Game Day Showdown 44

Remove this Banner Ad

The vibe from the club is that the players are fired up to have a red hot go.

So, from the start I can hope for a well-organised attacking style where the opposition are under score-board pressure from the start.

But, probably it will be more of the same old boring defensive game plan down the west flank and into the pockets where the players have their mind on defence first so the oppo, mind on attack, are first to the ball then through well-placed team mates they whisk the ball away so that our team are chasing butts all day so their initial zest turns to tiredness then they lose confidence and don't offer themselves to the ball-carrier any more. Any of our forward entries are chaos balls or over Charlie's head or maybe onto Jake's head when surrounded by three oppo. And then the coach blames them for not trying hardery for longery. Then Elspeth and Smithson do their usual. I could go on

I will be there. I want a win, but more importantly I want to see a long term change in club direction from victim-mentality to hard-edged confident winners.
First half was improved but still same old same old, players having a real go and taking the game on without much organisation.

Was waiting for the game to finish at half time though. Couldn't see a win with what was being served up.

Change of game plan in the second half was great. Re-organised at ball ups and throw ins, spread to space well and delivery improved. More composure. Very pleased that Ken et al changed mindset to attack, with a hard edge. So much so that, crazy I know, I was ok that we would lose by a point because I had seen some light at the end of the tunnel for the rest of the year.

So well done Ken & Co, keep it up please.

Really pleased for the players too - you could see they were realy switched on, which should become the norm.

If you dont mind a 10 or 15 min walk the Repco carpark at 187 Franklin Street is where I normally park and there shouldnt be any problem getting a park. Ignore the customers only carpark signs I used to work there and everyone else does. Otherwise if you wanted to park a bit closer theres a paid carkpark at Topham Mall but Ive never parked there so I dont know the situation with that one.
$8 on weekends is good value.

First half was improved but still same old same old, players having a real go and taking the game on without much organisation.

Was waiting for the game to finish at half time though. Couldn't see a win with what was being served up.

Change of game plan in the second half was great. Re-organised at ball ups and throw ins, spread to space well and delivery improved. More composure. Very pleased that Ken et al changed mindset to attack, with a hard edge. So much so that, crazy I know, I was ok that we would lose by a point because I had seen some light at the end of the tunnel for the rest of the year.

So well done Ken & Co, keep it up please.

Really pleased for the players too - you could see they were realy switched on, which should become the norm.

Did the game plan change? It seemed that we were able to execute it better. It was more a change of how we applied the game plan, than coming up with a new one. I may be wrong, though.

At Grêmio's Arena for my second derby of the day!
---
It ended 0-0, with Grêmio having most of the ball, but unable to create good chances.

The atmosphere was great, though!
IMG_20180512_160345510.jpg
And NFL's star Tom Brady was there, as well.:eek: He can finally cut "Grê-Nal" out of his bucket list. :p
IMG_20180512_165006339.jpg
(Not my kids)
---
Here is Brady with Grêmio's president. I am the guy on the left, behind the glass:
5af7564bbd617.jpeg

Last edited:
After a sleep, couple of interesting things about the game:
1. We wasted so much through a lack of composure in the first. We've seen this year that players like S Gray have largely fixed their kicking problems so it was yips not a lack of technique. A lot of times that comes from a lack of confidence. This should be a confidence building win for our boys so if we can actually bring that passion and play with confidence and composure we could get to a level far higher than what we played at last night. It really shows where this club could be once we settle.
2. Been pointed out a bit on the Tinges board, but last 10 free kicks went Port's way. I don't remember them each because I could barely breathe at that point, but it shows that towards the end - we were 3 kicks up, we had the momentum against a fatigued team, we most likely had a fair bit of umpiring help - and STILL we nearly blew it. Fourth quarters simply need to be fixed if we are to be a top team this year and going forward. I understand the need for defensive structures but against a top quality side eventually they will get through them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re-watching the game on TV this morning, we were nowhere near as bad in the first half as it felt we were at the ground.

At half time I spoke to a mate at the ground (I'm watching on tv at home) and he was understandably a bit down and I said to him it's almost there. We're kicking badly and the turnovers are killing us but we're close enough....

It sounds arrogant in hindsight but I thought we were clearly the better side all night and we nearly threw it away.

Up to half time it was really frustrating, we were playing well but bloody kicking points. Crows were very accurate all night. What should have been a 4-5 goal win became a near heartbreaking loss. That last qtr all of Watts, Rockliff and especially Mots did big things. Such a good win for team confidence and well overdue.

Another tall marking option is desperately needed. Marshall coming back is very important.

Thrilled as much as the win to see Todd in the circle singing the song.
Welcome back young man.
His Dad would have been proud the boys got up to give his son some much needed cheer.
BTW, did the crowd do the Marshall chant at 13 minutes?

495606_73a477cf42e91102c6479216b474525e.jpeg

Pity you didn't walk past me you poindexter campaigner I would've said it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th n' 5th time

How did the campaigner last 3 minutes? Personally I would have thought he'd be told to * off wherever he goes and in well under 3 minutes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back