List Mgmt. Should we trade for Pick 1?

Should we trade for Pick 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless something drastically changes, we are likely to end up with pick 2/3/4.
As there is no clear standout for pick 1 this year, the cost to move up to get that free choice won't be as significant as previous years.
I, for one, like the idea of being in control of our own destiny.

As Cam Zurhaar is a free agent, there is a real risk that a stupid club like Gold Coast, Essendon or St Kilda will pay him enough to trigger band 1 compensation which will push us back another pick.
We all know that the AFL's secret herbs and spices free agency formula is terrible and they will do all they can to further assist North Melbourne so they're no longer a blight on the competition.

If you think we should trade up to pick 1, what do you think would be a fair deal in the current climate?

Nope. Cost too much to do so.

Just need to focus on upgrading our picks. If we take two top ten and and a pick in the teens we will have done very very well
Not sure if that's the case this year. There's no Harley Reid or Jason Horne-Francis type that's head and shoulders above the rest. If we have pick 2, I'm not sure how much more it would take but it wouldn't be something ridiculous like the offers that were being made the last couple of years.

Nope.
Still remember that time when bloody Melbourne shafted us and got the first 2 picks and got those bloody guns Scully and Trengove.
And what happens? We get that ****ing spud at 3! What was name? ****ing Justin Martins or some shit.
Still makes my blood boil with what could have been😩☹️😩😖

Still a lot to go before the draft talent settles.
We could even trade down.
If we end up throwing a blanket over the top 5 (for example), then its possible we trade pick 2 or 3 for pick 5 plus another top 20 pick.
Similar like we did with Kane McAuliffe last draft.

Usually quality over quantity, but when it comes to the draft, quantity wins. If we have multiple picks in the top 30, then I'd like to take them and add as many top kids as possible.

We've got plenty of areas that need addressing and with multiple picks we can fill plenty of gaps.

Usually quality over quantity, but when it comes to the draft, quantity wins. If we have multiple picks in the top 30, then I'd like to take them and add as many top kids as possible.

We've got plenty of areas that need addressing and with multiple picks we can fill plenty of gaps.
I see where you are coming from but we need a new inside bull/game breaker type. We have the hybrid game breaker in Bolton but, IMO, we need our next Cotchin/Martin and I think you can only find them in the top 3 of the draft.
Which is why I'm concerned that it's a very real chance that North could have pick 1 and pick 2 by draft night if some club pays Zurhaar enough.
I'd rather we try and get pick 1 so we don't have to run the risk of North pipping us for the one we want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see where you are coming from but we need a new inside bull/game breaker type. We have the hybrid game breaker in Bolton but, IMO, we need our next Cotchin/Martin and I think you can only find them in the top 3 of the draft.
Which is why I'm concerned that it's a very real chance that North could have pick 1 and pick 2 by draft night if some club pays Zurhaar enough.
I'd rather we try and get pick 1 so we don't have to run the risk of North pipping us for the one we want.
Surely no-one is paying Zurhaar enough for band 1? That'd be ridiculous.

Nope.
Still remember that time when bloody Melbourne shafted us and got the first 2 picks and got those bloody guns Scully and Trengove.
And what happens? We get that ******* spud at 3! What was name? ******* Justin Martins or some s**t.
Still makes my blood boil with what could have been😩☹️😩😖
Steve Martin, get it right

I agree but I think it's a live chance. A club like St Kilda has cap space to burn and it wouldn't shock me if the AFL helped out North by giving them band 1 compo as another bit of assistance considering how much of a basket case they are.
I don't agree with it but it's likely IMO.

I agree but I think it's a live chance. A club like St Kilda has cap space to burn and it wouldn't shock me if the AFL helped out North by giving them band 1 compo as another bit of assistance considering how much of a basket case they are.
I don't agree with it but it's likely IMO.
At some stage the AFL has to get them off the tit. Hopefully this is the year.

What we really lack is the hybrid types who can not only win the ball at stoppage but can do real damage coming out of the stoppage. If we can land 1 of Smith O'Sullivan or Draper with our first pick, we get a good blend in the middle with Taranto Hopper McAuliffe as inside bulls then Bolton & Sonsie plus a draftee as the outside class.

We also need medium forward/midfielders who have a bit of size about them and KPP help at either end. With 5 picks inside 40 we should be able to add in all these areas and dramatically improve our best 23.

Putting all our picks in the one basket to get Smillie is the wrong thing to do IMO.

As Cam Zurhaar is a free agent, there is a real risk that a stupid club like Gold Coast, Essendon or St Kilda will pay him enough to trigger band 1 compensation which will push us back another pick.
We all know that the AFL's secret herbs and spices free agency formula is terrible and they will do all they can to further assist North Melbourne so they're no longer a blight on the competition.

Already 2024 is the AFL designated year of 'Screw the Tigers' so i can see both situations occuring. Christ, even if we win the spoon Norf will be given Pick 1.

SCREW THE TIGERS

On SM-A426B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What we really lack is the hybrid types who can not only win the ball at stoppage but can do real damage coming out of the stoppage. If we can land 1 of Smith O'Sullivan or Draper with our first pick, we get a good blend in the middle with Taranto Hopper McAuliffe as inside bulls then Bolton & Sonsie plus a draftee as the outside class.

We also need medium forward/midfielders who have a bit of size about them and KPP help at either end. With 5 picks inside 40 we should be able to add in all these areas and dramatically improve our best 23.

Putting all our picks in the one basket to get Smillie is the wrong thing to do IMO.
I don't think it's all eggs necessarily. If North target a key, they may not need pick 1 so I don't see them holding it for a huge ransom, but I guess we will find out.

I don't follow the juniors because it's a bit pedo but isn't it early days to be putting a line through the talent pool? Was Harley Reid always the undisputed number 1 or did he build a body of work through the season?

He was a clear pick 1 well before the season started. Its not the same this season. Also its hard to play for pick 1, given losing out may not be enough, North would probably still have to beat someone else.

Unless something drastically changes, we are likely to end up with pick 2/3/4.
As there is no clear standout for pick 1 this year, the cost to move up to get that free choice won't be as significant as previous years.
I, for one, like the idea of being in control of our own destiny.

If you think we should trade up to pick 1, what do you think would be a fair deal in the current climate?

Whether we like it or not, this a genuine threat. The AFL will do whatever they can to make that happen.

Back