Should we have an insider thread on the forums.

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif

Yawn, every paragraph is so predictable. It's why I don't take anything coming from the coach, players and club at face value. It's all just white noise.
So if I understand it correctly, we complain when the club doesn't communicate with us, and we complain when they do. Is there a point where bigfooty could be used for something other than complaining? Personally I mostly use it for taking the piss...

Last edited:
So if I understand it correctly, we complain when the club doesn't communicate with us, and we complain when they do. Is there a point where bigfooty could be used for something other than complaining? Personally I mostly use it for taking the piss...

It was almost as if he'd read BF and thought "These campaigners reckon we're aloof and avoid the members. Its not good if members think that - I'll write them a letter trying to generate some support and build some bridges.

And then the snowflakes on here had a sook that he didn't individualised personalised letters to each of us and deliver them himself.

If you consider “we didn’t do well last week, we’ll try and do better this week, so pleeaassse turn up” to be sufficient communication then I pity your partner.

If you consider “we didn’t do well last week, we’ll try and do better this week, so pleeaassse turn up” to be sufficient communication then I pity your partner.

What else would you want or expect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was almost as if he'd read BF and thought "These campaigners reckon we're aloof and avoid the members. Its not good if members think that - I'll write them a letter trying to generate some support and build some bridges.

And then the snowflakes on here had a sook that he didn't individualised personalised letters to each of us and deliver them himself.
It's easy to categorise people in that way just to silence discontent. It assumes the complaints don't have merit. I'd argue losing another game to a different state is worth discussing and not "shhhh guys...we don't want to upset the club. let's trust them!"

oie_r6kQMStAgZuu.png

Attend games, buy merchandise, obey, stay asleep, don't ask questions - ignorance is strength

It's easy to categorise people in that way just to silence discontent. It assumes the complaints don't have merit. I'd argue losing another game to a different state is worth discussing and not "shhhh guys...we don't want to upset the club. let's trust them!"

View attachment 644544

Attend games, buy merchandise, obey, stay asleep, don't ask questions - ignorance is strength

That's as close to begging as you're gonna get the Chairman of our footy club to do btw and so it should be.

He's sent a letter to us asking us to turn up and support the team after a shitful performance last week, not to abandon them. If you're pissed off at their effort last week then don't repeat it by not turning up this week.

Do you support North Melbourne or not?

That's as close to begging as you're gonna get the Chairman of our footy club to do btw and so it should be.

He's sent a letter to us asking us to turn up and support the team after a shitful performance last week, not to abandon them. If you're pissed off at their effort last week then don't repeat it by not turning up this week.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I turn up each week either way. In fact, this club has taken roughly 30 times as many Melbourne games off me in the last decade as I've missed. The door swings both ways.

What's that got to do with being frustrated with the lack of transparency and answers off the field? This has nothing to do with performance on field.

I don't know if you've done that on purpose but this entire issue is centred around the Heath incident and how transparency can be improved. Nothing to do with "we are not happy with our performance!". It's how the community can be improved. The club can do what they please but it's very silly to dismiss a group of people. Especially those that want the best for the club because they love North Melbourne NOT because it is their job and are paid to do so.

It's probably easy to think of people on the internet as teenagers that don't deserve a response. Probably makes it easier for them to dismiss a sub section of the supporters. The reality is it isn't the case and there are a lot of smart people in here that are experts in their chosen area and would bring fresh ideas - and it's gotten to a point where if you deliver feedback you will get a generic response and therefore people won't bother.

Look at the general feedback:
  • membership process = s**t
  • replacement games issue = continual
  • media = general feel is it is declining
  • on-field performance = :drunk: and has been for some time (and I'm one of Scott's biggest fans so when I'm saying it we are almost at the end of the line)
  • communication = well we just got an email and we can only go up because after leaving big footy and refusing to answer questions it's almost rock bottom.
Things are going great at the moment :drunk:

How it should go:

1553922454046.png

How it's going at the moment:

1553922711856.png

You could do that across the board but from a community engagement perspective the loop is non-existent except for kids and whatever government/political agenda needs addressing in an effort to get some funding. Maybe some of that funding could go towards some community managers so everyone is included and not just a number on a spreadsheet forking over $$$

What's that got to do with being frustrated with the lack of transparency and answers off the field? This has nothing to do with performance on field.

I don't know if you've done that on purpose but this entire issue is centred around the Heath incident and how transparency can be improved. Nothing to do with "we are not happy with our performance!". It's how the community can be improved. The club can do what they please but it's very silly to dismiss a group of people. Especially those that want the best for the club because they love North Melbourne NOT because it is their job and are paid to do so.

It's probably easy to think of people on the internet as teenagers that don't deserve a response. Probably makes it easier for them to dismiss a sub section of the supporters. The reality is it isn't the case and there are a lot of smart people in here that are experts in their chosen area and would bring fresh ideas - and it's gotten to a point where if you deliver feedback you will get a generic response and therefore people won't bother.

• on-field performance = :drunk: and has been for some time (and I'm one of Scott's biggest fans so when I'm saying it we are almost at the end of the line)
  • communication = well we just got an email and we can only go up because after leaving big footy and refusing to answer questions it's almost rock bottom.

How it should go:

View attachment 644662

View attachment 644666

You could do that across the board but from a community engagement perspective the loop is non-existent except for kids and whatever government/political agenda needs addressing in an effort to get some funding. Maybe some of that funding could go towards some community managers so everyone is included and not just a number on a spreadsheet forking over $$$

You speak more truth than the average person can process.

How it should go:

View attachment 644662

View attachment 644666

That's totally cool. I'm onboard with all that.

But as has been said before by more than one person, that requires organisation and consultation with members across the board and then bringing it up at the AGM along with a potential challenge to board members etc etc. I think if you went with the membership debacle alone you'd get heaps of traction.

The club does try to keep engaged. Those annoying bloody surveys for example. They're about the best thing available aren't they? If you think not, write the club a snail mail letter with a bunch of signatures on it addressing your concerns. Cos letters do still get people's attention.

Finally - onfield performance. Its early rounds with a whole new look side. You won't honestly be able to assess whats happening until the start of May because it will take a while for us to develop an outside game (which is what Polec's for I presume.) Tomorrow will probably tell us something.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I turn up each week either way. In fact, this club has taken roughly 30 times as many Melbourne games off me in the last decade as I've missed. The door swings both ways.

Yeah mate, but there are other people on here that have suggested not going as a way to send a message about their pet grievance.

You are right. There's plenty of off field stuff that's been unacceptable low standard. The onfield stuff I'm not panicking over yet. The real question is what's the best way to get things fixed?

Yeah mate, but there are other people on here that have suggested not going as a way to send a message about their pet grievance.

I'll say two things on this.

1 - If we took the 1 or 2 extreme views on here as indicative of the whole group there'd be very little value in this community at large. A point that I feel Heath and the club should think about. Overall there is a hell of a lot more positive than negative in this little section of Bigfooty.

You are right. There's plenty of off field stuff that's been unacceptable low standard. The onfield stuff I'm not panicking over yet. The real question is what's the best way to get things fixed?

2 - On field or off? I mean, they obviously feed into each other in the sense that off field culture and management provides expectations but in general I don't overly subscribe to the theory that winning games / premierships is the most important thing the club, or at least the club executive side can do. We need to be a successful club in every facet off field - the wins should be the bonus, that take us from comfortable to powerful off field. They'll always come and go.

Off field I've made plenty of suggestions elsewhere but in simple terms I genuinely believe they should build an entire policy process across the club with every area of off field operations determining what they do and why they do it. That needs to be constantly reviewed and regularly identifying areas to be bigger, better and more innovative. In particular, if they're going to continue to sell games elsewhere they need to think long and hard about what needs to happen to make the Melbourne home (and away arguably) experience better. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that 7 home games is worse than 11 - they need to find ways to increase the value of the product in measurable ways. What they have done is essentially devalue the product for the last 7 years now.

In those 7 years there has been very little real growth in wages in this country. You can't keep taking value out of a product and be surprised when customers don't like it - that's not a surprise, it should be a fundamental assumption.

This shouldn't only include Victorian members, I talk about them first because Melbourne attending supporters are literally the lifeblood financially and PR wise for the club and because I know infinitely more about attending in Vic than other states. I just think we need to be systematic across the club about providing value and getting people involved. I think we need to constantly be pushing for innovation in membership. I think the Huddle work and media work has been strong for a long time, but I'd like to see the same thought go into membership. The word is the key, membership, it's not just a ticket to the game and needs to be more than that. It's time for the club to walk the walk about members being the lifeblood. I reckon plenty of other clubs are the same as us or worse, I don't see that as an excuse - I see that as a massive opportunity.

*Edit: Forget the number "2" on my two things and you have no idea how much it was annoying me seeing it missing...

Oh and one more point relating to on field performance and removal of home games. This is part of the inherent danger in increasing these games. Part of the whole PR from the club relates to our performances in Hobart. If we have a poor year on field - and in Hobart - while increasing these games, it is going to be very hard to spin that as a positive to the supporter group. It only works as a theory if we continue a 80%+ winning record. It's a gamble and if it goes wrong it could blow up in their faces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back