• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am almost certain he is gone at the end of this year. I think he will move to Victoria but not play. I think in terms of his status it is the best thing to go out on his own terms. Not in and out of the reserves.

The contract was always one year too many, as its turned out it was two years.

I don't think supporters should be upset or frustrated with the club if he leaves

I would set a plan in place to rest Betts throughout the year so he can continue to play at his best.

Even on his bad days he is outperforming Lachie Murphy so I think he would be best 22 for at least next year

No one gets a guarentee of a game regardless of form (cough, cough well maybe MacKay is the exception) so Eddie wouldn't get that and he knows that. So putting a management plan is place would be the way to go.

Having Eddie at the club to mentor not only indigenous players but all players would be invaluable. Also because Eddie is loved and admired by all he brings a positivity that we need. Is that worth anything...well yes we have sponors and they know the value of Eddie. Right at the moment there isnt a lot of positivity surrounding the club and we need all we can get.

Lets keep Eddie. There's a reason others want him.

Here's how I see it...

1. Eddie is contracted for 2020. We are not going to offer him a deal for 2021 (well, we shouldn't) and we are (probably, hopefully) going to offer him an off-field role after 2020. OK, all fine.

2. Another club offers him a 2 year (2020+2021) deal and presumably an after football role as well. This appeals to Eddie, he wants to do it, so... We let him go, no question. Next to zero trade value, but salary cap relief and a chance to get someone else playing in place without the burden of having to "manage" him through his last season, including the public pressure to keep playing him.

If point 2 comes about, IMO we take it, because it is what is best for the club, as well as Eddie. Sure it would cause public angst, favourite son and all that, but when the alternative would be to stuff up our list in 2021, we take it. We don't damage our club for the sake of appearances.

The thing that interests me about point 2, though, is which club, and why would Eddie consider it? If it was e.g. Carlton or indeed any Victorian club, I could see it - I'd guess that his preferred location post football is either Adelaide or Melbourne. If it was the Suns or indeed any other non-Vic club - would he really sign up to that location (neither Adelaide not Melbourne) for an indefinite period post his football career?

He would only do it for the money - and while I understand that, I wonder whether the life-money balance would sway him to knock it back (if it was a non-Vic club).

And there's another personal consideration. He must surely know that by 2021 he's going to be finished (if he's not done by 2020). Does he really want to be on a playing list, drawing a player's salary (even if it's not that high), being managed through the season and only wheeled out for occasional games to get bums on seats and satisfy the fans of the club who brought him in? And a potential whipping boy? There'd be a degree of personal pride involved, I would have thought.

Well Eddie himself tonight said he intends to see out his contract at the Crows... despite offers from Gold Coast.

Even if he doesn't play all games next year, he can mentor our young forwards & we will get value from him.

Last edited:
Can be smart

Of course. The smart, and ruthless decision is to jettison Betts right now.

33 next year, and we're firmly entering rebuild territory. Makes a hell of a lot of sense list wise. Also stops us wasting a year where instead of developing Betts replacement, we live in a fantasy world of Eddie being an AFL footballer forever.

Well Eddie himself tonight said he intends to see out his contract at the Crows... despite offers from Gold Coast.

Even if he doesn't play all games next year, he can mentor our young forwards & we will get value from him.

WTF would Gold Coast want to recruit Betts. They are built to fail more so than us.

I am almost certain he is gone at the end of this year. I think he will move to Victoria but not play. I think in terms of his status it is the best thing to go out on his own terms. Not in and out of the reserves.

The contract was always one year too many, as its turned out it was two years.

I don't think supporters should be upset or frustrated with the club if he leaves

Agree. Win-win for both parties.

Will always be one of the best things to have happened to the club in the last decade. Actually probably the best given he came in when the supporters were jaded from the TRigg/Reid/Tippett debacle.

WTF would Gold Coast want to recruit Betts. They are built to fail more so than us.
Well their captain Swallow likes the idea of having some experienced leaders around, given the exodus in recent years...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nup.. unless Betts says himself he wants to go.. and even then, beg him to stay.

We should also not only not let him go this year but also try hold onto him in a role of some sort at the club after he retires..

Brilliant footballer, freak of nature skills, top notch club man, community champion, mentor and hero to so many younger afl players.. so unbelievably well loved and respected throughout the entire AFL organisation.. that moment with Sydney Stack earlier on in the year epitomises exactly what eddie means to the AFL, its players and supporters. Total legend of the game.

Be utterly ridiculous to allow that to simply walk out the club’s front doors without a fight..

Last edited:
No wonder we constantly lose players, fancy meeting with Burton to discuss your future with the AFC.

FFS, is this he best we csn do? Really.

Sounds like we've upped his involvement with the list management stuff.

Can't we just promote him to a role that has no involvement with the football side of things?

Sounds like we've upped his involvement with the list management stuff.

Can't we just promote him to a role that has no involvement with the football side of things?

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

Keep promoting him until he is in a positio where he doesn't do anything. He could take over from Chapman.

If any of you follow Eddie on Instagram, then you'll know just how important this guy is to our club. He's a father figure to some of these young indigenous kids, what he does on the pitch probably pales in comparison to what he does off it. We should be doing everything we can to make sure he stays and WALKS into a development/coaching role. Listening to him the last couple of years he does not sound like a bloke who wants to go another 2 years, i doubt his heart's in it.

If we were a good club without clear cultural issues I’d give a krud. Andrew McLeod was pretty handy for us and I don’t think Betts was around for that. Charlie Cameron has gone to another level after leaving Betts behind. These guys are footballers, their value lies on the park in games for points or finals. This is the same s**t that was being sprouted to excuse VB for not deserving a game on output, or the famous Mackay/Wright non-statistical roles or carrying Thommo through the last 2/3s of 2016. If they’re not performing on-field, * them off. Our current culture of valuing everything else above game day performance has gotten us nowhere and is no doubt part of the reason for our current cultural malaise.

Nup.. unless Betts says himself he wants to go.. and even then, beg him to stay.

We should also not only not let him go this year but also try hold onto him in a role of some sort at the club after he retires..

Brilliant footballer, freak of nature skills, top notch club man, community champion, mentor and hero to so many younger afl players.. so unbelievably well loved and respected throughout the entire AFL organisation.. that moment with Sydney Stack earlier on in the year epitomises exactly what eddie means to the AFL, its players and supporters. Total legend of the game.

Be utterly ridiculous to allow that to simply walk out the club’s front doors without a fight..
Wouldnt mind betts staying on mentoring the indigenous boys and small forwards. Before we hire any more past players they need to get rid of all the past player freeloaders at our club. Hart and Burton would be the first out. Ultimately the club should not feel obliged to give any past players jobs at the club. If they are the best candidate for the job fair enough but that has not been happening.

Last edited:
Would prefer him out of the club completely. At another club doing damage would be my preference.

Not going to happen while Ricciuto is around. We'd take another two years of draft sanctions if it meant protecting Roo's mates.

Maybe a director of innovation and excellence role. We could fly him around the world on fact finding missions for 11 months of the year.

Back