Prediction Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

Should We Rookie Jonty Scharenberg?

• Yes

Votes: 66 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is not only Jonty though.Its year after year of promising kid, who turns out wasnt as good as other kids nationally. Either SA no longer produces its Jarmans, Ruccutios, Harts anymore or there is something wrong with the system. I am a big follower of soccer and people are saying a similar thing about English soccer. I once heard Liverpool great Michael Owen talk about how the way that he developed as a teenager just does not exist anymore. In those days, once you made it to a certain level (that was Liverpool reserves), the competition was of sufficiently high standard (relative to the rest of world football) to allow good kids to develop and "make it". That simply doesnt exist any more because the competitive football education that you get out of that comp doesnt compare with other more competitive competitions. If you look further, there are certain academy systems in soccer that produce considerably more top level talent than others. I have seen time and time again, absolute superstar soccer prodigies come into big clubs in England like Arsenal, Manchester United and so on. But they end up petering off and having mediocre careers and its because their development pathway at these big clubs is not as good as other clubs or competitions. These kids are the best that money could buy at their age (transfer fees, not slavery) and yet they don't develop to the next level.

You have to look at the outcomes of different development pathways and make sure that what used to work, still works. In SA there doesnt seem to be any organised way that we are looking to compete at producing star AFL players. I am not saying I have a solution, but I recognise a problem that needs to be addressed.
http://sanfl.com.au/afl-taste-for-sa-academy-boys/

South Australia’s AFL Academy scholarship holders are gaining an insight into elite football while spending this week with Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

Sturt’s Callum Coleman-Jones and Jordan Houlahan, together with Glenelg’s Darcy Fogarty, are being put through their paces with the Crows at West Lakes.

Woodville-West Torrens pair Thomas Schmusch and Andrew McPherson are lacing up the boots with the Power at Alberton.

The five Level 2 AFL Academy players will spend a total of two weeks with their respective AFL clubs as part of their scholarship.

Bays midfielder Jackson Edwards – the son of Crows premiership great Tyson Edwards – is also training with the Crows as a potential father-son selection in the 2017 AFL National Draft.

Edwards (pictured above) is a smooth-moving left-footer who played in Glenelg’s victorious Under-18 Macca’s Cup team this year.

Coleman-Jones – who measures in at 198cm and 94kg – is looming as an exciting prospect in the ruck while team-mate Jordan Houlahan is capable of taking a spectacular mark, evidenced in the video below.

Versatile Fogarty can play in attack or as a big-bodied midfielder while McPherson has found plenty of the ball through the middle for the Eagles in the Under-18 competition.

Schmusch, who measures in at 194cm and 81kg, is considered a key position prospect who can play at either end of the ground.

The Crows’ contingent will spend another week with the squad after Christmas while Schmusch and McPherson will be with Port for a fortnight.

All six players will be eligible for the 2017 AFL Draft while SA also has a record seven players in the AFL Academy’s Level 1 program eligible for the 2018 AFL Draft.

Adelaide FC
Jordan Houlahan (Sturt) 185cm, 73kg, Mount Barker FC
Darcy Fogarty (Glenelg) 189cm, 84kg, Lucindale FC
Jackson Edwards (Glenelg) 184cm, 72kg, Henley FC
Callum Coleman-Jones (Sturt) 198cm, 94kg, Unley FC
Port Adelaide FC
Andrew McPherson (Eagles) 184cm, 73kg, Port Districts FC
Thomas Schmusch (Eagles) 194cm, 81kg, Lockleys FC

Last edited:
The SANFL could greatly benefit from a 22nd player rule for an u18 like the VFL do.

Personally I would lower the SANFL salary cap and put further restrictions on inter state recruits. Need to shift the focus to developing from within.

West Adelaide in 2015 and Sturt in 2016, both won premierships both had the highest percentage of home grown talent in their league teams. The talent is there we just need to develop it better

Why what's the SANFL got to do with the AFL

This is a great idea. Lets see if it effective or not. I doubt that a few weeks training is going to make much of a difference. The best way I can explain my point is still using a soccer analogy. Its like comparing what kind of a player Messi would have been if he moved to West Adelaide at 13 and developed there, versus the player he became moving to the Barcelona academy at the same age. It matters where you spend your formative years. You dont end up the same calibre of player regardless of your pathway. The same is true for AFL players. The pathway they get in victoria is obviously better than SA. Private school footy is better than public school, etc, etc. But I have an issue that now Queensland and NSW kids have better pathways.

You can keep listing names of talented SA kids and my answer will be the same - how good would this kid have been if he went through another system. Probably better. Until we start seeing SA future brownlow medalists and number 1-3 draft picks then I think we have a problem and that is graduating these talented kids that you keep listing to a truly elite level as men.

This is a great idea. Lets see if it effective or not. I doubt that a few weeks training is going to make much of a difference. The best way I can explain my point is still using a soccer analogy. Its like comparing what kind of a player Messi would have been if he moved to West Adelaide at 13 and developed there, versus the player he became moving to the Barcelona academy at the same age. It matters where you spend your formative years. You dont end up the same calibre of player regardless of your pathway. The same is true for AFL players. The pathway they get in victoria is obviously better than SA. Private school footy is better than public school, etc, etc. But I have an issue that now Queensland and NSW kids have better pathways.

You can keep listing names of talented SA kids and my answer will be the same - how good would this kid have been if he went through another system. Probably better. Until we start seeing SA future brownlow medalists and number 1-3 draft picks then I think we have a problem and that is graduating these talented kids that you keep listing to a truly elite level as men.

Then it's up to the AFL to create an acadamy in both WA and SA you know the organisation that is controlled ultimatley by 10 Victorian clubs with the controlling interest

Last edited:
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-12-06/academy-trio-train-with-crows
Academy trio train with Crows
December 6, 2016 2:35 PM

Jordan%20Houlahan_200_200X300.jpg

Jordan Houlahan

Three AFL Academy squad members are training with the Crows this week.

South Australians Darcy Fogarty (Glenelg), Callum Coleman-Jones (Sturt) and Jordan Houlahan (Sturt), who are all eligible for next year’s draft, will spend two weeks at Adelaide over the pre-season as part of the Academy program.

Fogarty is a strong-marking tall forward with footy smarts and a neat set shot. Coleman-Jones is shaping as one of the best ruckmen in the 2017 draft, while Houlahan is a medium-sized forward who is an excellent mark for his size.

Jackson Edwards will also spend time at the Club where his father Tyson played 321 games. A left-footed midfielder, Edwards plays alongside Fogarty at the Bays and is eligible to be selected by the Crows as a father-son recruit in 2017.

Adelaide welcomed its first-ever father-son selection last month, picking Ben Jarman – son of Darren – in the Rookie Draft. Ben and Jackson are cousins (Darren's wife Sue is the sister of Mandy Edwards, who's married to Tyson.)

The Crows recruited two members of this year's AFL Academy squad in the National Draft, picking onballer Jordan Gallucci and Myles Poholke.

LEVEL TWO AFL ACADEMY (draft-eligible 2017)
Vic Country
: Tyrone Hayes, Aaron Darling, Kane Farrell, Aidan Quigley, Lochie O'Brien, Hunter Clark, Luke Davies-Uniake, Oscar Clavarino, James Worpel, Tom De Koning
Vic Metro: Jack Higgins, Lachlan Fogarty, Patrick Naish, Joel Garner, Jaidyn Stephenson, Sam Hayes
South Australia: Jordan Houlahan, Darcy Fogarty, Thomas Schmusch, Callum Coleman-Jones, Andrew McPherson
Western Australia: Jake Patmore
NSW-ACT: Charlie Spargo, Jack Powell, Jarrod Brander, Nathan Richards
Queensland: Jack Clayton, Connor Ballenden, Brayden Crossley
Northern Territory: Dominic Grant

Jackson-Edwards_620.jpg

Jackson Edwards runs laps on Monday

I must have missed the point here?

Then it's up to the AFL to create an avadamy in both WA and SA you know the organisation that is controlled ultimatley by 10 Victorian clubs with the controlling interest

No its not. I dont have a problem with the AFL creating the NSW/ACT and Q academies. I have a problem with priority access. If we all have equal access to those kids then it benefits the game. Its a good thing if the best youths in Australia are playing our game rather than Rugby, which is a boring game anyway. But this academy selection bullshit and COLAs etc are bullshit.

The AFL is a franchise sport, it makes no difference to the franchise where the talent comes from. If (hypothetically) the Crows and Port are filled with 88 non-SA players it makes no difference. It will hardly dent the support for the clubs, just like it doesnt matter in US franchise sports.

There is no point crying foul at pointing fingers at the AFL. This is a state matter.

No its not. I dont have a problem with the AFL creating the NSW/ACT and Q academies. I have a problem with priority access. If we all have equal access to those kids then it benefits the game. Its a good thing if the best youths in Australia are playing our game rather than Rugby, which is a boring game anyway. But this academy selection bullshit and COLAs etc are bullshit.

The AFL is a franchise sport, it makes no difference to the franchise where the talent comes from. If (hypothetically) the Crows and Port are filled with 88 non-SA players it makes no difference. It will hardly dent the support for the clubs, just like it doesnt matter in US franchise sports.

There is no point crying foul at pointing fingers at the AFL. This is a state matter.

So are you saying it's a state government problem in developing elite talent for interstate football clubs

As it's obviously not that of the SANFL a stand alone comp they would have no want to develop talent for another competition now would they?

So are you saying it's a state government problem in developing elite talent for interstate football clubs

As it's obviously not that of the SANFL a stand alone comp they would have no want to develop talent for another competition now would they?

No. i didnt say state government. Its an issue for SA footy administrators how to maximise SA footy development. Its the whole system. At the moment we are still trickling players into the system and by the sounds of it there will be a flood next year. If so there is no issue here. End conversation. But if the trend continues and one day we have 0 draftees and few SA players in the AFL system then it will be too late.

No. i didnt say state government. Its an issue for SA footy administrators how to maximise SA footy development. Its the whole system. At the moment we are still trickling players into the system and by the sounds of it there will be a flood next year. If so there is no issue here. End conversation. But if the trend continues and one day we have 0 draftees and few SA players in the AFL system then it will be too late.

Who would be the league that suffers the most if SA doesn't produce? Remembering more players will probably end up playing SANFL as they won't be good enough to play AFL

Who would be the league that suffers the most if SA doesn't produce? Remembering more players will probably end up playing SANFL as they won't be good enough to play AFL

You lost me? If we have the best possible model to develop SA footballers then the SANFL will benefit from the players that dont play AFL. So its better for all concerned that SA has the best player development system possible. My point is that if the current model isnt working and if the Queensland and NSW/ACT academy systems do work, then we should switch to that. Problem is that there is a limited amount of money, so if funding had to be diverted away from the SANFL to achieve this hypothetical academy, then the SANFL would ultimately have better players, but less money to pay them with.

You lost me? If we have the best possible model to develop SA footballers then the SANFL will benefit from the players that dont play AFL. So its better for all concerned that SA has the best player development system possible. My point is that if the current model isnt working and if the Queensland and NSW/ACT academy systems do work, then we should switch to that. Problem is that there is a limited amount of money, so if funding had to be diverted away from the SANFL to achieve this hypothetical academy, then the SANFL would ultimately have better players, but less money to pay them with.

Let's see regardless of the millions the AFL pour into the NEAFL if they ever become stronger than the SAMFL with this so called better development? Because as it stands they are crap

The SANFL will run their juniors as they please, they have the right to do so, more will be spent on their senior leagues as it is their prerogative to do so. It's ultimately their decision, no different to any club or league in control of their own destiny. I don't see you as a huge SANFL follower so is it your concern? Are you a member of an SANFL club?

The SANFL will run their juniors as they please, they have the right to do so, more will be spent on their senior leagues as it is their prerogative to do so. It's ultimately their decision, no different to any club or league in control of their own destiny. I don't see you as a huge SANFL follower so is it your concern? Are you a member of an SANFL club?

I used to follow North and still consider myself a North fan, but I dont watch them now. Since the Crows came in, I have pretty much stopped following, except now we have a reserves team, I watch the replay/highlights of those games during the week. I dont think this matters at all. I am not attacking the SANFL, I am saying that the current system, which includes the SANFL at its core, seems to have stopped working. I am a fan of the crows, but I am also a proud south australian and I would like to see our state produce Australians that are the best in their fields, whether footy, cricket, tennis, soccer or even astronauts. At the moment, money comes into SA through the AFL system. Ultimately, I see the primary responsibility of what to do with that money is to develop future AFL footballers. I can completely understand the perspective of people who disagree with that and feel that it should be used to maintain the history and status of the SANFL.

But if you agree with me, then I think you have to ask the questions I am asking. Are we spending money in a way that gets the best possible players out of SA. Look at the situation for the next 13 years (from google):

"That deal, signed on March 27, 2014, demands: ADELAIDE pay the SANFL $11.326 million across 15 years to release their AFL licence — and $400,000 a year for an SANFL licence for the Crows reserves. PORT ADELAIDE pay the SANFL $6.985 million across 15 years for its AFL licence — but no SANFL licence fee."

So you can see that there is a decent amount of money that the AFL clubs pour into south australia, through the SANFL. In 13 years time, if the state is no longer producing draft picks, if our last brownlow medalist is still adam cooney, if the number of SA players on AFL lists is barely existent, then what would you asking the crows to do. I dont see why we would continue to subsidize SANFL clubs if they arent producing future Crows players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to follow North and still consider myself a North fan, but I dont watch them now. Since the Crows came in, I have pretty much stopped following, except now we have a reserves team, I watch the replay/highlights of those games during the week. I dont think this matters at all. I am not attacking the SANFL, I am saying that the current system, which includes the SANFL at its core, seems to have stopped working. I am a fan of the crows, but I am also a proud south australian and I would like to see our state produce Australians that are the best in their fields, whether footy, cricket, tennis, soccer or even astronauts. At the moment, money comes into SA through the AFL system. Ultimately, I see the primary responsibility of what to do with that money is to develop future AFL footballers. I can completely understand the perspective of people who disagree with that and feel that it should be used to maintain the history and status of the SANFL.

But if you agree with me, then I think you have to ask the questions I am asking. Are we spending money in a way that gets the best possible players out of SA. Look at the situation for the next 13 years (from google):

"That deal, signed on March 27, 2014, demands: ADELAIDE pay the SANFL $11.326 million across 15 years to release their AFL licence — and $400,000 a year for an SANFL licence for the Crows reserves. PORT ADELAIDE pay the SANFL $6.985 million across 15 years for its AFL licence — but no SANFL licence fee."

So you can see that there is a decent amount of money that the AFL clubs pour into south australia, through the SANFL. In 13 years time, if the state is no longer producing draft picks, if our last brownlow medalist is still adam cooney, if the number of SA players on AFL lists is barely existent, then what would you asking the crows to do. I dont see why we would continue to subsidize SANFL clubs if they arent producing future Crows players.

The Crows or Port don't subsidize the SANFL in any way shape or form

The SANFL bought the licence which were then leased off the SANFL now the SANFL have sold them

As for the SMA the SANFL allowed the AFL to break it's long term lease at FP but in return obviously received the rights to being the landlord at AO with the SACA with government approval as they own the asset. So income received from that is a pure commercial arrangement in being for using the the facility

So how is this subsidy derived?

Last edited:

That's a dumb deal signed by the Crows. Port must be laughing all the way to the bank. All the years they were bailed out by the SANFL and then buy back a licence for less than half the crows paid.

The SANFL bought the licence which were then leased off the SANFL now the SANFL have sold them

As for the SMA the SANFL allowed the AFL to break it's long term lease at FP but in return obviously received the rights to being the landlord at AO with the SACA with government approval as they own the asset. So income received from that is a pure commercial arrangement in being for using the the facility

Subsidized is maybe the wrong word, but surely you know what I mean. The SANFL is not self-sufficient as footy competition. It gets the majority of its cash as the original owner of the Adelaide Crows and Footy park, and now also through Port Adelaide and AO. It relies on cash that comes from AFL football through the Crows and Port. It doesnt matter how you frame it. I am not saying it didnt earn it and doesnt deserve it. I am saying that it gets its money as an AFL franchise owner and a footy stadium owner (or whatever deal it now has with AO). The AFL is a franchise competition that decided to use its position to expand Australia wide. It was always going to franchise in SA. Port made the first move, but the SANFL managed to get the first license and AFC was born. The SANFL as an organisation is the original owner of the AFC. The good will and status of the SANFL club competition is what earnt them the right for that first license. But you can be sure that the VFL's national expansion was always going to include Adelaide whether the SANFL was on board or not.

So like it nor not, the SANFL club competition has been infused with cash from the AFL. So the SANFL club competition one way or another is topped up/insert your term here/subsidized by the AFL competition. McDonalds was moving next door to a mum and dad owned takeway and mum and dad saw the writing on the wall and bought the rights to the franchise. The rest is history.

Subsidized is maybe the wrong word, but surely you know what I mean. The SANFL is not self-sufficient as footy competition. It gets the majority of its cash as the original owner of the Adelaide Crows and Footy park, and now also through Port Adelaide and AO. It relies on cash that comes from AFL football through the Crows and Port. It doesnt matter how you frame it. I am not saying it didnt earn it and doesnt deserve it. I am saying that it gets its money as an AFL franchise owner and a footy stadium owner (or whatever deal it now has with AO). The AFL is a franchise competition that decided to use its position to expand Australia wide. It was always going to franchise in SA. Port made the first move, but the SANFL managed to get the first license and AFC was born. The SANFL as an organisation is the original owner of the AFC. The good will and status of the SANFL club competition is what earnt them the right for that first license. But you can be sure that the VFL's national expansion was always going to include Adelaide whether the SANFL was on board or not.

So like it nor not, the SANFL club competition has been infused with cash from the AFL. So the SANFL club competition one way or another is topped up/insert your term here/subsidized by the AFL competition. McDonalds was moving next door to a mum and dad owned takeway and mum and dad saw the writing on the wall and bought the rights to the franchise. The rest is history.

Hahahaha so when you own something surely you allowed to sell it

When you have someone renting your property surely you don't just let them break the lease without compensation

But yes I get your ideas but simple facts are they aren't being supported or subsidized they owned the licences and had long term leases in place that were allowed to be broken but needed compensating for it

How they run their competition is up to them it is a comp for the people that support it, if you want a say or think you know better, join north adelaide maybe attempt to get on the board who knows you could change the views of many!

Don't the Crows & Port pay an annual amount to participate in the SANFL ? ......wasn't it $400K pa ? ......do other clubs pay, no ..then it can be classified as a subsidy

Hahahaha so when you own something surely you allowed to sell it

When you have someone renting your property surely you don't just let them break the lease without compensation

But yes I get your ideas but simple facts are they aren't being supported or subsidized they owned the licences and had long term leases in place that were allowed to be broken but needed compensating for it

How they run their competition is up to them it is a comp for the people that support it, if you want a say or think you know better, join north adelaide maybe attempt to get on the board who knows you could change the views of many!

What are you talking about? I didnt suggest any of those things. I said clearly that the SANFL have full rights to all of the money they are getting from the crows. Did you even read what I wrote? I dont disagree that it is up to them how they run their competition. I hope they have a good plan in place to be self sustainable in 13 years when the crows and port own their own licenses. I also hope they arent relying on increasing the payment needed to allow us to have a reserves team because if the SANFL competition is s**t house then we would be better off playing our reserves in the VFL and it wont cost more than what we are paying the SANFL now.

What are you talking about? I didnt suggest any of those things. I said clearly that the SANFL have full rights to all of the money they are getting from the crows. Did you even read what I wrote? I dont disagree that it is up to them how they run their competition. I hope they have a good plan in place to be self sustainable in 13 years when the crows and port own their own licenses. I also hope they arent relying on increasing the payment needed to allow us to have a reserves team because if the SANFL competition is s**t house then we would be better off playing our reserves in the VFL and it wont cost more than what we are paying the SANFL now.

I think the SANFL will receive enough from the SMA and still have football park, a lot if it is being sold and will receive the capital from it which will divided up amongst the eight clubs

As for the fee for playing in the comp, it's up to them either party can exit the agreement with 12 months notice but at $400k it's probably cheaper than an AFL reserves

And yes you did quote the AFl was subsidizing the SANFL with the sale of the licences the SANFL bought and subsequently sold

If they don't pay it they don't play it's an entrance fee, not a subsidy their choice if they wish to play in the SANFL or not isn't it?
An entrance fee for what purpose ? ......the AFL $4M entrance fee was because the AFL had significant assets (Waverley park) that all teams had a share off

So what assets do the Crows get a slice of ? ......as i would understand they don't get any dividends from the sale of Football Park?

So unless someone can explain further, it's not an entrance fee (should be one-off) ......it is a subsidy to struggling SANFL clubs to convince them to accept the Crows

An entrance fee for what purpose ? ......the AFL $4M entrance fee was because the AFL had significant assets (Waverley park) that all teams had a share off

So what assets do the Crows get a slice of ? ......as i would understand they don't get any dividends from the sale of Football Park?

So unless someone can explain further, it's not an entrance fee (should be one-off) ......it is a subsidy to struggling SANFL clubs to convince them to accept the Crows

It's a fee to play in the comp, they have the choice to either pay it and play or don't pay it and play somewhere else, no one has a gun to their head it's their choice

They get to play in the comp for the 400k, again it's their choice they don't have to pay it, they. Could approach the amateurs and see what they will charge or the FpVFL and see what they will charge

Nothing comes for free!

If they don't pay it they don't play it's an entrance fee, not a subsidy their choice if they wish to play in the SANFL or not isn't it?

Like I said already, call it what you want. They are not self-sufficient. They rely on this now. As for the "entrance fee", sure theoretically both Port and the crows could probably negotiate to have the reserves side join the VFL. It would probably be better than the SANFL in terms of our squads development. But who would want this. I dont have this us and them mentality. I see us as in this together as a state. Its better for the state for us to help the SANFL as much as possible. Its better for us to help develop the SANFL and for the SANFL to help us develop our squad. I am not against the SANFL at all, I want it to be the best second division competition in Australia.

You havent answered my question. What happens in 13 years when the crows and port own their licenses. What should happen then?

It's a fee to play in the comp, they have the choice to either pay it and play or don't pay it and play somewhere else, no one has a gun to their head it's their choice

They get to play in the comp for the 400k, again it's their choice they don't have to pay it, they. Could approach the amateurs and see what they will charge or the FpVFL and see what they will charge

Nothing comes for free!
So a SANFL subsidy then !

Back