• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't understand the percentage of those who would send Eddie on his way. He is still top value in what he brings. Dropping him earlier was just another example of the inept desperation where our selection process now is. The club has shown just how bad it has become this year. Pyke and his selection cohorts have shown no vision in previous years and have not been tough enough on slackers, nonperformers and long term deficiency ridden players. And so it has all come home to roost and the 'who can we drop to SANFL ' this week is the current merry go round. Too late. We have not been strong or consistent with selection calls that firmly establish a standard in previous years and we now look unprofessional. We are mixed up and unsettled. We are lurching from Sat to Sat. And the worst of it is hidden from us by virtue of the walled insularity of this present AFC. Eddie Betts is about position 12 on the 'need to fix ' list.

For the sake of this Club please let's have a new motor and full overhaul with new tyres instead of a minor grease and oil change. I'm sick of it.

When employees of the club (burton etc) resort to slinging shots at the supporters it is a clear indication of incompetency.

Douglas
Otten
Mackay
Atkins
Hartigan
Murphy
Jacobs

I'd keep Jacobs for another year as backup, assuming he's willing to play mostly SANFL for minimal $. I'd also be keeping Hartigan - he's certainly not going to be All Australian or anything, but we have so little KPD depth that we can't really afford to push him out. I'd certainly like to see somebody better step into that spot and relegate Hartigan to depth in the SANFL side, but I wouldn't want him out of the club at this point in time.

I'd keep Jacobs for another year as backup, assuming he's willing to play mostly SANFL for minimal $. I'd also be keeping Hartigan - he's certainly not going to be All Australian or anything, but we have so little KPD depth that we can't really afford to push him out. I'd certainly like to see somebody better step into that spot and relegate Hartigan to depth in the SANFL side, but I wouldn't want him out of the club at this point in time.

Jacobs will end up at GWS or Geelong he just needs to decide which one is the biggest flag threat and if they want him its for a reason, he will go for zero maybe a 5th to even up the books

JJ will go and if we get a third rounder happy days

Betts will go and get a two year deal like hodge and Mitchell , again like hodge and Mitchell he is on the downward hill anyway

Harto will go if Keath stays and visa versa

Greenwood will not get a 4 year deal from the AFC and will go to whoever gives him the elusive 4 years

Douglas will retire

That is plenty of players gone that have any ability

will probs see Pohlkoke and Wilson gone they are just more Grigg type players that wont make the elite level but handy SANFL Players

May see Macadm gone if the club thinks he will never get his fitness up to the level required to play AFL, this was always a concern

Wow, Murphy, that’s harsh . I’d try and develop him as a defender in the Brown mould , as he’s no forward . Also , whilst we have O’Brien , we need a Murphy *

*for all you Seinfeld fans out there 😂
Murphy won't be moved on as has a new deal, but IMO he won't be a quality small forward.

No issue trying him as a defender.

Eddie Betts has been a magnificent player and human for our football club both on and off the field. He’s still kicked 36 goals this year (yes I know 12 of them have come in 2 games vs GCS) which is still better than most small forwards going around (only Charlie Cameron and Alex Sexton have kicked more) in a year where the delivery into the forward line in 2019 has been IMO very average.

Culturally I feel like it’ll be a bad move if the AFC ship Eddie off a year before the end of his contract.

There’s a lot more issues the AFC needs to sort out before you even get to Eddie Betts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While teams are still putting in a heap of work into curtailing Eddie, and they are, it’s imperative we keep him. He only has to touch the ball every now and then and things turn to gold. Hasn’t kicked anywhere near the goals of his best years but still serviceable and ignites the team with his smarts and impossible goals. We let him go, I’m done.

But we still have to call it when he’s cooked, and talk that he is cooked is utter rubbish...though it’s coming.

So important to keep him involved with the club. Just hope he pulls the pin before the Thommo stage.
My how things change.

My original thoughts on Eddie leaving have done a U-turn, not just because he's leaving (nothing surer by the looks) and therefore it's sour grapes, but because I'm totally over Betts hogging the spotlight and creating innuendo by allowing innuendo to undermine the club while he looks after Eddie, thereby maintaining his profile for his commercial benefit but to some degree at the expense of the AFC's already tarnished name. He goes in the Jenkins folder along with a couple of others filed under 'no longer an asset to the club...for reasons'.

Not so disappointed anymore. :)

Eddie Betts has been a magnificent player and human for our football club both on and off the field. He’s still kicked 36 goals this year (yes I know 12 of them have come in 2 games vs GCS) which is still better than most small forwards going around (only Charlie Cameron and Alex Sexton have kicked more) in a year where the delivery into the forward line in 2019 has been IMO very average.

Culturally I feel like it’ll be a bad move if the AFC ship Eddie off a year before the end of his contract.

There’s a lot more issues the AFC needs to sort out before you even get to Eddie Betts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don’t think we are “shipping Eddie off” I think it’s his decision

If the Crows are happy for Eddie to look elsewhere, then we certainly are shipping him off.
It's not just a footy decision for him, we aren't shipping him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but if he is determined to go, then we get the best possible draft pick for him and he takes a pay cut. There is not way we should be paying part of his salary at at another club.

If Betts is keen to go and Carlton are keen to get him, we shouldnt be paying him any salary in 2020 or 2021.

I can accept, accepting any late pick for Betts, but the condition must be surely that we dont pay any of his salary.

Just ridiculous.
Completely agree, I don’t mind the club paying some of his salary if it gets us either pick 41 or 46, but if we’re only getting pick 80 or whatever it is then no way should we give him another cent of his contract!

Completely agree, I don’t mind the club paying some of his salary if it gets us either pick 41 or 46, but if we’re only getting pick 80 or whatever it is then no way should we give him another cent of his contract!
I think we should just agree to whatever useless pick Carlton offer us then when we walk into AFL house to sign/lodge paperwork we can tell SOS we want pick 46 or they pay his whole salary.

Yes I agree here. Either its a pick in the 40s and we pay a small portion of Betts salary.

or

Its a late useless pick and we pay nothing for Betts.

Anything less is gutless by the AFC. Line in the sand stuff here.

We just need to move from him as painlessly as possible

We’ll accept any pick but whatever Carlton pays him is what he gets paid

I'd be comfortable with paying Betts some salary next season. It's not going to be easy to meet that salary cap floor with how much we're losing, and I'd prefer to avoid the trap where that money is put into a very average player here out of nessecity.

I'd be comfortable with paying Betts some salary next season. It's not going to be easy to meet that salary cap floor with how much we're losing, and I'd prefer to avoid the trap where that money is put into a very average player here out of nessecity.
So you agree to pay both Betts and Jenkins ?

Lets say Jnkins is on $600K .....we agree to pay $200K of that .....Jenkins then agree's to cut his salary with the new club to $400K ...so we end up paying 50% instead of 30% :thumbsdown:

Lets say Jnkins is on $600K .....we agree to pay $200K of that .....Jenkins then agree's to cut his salary with the new club to $400K ...so we end up paying 50% instead of 30% :thumbsdown:

Agree.

How much we pay should be a reflection of the % of their new contract with their new Club.

If the contracts were decently short (say expiring 2021), yeah I'd be comfortable with it. It pushes us closer to the salary cap floor which is where we should be sitting for the next 2 years.

Getting to that floor without overpaying average players has to be the goal here.

We won’t over pay, we’ll front load

That sounds like making players vulnerable to being poached. After all, it's easier to accept a contract elsewhere when you've gotten through the heavily paid period of your current one.

Don't get me wrong, I accept front-loading will have some level of necessity to our situation, still, it's not a strategy that has me at ease.

Back