroines and become Giants
Hopefully our club will have everything sorted to "do it properly" by then

Firstly, I think if girls want to play footy then they should play footy.

I'm unconvinced that the recent surge in interest from girls in playing footy is for the sake of playing footy for its own sake. I suspect it's largely about achieving fame and fortune. Nothing wrong with that, except it should be noted that the fame and fortune enjoyed by the tiny proportion of men playing footy was achieved over 100 years of organic growth in interest in the game.

I am unconvinced that women are biologically suited to a game like footy. Either that or an absence of life experience (such as wrestling as a toddler) has left them injury prone.

If I was to be CEO of the Swans I would be waiting a couple of years before making a Sydney AFLW team a priority. I would, however, be ensuring everything was in place at a grass roots level, say NEAFL or Sydney AFL, for the development of a women's side from a bottom up perspective.

I'm unconvinced that the recent surge in interest from girls in playing footy is for the sake of playing footy for its own sake. I suspect it's largely about achieving fame and fortune. Nothing wrong with that, except it should be noted that the fame and fortune enjoyed by the tiny proportion of men playing footy was achieved over 100 years of organic growth in interest in the game.

I am unconvinced that women are biologically suited to a game like footy. Either that or an absence of life experience (such as wrestling as a toddler) has left them injury prone.

If I was to be CEO of the Swans I would be waiting a couple of years before making a Sydney AFLW team a priority. I would, however, be ensuring everything was in place at a grass roots level, say NEAFL or Sydney AFL, for the development of a women's side from a bottom up perspective.
SWANS chief executive-in-waiting Tom Harley has declared that establishing a Sydney women’s AFL team stands as his No.1 priority when he takes over the reins next year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...8/news-story/eb2b610bc498fd75732a39d18585dfe3

We (society) should be encouraging boys and girls to be the best they can be, that there are no road blocks. Dream big kiddies.

Aussie Rules, as an elite women's sport can help to achieve that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back