• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At the time the contract seemed too long, the thread is probably somewhere where it was discussed. Your right you never know when the decline will happen which is why we shouldn't have done as many long contracts for guys in their 30's that we have.

It might have been, though I do remember a bit more of an echo chamber of thinking the good times will last forever that always exists when a contract extension occurs whilst someone is on top of their game.

Even with it ending quickly, it's been a solid decision to sign that contract on our end. One high level of production, two average seasons for a declining small forward who at least still forces teams to worry about him, in what is a difficult position. Plus bought us time to find a replacement, which right now, we've got a couple of promising options (Stengle in particular shouldn't miss a beat compared to 2019 Betts) decently cheaply. An unfortunate factor in contract negotiation is how devoid we were of talent at that time in the small forward role.

Probably the only real negative was that implosion, but I can't assign any blame to Reid for that as that's completely out of his control. Or money depending on how much, 800k a year, and we can talk about that being a shithouse decision, 500k and it's pretty ok value.

Pick 48 eh
You should be laughing.

Anything more than token is overs. All depends on the money though.... But in the end you probably don't have salary issues next season anyway.

I’d be cautious on this deal as it’s only Jon Ralph and a Cameron a ITK poster has said next years fourth rounder

Carlton seem very keen on Eddie Betts - for a low range pick and for AFC to pay a healthy portion of his wage of course.
If this trade is facilitated, I wonder how long it will be before Wayne Milera asks for a trade to Carlton. Or, maybe they are just after Eddie's kids as father/sons and daughters!
I am not sure if I am a conspiracy theorist, or a pessimist.... or both!

I find it strange that Carlton didn't offer Dale Thomas another contract after having his best season in years yet are interested in Eddie who is cooked.

P.R., P.R., P.R! "We saved Eddie from big bad Adelaide who were mean to him"

If he was able to convince his Brisbane girlfriend to stay....but I think it was a win-win for him.

Sari isn't a Brisbane girl.... He purely went for the money and believe it if you want that he was over Adelaide. Hated the environment of the state... oh and his gambling problem.

P.R., P.R., P.R! "We saved Eddie from big bad Adelaide who were mean to him"

How's the "return of a superstar" status though? The club he's returning to is still the same club that 6 years ago didn't believe he was worth more than Daisy T.. Love Eddie and what he's done at our club, but flick my knob and call me barry these guys are front runners... Carlton that is.

I find it strange that Carlton didn't offer Dale Thomas another contract after having his best season in years yet are interested in Eddie who is cooked.
I think that was a terrible decision. Not like they needed to get rid of him.

Teauge also came across very unprofessionally talking about Betts weeks ago too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betts must value going back to Victoria very highly... If what is being reported is true taking a $200k pay cut for the same length contract doesn't make sense. I have no issue with the Crows moving him on but in his position as having a $600k contract for next year he surely can demand that cash either from the AFC directly or partly with the Blues

How's the "return of a superstar" status though? The club he's returning to is still the same club that 6 years ago didn't believe he was worth more than Daisy T.. Love Eddie and what he's done at our club, but flick my knob and call me barry these guys are front runners... Carlton that is.
I wouldn’t call Carlton front runner on what they achieved in the second half of last year

Is this common knowledge

Good question - guess you can take my knowledge of it with a pinch of salt if you like :) However, this was a problem with him living here. As I said he hated the environment of Adelaide. CC going to Brisbane has done him a world of good. He's removed the gambling out of his life and has begun to invest into real estate recently.

Good question - guess you can take my knowledge of it with a grain of salt if you like :) However, this was a problem with him living here. As I said he hated the environment of Adelaide. CC going to Brisbane has done him a world of good. He's removed the gambling out of his life and has begun to invest into real estate recently.
I think there maybe more than a grain of salt in that, I think you screwed the cap off

If we get 47 and only pay $100K of his salary that’s a very good result IMO

Agreed

I would have been fine with a token pick if Carlton were going to take on all of his salary, but if they wanted us to cover some of his salary then Carlton would have to meet us half way.

I think Pick 48 seems pretty fair under the circumstances.

Betts must value going back to Victoria very highly... If what is being reported is true taking a $200k pay cut for the same length contract doesn't make sense. I have no issue with the Crows moving him on but in his position as having a $600k contract for next year he surely can demand that cash either from the AFC directly or partly with the Blues
He has turned down a higher value and longer term contract from GC. Victoria certainly offers more to players returning in other ways.

Back