To trade or not to trade

• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters
Watch them let him go and then give Douglas another year (because we need experience).

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
If he wants to go then of course. He’s reportedly been offered a coaching role too.

For GC it’s a really important appointment given they are going to be handed the Darwin recruitment zone. In the coming years they can expect a good number of young indigenous kids, so who better to welcome them than Ed.

On that basis you can imagine just how attractive that proposition would be to him.

It’s a really good football fit all around. All parties can benefit

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
No way would I want to see him forced out, he's actually one of those experienced guys you want to keep around unlike the large majority we end up keeping around. He appears to be a massive mentor to those around the club and that's huge for the culture and helping grow other individuals.

Hasn't played his best footy this year but can you really say any of our forwards have? I'm sure time is catching him but I think he's more capable then he's shown but none of our forwards have functioned anywhere near what they're capable of this year and I can't help but put that to game plan rather then them all being cooked.

If he wants to leave and gets a better deal then we probably owe it to him to let him go and it does open up a spot in the 22 but I hope he's happy to finish his career out as a Crow.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Article on Adelaide now saying 6 clubs are circling Betts for a playing / Mentor / coaching role next year.

Should we trade him next year?
Absolutely not .....his influence around OUR club is too important ...obviously other clubs recognize that too ...so w must keep & provide an off field role !!

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
If he wants out send him with our blessing, as we should with anyone that wants out.

However there are many oldies I would cut before him even though he should have been dropped a few times this season.

Unfortunately its never the old deadweights that want to leave - I wonder why that is?

Is it because we are the best old folks home in the AFL?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
In every rebuild you need a small set of older players around them to provide the guidance.

If clubs like Hawthorn are looking at him for a player/mentor role wouldn't it be a good idea for us to keep him in the same ??

Can't see a decent reason to get rid of him.

Burtonsgottago

Premiership Player
May 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm also questioning whether Betts is really cooked

Walker looked cooked as all hell earlier this year. We drop Jenkins, start delivering it to him and suddenly there is life left.

Are our structures, thanks to Ben Hart, making Betts look worse than he really is?

I'd want to see one final season from Betts before making that call. Get the right mix of players around him (that means playing both him and Stengle in the same side, bloody muppett coaches) and fix up the structure.

If after that he's cooked, so be it
Totally agree. Our structure and poor forward coaching is making them all look worse.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In every rebuild you need a small set of older players around them to provide the guidance.

If clubs like Hawthorn are looking at him for a player/mentor role wouldn't it be a good idea for us to keep him in the same ??

Can't see a decent reason to get rid of him.
Yep especially as we will get nothing for him. But Eddie might not want to stick around which would be another nail in our club

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're confused.

The question isn't: Shall we force Betts out?

The question is: If another club makes Betts an offer to extend his career on the condition he breaks his current contract with us, should we let him go?
Another club offered Modra a contract to extend his career beyond what we did.
Hardly confussed.
Its about moving heart and soul players out of your club.

Don Muraco

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Klopp Glenelg Liverpool Patriots
I would set a plan in place to rest Betts throughout the year so he can continue to play at his best.

Even on his bad days he is outperforming Lachie Murphy so I think he would be best 22 for at least next year
If only we had a sub rule :think:

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
If its to the Gold coast who desperately need leadership and experience and it'll help with the luko deal then I would accept it, any other club and I'll be pissed.

They can have a Betts Douglas Gibbs Mackay package if they want

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’d let him go, great player that has fallen drastically this season. If he is keen to keep playing, GC would love him.
I’d demand a second round pick and let him go with the clubs blessing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another bad list management decision puts us in this situation again.
I thought giving a 29 y/o a 4 year contract was pretty risky at the time.
I'm not sure if Eddie's heart is in it anymore.
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out at the end of the season.
It would be terrible to see him suit up for another team next year.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely not. Under no circumstances would I push him out. In fact I'd be beyond furious if we did.

The impact to our culture would be disastrous. A beloved player not just at the AFC, but across the entire AFL, let go.

He also has immense value to us as a player/coach/mentor. Why should he be pushed out to perform that role at another club? We have young indigenous talents as well as young players in general that will continue to benefit from Betts involvement in the club. Stengle. McHenry. Jones. Murphy. etc.

The difference between us/Betts and say Hawks/Hodge is that the Hawks also had other on-field mentors that were able to fill that role, eg Roughead. And also unlike Hodge, Betts plays in a lower-production role.

So no. Wouldn't even consider it.

It does appear that the relationship between Eddie and the AFC has been damaged, doesn't it?

It might not be a complete disaster, but it doesn't seem like the relationship is as strong as it was recently.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It does appear that the relationship between Eddie and the AFC has been damaged, doesn't it?

It might not be a complete disaster, but it doesn't seem like the relationship is as strong as it was recently.
It’s all speculation at present
But if he was to leave a club he said he grew up barracking for and loved, it smells to me what a lot of us believe that all is not well behind closed doors

Troy87

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree and this would be a huge failure from the AFC. Eddie should have a job for life at AFC. Anyone who follows him on insta would see how big a mentor he is to the younger players. You hold onto good ppl and build a culture from them. The carlton indigenous boys lost their way wen Eddie left. Dont underestimate what him leaving disgruntled could do to our club.

Back