Opinion Should we have a team in the women's league?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it will. However I think it will struggle to attract a similar fanbase as this year.

Tend to disagree. Women can't compete with men physically but they don't need to. The competitiveness and skill level for women makes it a spectacle in the same way as netball is, and women's golf or tennis or soccer and cricket. It will undoubtedly be a success.

As for the lack of facilities argument , there are plenty of afl style grounds on which to train in sydney, cost of a gym or training equipment isn't prohibitive and besides you can organise sponsorship/ advertising contras with those suppliers to secure your needs. They would be falling over themselves for access to such deals with success of the league. Labour force costs a factor of course.........but I think it would pay it's way. It also portrays the swans as we'ed like- equal opportunity advocates. I don't see a lot of down side.

I think we should, and will, in time.

Not sure if Henson Park is an option, if the surface was improved. The men use it as for their intra match; location wise it is a winner.

Sorry - all respect for you Kirkswan but couldn't disagree more. I'm a woman with a 6 yr old daughter who is desperate to see women play AFL. Went to the GWS games in Blacktown and would love it if they played at the SCG even though its more of a hike for us now. Hopefully the more support the Swans see for the game, the more likely they will get behind it. And can't bear the GWS men's side. Just a totally different proposition for me...
Perhaps I worded my response poorly...

I have no objection to their being a woman's team or Sydney fielding one. I have sisters, nieces and friends with daughters as well, and would be happy for them to play and their to be a league for them. I am happy for the Swans to support the league and field a team when they have the facilities to do so.

Would I go to the games, buy membership etc... no, I'm just not that interested in watching the women play. And I have no intention of faking interest to be politically correct.

O

of course... winning premierships is far more important than giving women the same opportunity
I really think that that is misrepresenting what was said Nool Carpenna. From what I have seen, of the posts on here, no one is against giving women the same opportunities as men. But it is unrealistic to think that in the course of 12 or 18 months a full league will develop, and all the current AFL teams will be able to field full women's teams.

Sydney Swans is currently an AFL team. All statements from the club have indicated to me that they will look to field a WAFL team as soon as possible. The absolute worst thing that could happen imo, would be to rush into this and then have WAFL league fold. So baby steps, develop the league and every few years add a team or two; and make sure the league as whole is maintained as a stable enterprise the whole way through. The in 5-10 years time, we have two very stable, permanent sporting fixtures.

Too right........I'm desperate to see women play too! Especially when one lays on top of another in a tackle. Wonderful to watch.........enjoy it immensely.

Omg there I go objectifying women again. So disappointing living life in a gutter like that. Back to my counsellor I go.
I'm happy for you (and you're counselor lol ;)), but surely you're not expecting me to watch it or follow it because you do?

I don't watch ice hockey, womens basket ball, soft ball, men or womens wrestling either... but I do watch all swimming, all athletics and all tennis when I get the chance. I watch the cricket (ie test matches) when I get the chance, but not the one dayers or 20/20.

What interests me is a personal choice, not a political statement

I'm happy for you (and you're counselor lol ;)), but surely you're not expecting me to watch it or follow it because you do?

I don't watch ice hockey, womens basket ball, soft ball, men or womens wrestling either... but I do watch all swimming, all athletics and all tennis when I get the chance. I watch the cricket (ie test matches) when I get the chance, but not the one dayers or 20/20.

No if you don't like it......

lol I'm a sports nut. I've watched netball, cricket, soccer, tennis. not a fan of golf (men or women) and watched the womens afl GF. Enjoyed it.

Will they play at the same time of year as last season? If so, how will they play at the SCG when it will still be being used for cricket? Even the Swans can't get on the ground then.

If we have the infrastructure to support them, definitely yes. I'm not that interested watching it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't watch the GWS women's team

I wouldn't watch a Swans women's AFL team

I have no interest in any Women's AFL league or team

I don't see why watching and enjoying women's AFL needs to be a political statement? I just really enjoyed watching the women's game - it had a better skill level then I feared and there was real grunt and endeavour. My daughter certainly doesn't watch it as a political statement - she just loved watching people she could relate to and aspire to become. When I played AFL it wasn't a political statement - it was just thinking - this is bloody good fun and why wasn't this around 25 years ago when i had knees and enough time to get some skills.

I'd love to support a swans ladies footy team. I watched and really enjoyed a bit of the last season but my heart wasn't in it without a swans team. I'd be delighted if we got one. More footy!

Dilution will be the biggest problem the AFLW will have. Shocked when the fan survey came out and people wanted a full 18 team league as soon as possible; they had no idea.

We will get a team sooner or later, likely later. As long as the AFL doesn't stuff it up.

We will get a team sooner or later, likely later. As long as the AFL doesn't stuff it up.

To have a team we will need a redevelopment of Moore Park. I can't see that happening soon and/or who is going to supply the cash to do it? At the moment, it is not viable for the Swans to have a Women's team.

Not to mention why does Sydney need 2 AFLW teams? Personally, although a Swans team would be good, it is pointless to have 2 teams here.

GWS is setting itself up as a multi-sport club which is Smart by the AFL for their viability (Their Female Netball team played in the Grand Final of the national competition) and they have the facilities through Olympic Park/Western Sydney etc....

To have a team we will need a redevelopment of Moore Park. I can't see that happening soon and/or who is going to supply the cash to do it? At the moment, it is not viable for the Swans to have a Women's team.

Not to mention why does Sydney need 2 AFLW teams? Personally, although a Swans team would be good, it is pointless to have 2 teams here.

GWS is setting itself up as a multi-sport club which is Smart by the AFL for their viability (Their Female Netball team played in the Grand Final of the national competition) and they have the facilities through Olympic Park/Western Sydney etc....
It's obvious why they haven't but I've had chats with friends who have nothing to do with AFL & they couldn't understand why, in such a small league, the two clubs didn't come together & have a Sydney United type deal. Should it grow & one of those initial backers want to go out on their own then so be it... They can have the more wanky name like "heart" or something....

Too right........I'm desperate to see women play too! Especially when one lays on top of another in a tackle. Wonderful to watch.........enjoy it immensely.

Omg there I go objectifying women again. So disappointing living life in a gutter like that. Back to my counsellor I go.
Mate considering your post is in reply to someone talking about their six year old daughter, making jokes about objectifying women is in incredibly bad taste.

I enjoy your contributions usually; you're really out of line with that one.

They are establishing a Girls Swans Academy to build a talent pipeline for the Swans AFLW team. Don't worry, it's coming. And whether you're watching or not, it doesn't matter. Viewer figures for the AFLW were significant and out-rated a lot of AFL games.

On ONEPLUS A3010 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back