Review Showdown 47 Post Mortem - Port Federers v Adelaide Tomics

Remove this Banner Ad

Kudos to Port, they have shown us how to run and carry. Pyke, your game plan does not work against teams who like to run. We keep dropping players who can run. We don’t have the marking ability to kick and hope. This is poor selection and poor game plan. You’d think last week showed this. And again Atkins...I am not a fan, but I won’t pin this on you.

Handed them that game in the first half.

Port arent any good but they arent that bad that you can afford to kick 4.10 in a half. They will eventually make a side pay if you keep them in it which we did.

Scoreboard pressure missing

I’m off for more wine

Anyone in any doubt now that our carlton pick should not be used on the best mid possible..what a mob of one paced plodders we currently are. I couldn't give a stuff if the club thinks we can win the next 4 games..we need to bring in jones, wilson, fogarty, mchenry when he is available and get himmelberg in...out forever goes mckay & douglas. Then raffle the other spots. Win lose or draw we need to be looking at the young guys on the list

Here’s your autopsy. Bunch of campaigners wanking about. Painful team to follow. Lost plenty on the punt and can stomach that but this team is ******* useless. Hope Gibbs got out of his debt and plonked on the Power. * me dead

Well we are playing 2 men (Douglas and MacKay) done every week.

They say you need to only be a couple of % off in the modern game. 2 of our 22 are pure liabilities and we’re needing to carry Betts most weeks as well. At least he’s a chance to bring a positive performance, the other 2 aren’t and there’s no chance that the coaches don’t know it.

Ha glad to see I'm not the only one deciding to do the post mortem a bit early.

My thoughts.
The amount of times commentators say "where was this in the previous game" when sides play us. That is due to fact we play a totally different game plan to everyone else that lets everyone play that way* Yet the commentators never remark about our different plan.

*provided they can put some pressure on around the ball and on the scoreboard.

Do we ever arrest momentum during a quarter? Would be nice to put some people back and help out that way. Might even get some quick rebounds to give some good delivery into the forwards.

On the forward setup, do we ever want to do a decent job there? God when we're bad we're bad.

The lack of proactivity at clearances. I know we like to turn it into a contest fest but far out, can't we have a second mode, an attacking one?

EDIT: How hard would it to have seen this coming. I mean its an almost identical script to last week. Get 20 points up whilst dominating but the oppo get a few easy ones by us not guarding the corridor to stay in touch. Opposition break even in the contests but start whipping it around, start getting all the clearances, tonnes of pressure on the defense, ball spends heaps of time in their forwardline and when we go forward its useless, no one home and we are just inept at scoring. We score a handful of points and they score 10 plus goals. And we tried what to change it up?

1 goal after half time.

3 goals in the last 3 quarters i think.

Can we just afford some decent fn coaches for once.

I didn't think Douglas or Mackay were too bad. Rat was horrendous. Seedsman pretty bad too. Kelly was good again, having a pretty good seaon.

O'brien getting tired. Would love us try against a weak team to see how running two rucks would go. Whats the bet it would be good?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it last week, we'll never win a flag under Pyke.

Same old same old.

No changes to the structure, zero creativity, no Plan B

2016 and 2017 was our chance and we blew it, but Don Pyke is holding firm to a side that starting to fall off the cliff.

He's Neil Craig mk 2

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Torn up on the outside by a bunch of 10 game players whilst we refuse to drop the corpse of Richard Douglas and the ever useless assortment of pipe cleaners that is David Mackay. We lost this game in round 1 when we decided this was the strategy we'd build the season around.
That said, our players don't care all that much. Nobody stands up to try and spark something when the chips are down and they don't know how to put the foot down and finish the job when they're up either.
At the end of the day we aren't that good, we haven't blooded any youth and the only thing we take into next season is that our core group is another year older and no wiser than they were before.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back