• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing Betts would be a bigger PR disaster than the camp.

You can already imagine the stories that McClure, Caro, Choco etc will come up with.

Would also likely have ramifications with sponsors, etc.

Isn't he worth the revenue he brings into the club, and more. Wouldn't push him out.
It's a difficult position. He wants to keep playing at AFL level, his form doesn't exactly demand selection anymore and we need to move on a few senior blokes to make way for some new blood in the side. So the three options are he retires to stay at the Crows and work off-field, we allow him to play next year regardless of his form just to keep him happy, or we allow him to explore his options elsewhere.

I'm also questioning whether Betts is really cooked

Walker looked cooked as all hell earlier this year. We drop Jenkins, start delivering it to him and suddenly there is life left.

Are our structures, thanks to Ben Hart, making Betts look worse than he really is?

I'd want to see one final season from Betts before making that call. Get the right mix of players around him (that means playing both him and Stengle in the same side, bloody muppett coaches) and fix up the structure.

If after that he's cooked, so be it

Betts decline started a lot earlier then Ben Hart coming back to this club.

Look at the back end of 2017. Was well hidden due to the ridiculous start to the season Eddie had, but it looks scarily reminiscence of what he dished up in 2018 (and not far off his 2019 which is decently similar). Obvious form drop, and age (lets not forget he's firmly in his 30s now), and yeah he's close to cooked. Another club may be able to bleed another year out of him, but we're better off with more youth.

Last edited:
Betts is coming to the end of his career. Of course he’ll be looking at whatever offers are around.

He doesn’t want to leave the Crows because he just wants out. If Crows matched offers I’d wager he’d choose to stay.

But hey, everything is for sale at the right price. Personally I think he’s too important to the culture of the club and this year having kicked 2nd most goals for a small forward in the AFL, he’s still an effective player for us. But, if we get huge benefit trade-wise like a Luko in the deal then we thank Eddie for the fantastic service, part ways amicably and let him earn his super at another club. We should put a retirement plan in place and hold on to him in a coaching/mentoring role as has already been suggested.

It’s all speculation at present
But if he was to leave a club he said he grew up barracking for and loved, it smells to me what a lot of us believe that all is not well behind closed doors
I reckon its just that we can't offer him any extensions beyond next year but gold coast can.

He'll be 34 at the end of next year.

We have no youth in our team and need to bring some in. Gold coast have only youth in their team and need some experience.

It's a win-win, particularly for Eddie who comes out of it with an extra year and an extra 600k (probably more).

Crows fans: We need to rebuild our list and be more like the ruthless, successful clubs that know when to let senior players go.

Also crows fans: We can't let Eddie go he's our whole kulcha.

I love these discussions, you can tell how little desire there is for us to be ruthless.

Betts is the hardest one to let go if we consider ruthless list management of players above 30. He certainly has shown decline compared with his typical average in the past few years. But by the same token, he still has the capability to switch it on when the team plays with dash. He still has the boundary goal kicking magic which is hard to match whoever we bring in to replace him!

It's a difficult position. He wants to keep playing at AFL level, his form doesn't exactly demand selection anymore and we need to move on a few senior blokes to make way for some new blood in the side. So the three options are he retires to stay at the Crows and work off-field, we allow him to play next year regardless of his form just to keep him happy, or we allow him to explore his options elsewhere.
Surely you'd be moving on Otten, Douglas, Mackay, Jacobs and even Jenkins. His form doesn't warrant selection, but at this stage, he's still ahead of Stengle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows fans: We need to rebuild our list and be more like the ruthless, successful clubs that know when to let senior players go.

There's ruthless and then there's just dumb.

Just need to look at Melbourne from 5-10 years ago to see how 'ruthless' is done incorrectly.

Melbourne moved guys on who weren't as close towards the end as Betts but we've got plenty of others that are over 30 who should be moved on before we get to Betts.

Well said. This thread is baffling. I guess people aren’t really ruthless when it comes down to it either?

Article on Adelaide now saying 6 clubs are circling Betts for a playing / Mentor / coaching role next year.

Should we trade him next year?
Yes if he wanted to go. You don't stand in the way of a player looking after his family especially if we are rewarded with a decent pick.

He is cooked.

Are we ruthless? Heck no. So he’ll stay. Should be moved on though.
Tom Morris "on the couch" who normally doesnt bs mentioned every player over 30 was up for trade. Every club has been notified to give us their best offer apparently. I would not just be trading over 30 players.

Surely you'd be moving on Otten, Douglas, Mackay, Jacobs and even Jenkins. His form doesn't warrant selection, but at this stage, he's still ahead of Stengle.
That's just it though, he wants to play AFL football, but his form isn't warranting selection for us at the moment, so he's going to potentially look elsewhere at this stage. Either we play a guy we know isn't up to it for us anymore where we have other options that could be long-term players like Stengle or McAdam, or we let him go. If it was up to the Crows he'd hang 'em up and go to work behind the scenes, but he doesn't want that yet.

Teams like Carlton and the Suns don't have any other options for small fowards ATM so will be prepared to take him for a short term gain.

I am quiet sure Eddie will make his own decision for his Future, after he has talks with the A.F.C.
Personally I hope he stays, and in time becomes our Forward Coach
You can't let his football smarts walk away to another club.
This player is as Popular as Modra,look how much Moral was lost with the Fans when they Shafted Modra

I was highly critical of us keeping Scott Thompson for a year when he was cooked to play in the SANFL. Same of many other players in our history.

But if there is any player on our entire list it makes sense to do a Scott Thompson with, it's Betts.

If other clubs want him for his off-field value we should hold Betts to his contract to stop him going there and make use of said off-field value for ourselves. Keep him the extra year, if his form doesn't warrant it we don't play him, and then transition him to an off-field role at the end of 2020.

No one wanted Thommo for an on-field mentor role. Everyone wants Betts. Says a lot.

No. No-one would give us anything for him, and he offers a lot off the field too. You’d think it would have a negative impact on the group and would be a total PR disaster too.

Plus, farrrrrrrrr out there are half a dozen players would should be cutting/trading ahead of Betts I can name just off the top of my head. Sort out that low hanging fruit first before worrying about getting tricky.

I was highly critical of us keeping Scott Thompson for a year when he was cooked to play in the SANFL. Same of many other players in our history.

But if there is any player on our entire list it makes sense to do a Scott Thompson with, it's Betts.

If other clubs want him for his off-field value we should hold Betts to his contract to stop him going there and make use of said off-field value for ourselves. Keep him the extra year, if his form doesn't warrant it we don't play him, and then transition him to an off-field role at the end of 2020.

No one wanted Thommo for an on-field mentor role. Everyone wants Betts. Says a lot.
You will probably be the first to complain when we tie up a bunch of cap space in 34 year old Betts playing in the SANFL and another promising youngster follows Lever, Cameron and McGovern out the door because we don't have the cap to match offers from raiding clubs.

Last edited:
You will probably be the first to complain when we tie up a bunch of cap space in 34 year old Betts playing in the SANFL and another promising youngster follows Lever, Cameron and McGovern out the door because we don't have the cap to match offers from raiding clubs.

We could shed $3m in salary this off-season no trouble without needing to touch Betts, who is already contracted for one more year

If our Club was ruthless, at least 6 players would have played their final game over the past weekend.

This could be a sliding doors moment in the history of our Club. Unfortunately the sliding door needed to be operated before the 2018 Super Draft.

Back