Should you tip fast food delivery people in Aus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
What is the protocol? Is it the right thing to do here or is it just a yank thing?
I never quite know whether I should or not, and how much?

I did pizza delivery for a short while about twelve or so years ago and tips were the only thing that made it worthwhile on some nights. At the time I think it was about $7.50/hr + $1.50 or $2.50 per drop (depending on how far away the delivery was from the shop), and I worked at a shop kind of out in the sticks so there were a lot of quiet nights where I might have only done 2-3 deliveries so the tips were a big help.

Actually didn't mind the job as a fair bit of it was just driving around with my stereo cranked, but wouldn't do it now unless the car was owned by the shop.

FWIW I found that the biggest tippers were those who looked like they could afford it least.

I did pizza delivery for a short while about twelve or so years ago and tips were the only thing that made it worthwhile on some nights. At the time I think it was about $7.50/hr + $1.50 or $2.50 per drop (depending on how far away the delivery was from the shop), and I worked at a shop kind of out in the sticks so there were a lot of quiet nights where I might have only done 2-3 deliveries so the tips were a big help.

Actually didn't mind the job as a fair bit of it was just driving around with my stereo cranked, but wouldn't do it now unless the car was owned by the shop.

FWIW I found that the biggest tippers were those who looked like they could afford it least.
Yeah that's what I was wondering. whether pizza drivers for example operated mainly from tips, or do they get the award hourly wage? I know mostly in the states it is tips, but wasn't sure here.

YES

I don't work in the industry but nearly did, they are so illegally under paid it amazes me these pizza shop owners aren't locked up, it's a ******* disgrace

* no. it's not my job to subsidise the margins of small business/franchisees. and i only tip in restaurants for convenience's sake.

and while we're at it, why does tipping only seem to apply to food-related services? nobody else ever quotes you a price and then asks for more. i agree with that cheap bastard in reservoir dogs (i forget which colour he was).

**** no. it's not my job to subsidise the margins of small business/franchisees. and i only tip in restaurants for convenience's sake.

and while we're at it, why does tipping only seem to apply to food-related services? nobody else ever quotes you a price and then asks for more. i agree with that cheap bastard in reservoir dogs (i forget which colour he was).
I kind of agree with this.

My bonus was never paid by clients who were happy with the job.

Cannot imagine asking for more money as a thank you, after completing the job I was paid to do.

But I was making a lot more money than a waiter or pizza delivery guy.

I kind of agree with this.

My bonus was never paid by clients who were happy with the job.

Cannot imagine asking for more money as a thank you, after completing the job I was paid to do.

But I was making a lot more money than a waiter or pizza delivery guy.

yeah, i am definitely not defending the wages of service staff. i just don't think it's my responsibility to do anything about it. i did 8 long years in retail, and no customer ever paid me a little extra to carry that big, *-off BBQ to their car for them. and i didn't expect them to. i expected woolworths-kmart to pay me the wage i signed on for.

I'm a cheapskate - I'll round up to the next note but that's about it.

Last time was 29.90 though - had a $50 (too much), a $20 and a $10.

Poor guy got a 10c tip - even then was offering to give me change.

No, tipping is not customary in Australia. Most pizza shops have a $20 minimum and some even charge for delivery. I would never tip the cashier if I went into a pizza shop and bought one over the counter, so I'm not sure why I would tip the delivery guy. It's not like it's a harder job than working the cashier. You don't have to deal with the same volume of customers if you're driving around in your car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I 'tipped' last week but only because in the moment I didn't feel like making him fumble around for my 50c change.

Usually pay by credit card online.

Absolutely not.

On the subject of underpaying staff, given the 7/11 stuff that has gone on, i think people who are underpaid would at least now know they have somewhere they can go to file a grievance or ask a question

Tipping (in this sense) is unAustralian. Our minimum wage is high enough. It's not like I'd tip in other settings , beyond *keep the change* (you filthy animal)
I'll stick to footy tipping ;)

Don't see anything wrong with it. If you are overly satisfied and/or impressed by by the service i tend to tip. If someone comes to my door frowning and obviously grumpy then i not going to bother. Also it's good way to get rid of some extra coinage.

They are dropping food off at your door, not sure how you could be overly satisfied about such a menial task.

Im not a tight ass so if the bill is $48 im happy to give a fifty and walk away, but id do that with anyone in a non formal situation, im not really tipping i just cbf worrying about a couple bucks here and there

Agree in general with Long Live HFC in that I'm against tipping, but I'll generally let them keep the change, polite taxi drivers too.

There are plenty of people who work harder tougher jobs for less money, just because they don't see the customer directly and give them food they don't get tips. I don't understand the logic.

I got a job at Pizza Hut once. Then I found out they don't pay for fuel. Rang up and quit before my first night. Perfect for a Uni student though or anyone needing something to get by.
I usually say keep the change anywhere from $1-$4. If there's a note involved I usually take that and they can have the rest.

**** no. it's not my job to subsidise the margins of small business/franchisees. and i only tip in restaurants for convenience's sake.

restaurant-tipping-mr-pink.jpg

Mr. Pink!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back