• Yes, for any first rounder

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Yes, if it helps get Kelly

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Yes, if it helps get Dusty

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

6 concussions in 3 years is a massive concern. At this point surely he would start thinking about his long-term wellbeing. I think Paddy has the talent to be a very good player but he wouldn't be far off a forced retirement.
Technically it's 6 concussions in 2 yrs across 3 seasons, as mid-2015 to now is exactly 2 years

Watts is now above average at best . They would be spewing he turned out that way .
Watts is above average.

I think Melbourne would be truly SPEWING over Jack Trengove (pick 2) when Dustin Martin was pick 3 in the 2009 draft......

Trengove is so bad he escapes scrutiny because everyone has forgotten about him.

But boy oh boy.

Watts is the least of the Demons worries. I mean they could have got Hamish Hartlett instead of Watts in 2008. That would be even worse.

Has it been confirmed that he was concussed today?

Watts is above average.

I think Melbourne would be truly SPEWING over Jack Trengove (pick 2) when Dustin Martin was pick 3 in the 2009 draft......

Trengove is so bad he escapes scrutiny because everyone has forgotten about him.

But boy oh boy.

Watts is the least of the Demons worries. I mean they could have got Hamish Hartlett instead of Watts in 2008. That would be even worse.
Point was that Watts took ages, got dropped and has finally come good.

Getting dropped didn't hurt him.

Yeah I'm thinking this is a bust.

I understand people defending their player, but it is crystal clear that the wrong draft move was made. The recurring concussions are not even the major issue to me (though it is to his health). But even when he gets on the park, he seems like Kozi 2.0; either he marks it, or he's negligible in the attacking 50. And we have seen that even when he does have regulation set shots on goal, he often fails to convert.

He was clearly drafted as the "post-Roo" plan, and because he scored heaps of goals at a junior level. What the club should have identified is whether this was due to a attributes that were so vital and unique that he deserved to be a number 1 draft pick, or whether he was just simply a big body beating kids. If it's the latter, it is hard to convert your ability into the AFL. He is only 194cm so for a key forward isn't particularly tall. We are told regularly about how good his hands are, but he doesn't have the height or strength to take a contested mark, nor the athleticism required to get separation from a defender on a lead. I can't see many saving graces in this drafting decision.

You can't wind back the clock. He is no longer a number 1 pick and it is no longer Paddy or Petracca.

Saints are invested in McCartin, if he ever comes good then he is the key to us being contenders in the next 5 years. If he doesn't then Bruce and Membrey are not going to deliver Saints a flag. He is that critical. I said at the time of his drafting, of all the drafts since 2000, pick 1 in 2014 was the one we had to get right. Hopefully it clicks, unfortunately at the moment that looks less likely than likely.

I'm just more worried about how much longer the kid can keep this up

At what point are they forced to stop the bloke playing altogether over concerns for his long term health?

Concussions are a major topic in sport science right now, they've realised how damaging these multiple occurrences can affect players over the long term

I was at the gold coast game last year when Paddy went up for a mark along the wing. Collected it then fed off the possession. At this point he walked off the ground and we didn't see him for the rest of the game even though he looked perfectly fine
Concussion rule had him on the bench the rest of the game for something that seemed so inocuious

I feel for the kid and I do wonder how much longer this caper can continue for

Paddy reminds me of a young Tom Hawkins, admittedly Tom had more of a go in the firsts than Paddy has.
But there again, Geelong didn't have Roo running around for them either. IMO solid blokes like him need a few years to find their feet and if his health stays fine he'll begin to dominate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just more worried about how much longer the kid can keep this up

At what point are they forced to stop the bloke playing altogether over concerns for his long term health?

Concussions are a major topic in sport science right now, they've realised how damaging these multiple occurrences can affect players over the long term

I was at the gold coast game last year when Paddy went up for a mark along the wing. Collected it then fed off the possession. At this point he walked off the ground and we didn't see him for the rest of the game even though he looked perfectly fine
Concussion rule had him on the bench the rest of the game for something that seemed so inocuious

I feel for the kid and I do wonder how much longer this caper can continue for
You know its weird. The same things happening to Brayshaw who was pick 3.
Highly talented mid but keeps getting concust and cant play seniors. And obviously Racca did his knee in his 1st year. But he's obviously ok now. But not much luck at the top end of that draft.

Maybe the club could arrange the damaged half of the brain to be removed then just maybe Paddy could become the next Dusty Martin . :D

Sorry to hear about his latest head knock. Horrible luck that two of that top three are on the ropes three years in with head injuries. Wish him all the best.

Trying to put myself in Paddy's situation for a minute. I wouldn't be adverse to a fresh start and to be closer to family & old mates. This relates not only to his injury issues & health concerns but also the fact that it looks like Roo will go around again & Paddy is clearly not best 22.

As an observer I wouldn't begrudge him for wanting a change & fresh start.

Would the club be the laughing stock of the competition for selecting him with pick 1 only to let him move clubs for much less compensation than we invested in him? Absolutely. But sometimes you've got to do the right thing for the individual & not buy into public pressure.

Have said this before.....
Put a condition on Paddy that he wears a helmet or doesn't play at all at ANY level.

The club imho should have already had this discussion. Following this latest one a firm stance is needed for him to get out of this predicament.

For those that are expecting Paddy to be dominating league football you're sadly mistaken.

If you want to do an on average stats search you will see that it takes close to 6 years for the big boys to mature into decent league footballers. The scrutiny he is facing is unjust at this time, however, if in another three years he is struggling, then and only then will it be with some validity.

Granted some players step straight into the breach, however, few go onto have lasting success. Our list is in a reasonable state when you consider that we have a strong spine, yet we still lack midfield strength. This year we have two first round picks, and the capacity to secure a free agent. We are tracking along nicely, and the reason we got blown away in those three weeks, was that our game plan was nullified by astute coaches.

The rationale of doubt on our list management is without knowledge of the inner workings of a League football club. These organisations are very different from local clubs and need to be seen as polar in comparison.

Have said this before.....
Put a condition on Paddy that he wears a helmet or doesn't play at all at ANY level.

The club imho should have already had this discussion. Following this latest one a firm stance is needed for him to get out of this predicament.

In the NFL they are a lot more advanced than us with regard to concussions. They've pretty much found that helmets don't help cos it's not the outside layer of the head hitting something that causes the concussion but rather the brain bouncing around in the skull. A helmet does little except to limit exterior lacerations to the head. I think with the greater research & concussion identification we will see many pro sports players careers end prematurely.

The timing of the questions is deeply regrettable, and really should be broken down into separate parts.

Q. Should he be traded as a result of his injuries?
A. No. His injuries are impact. If they had been because of poor preparation, or lack of effort off the park, that would be a different question. There is an issue for the fitness staff with the way he is building muscle mass around his neck and shoulders and there may be an issue for the development coaches about how they prepare his body position in preparation for physical contact. For as long as his interrupted career is down to impact injuries I feel we are obliged to hold on to him until he wants to leave.

Q. Should he be traded as a consequence of not being as good as we think he should be?
A. That really depends on what the return for him would be. At the moment it is probably too early to make that call, but a top 5 pick. (or better) would have to be tempting.

Q. Should we have picked Petracca?
A. Given that part of the logic for picking Paddy was the price of Tom Boyd, the cost of trading in a young key forward, the salary and the trade price are so high. If we had recruited Petracca how much would we need to pay to and for any of Lynch, Hipwood, Daniher, Moore or Cameron in comparison for trading for Kelly? The question of drafting really should be a comparison between Paddy and 2 metre Peter.

Q. If we trade Paddy what then?

Back