Review Showdown 47 Post Mortem - Port Federers v Adelaide Tomics

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
When you are so confident in your own game plan who cares what the opposition are doing. PYKE is so fixed in his strategy/ the system he can't even notice the serious individual flaws in his players. Ie Douglas.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Golly, bit OTT maybe?

To cover off some of your bits - the initial query related to why did he go so far back: he could not run around to open the angle, which is what he would have done, probably from closer in if still during play. To get any curve on a snap or banana, you usually need some distance. You won't get meaningful curve in 5m. That would be why he went further back.

The point to which I was responding was from later comments regarding the call to play on, immediately ending the quarter with no score. I made the point that the kick didn't score anyway, so that call to play on didn't affect anything. If you can't grasp that disallowing a non-scoring kick didn't have a great effect on the outcome of the game, I'm not sure I can explain it any better.

Regarding the profile pic, yeah, I'd like to say it is a self-portrait, but actually from a TV show that is kinda awesome. I'm sure you do indeed look like an amorphous grey blob though. Weird, subtly homophobic, comment to make when you haven't worked out how to use a computer to change your own.

Very thin stuff dude, but I'll leave you to it.

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's get ready to play them in another showdown final and leave yesterday's result in the bin where it belongs
Remember the last showdown final
Pump them again

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Let's get ready to play them in another showdown final and leave yesterday's result in the bin where it belongs
Remember the last showdown final
Pump them again

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
Sure , lets also write off the Geelong loss because we can pump them again in a Prelim

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still can’t believe how meek we were in that second half. We didn’t give a yelp, we were pathetic.

The problem is now we’ve given them some confidence against us, the doubt built up over our recent domination is gone.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I still can’t believe how meek we were in that second half. We didn’t give a yelp, we were pathetic.

The problem is now we’ve given them some confidence against us, the doubt built up over our recent domination is gone.
13 x I50’s for 1.3 in a half of footy.

I think we’re talking an all time low.

Be interested to know where that sits amongst the most disgusting performances in club history.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
13 x I50’s for 1.3 in a half of footy.

I think we’re talking an all time low.

Be interested to know where that sits amongst the most disgusting performances in club history.
With 1.1 coming in the first 2 minutes.

It was a flogging over the highest order, 10 goal loss in 1 half.

They carved us up and like it was against Geelong, our midfield let it happen in the second half.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
With 1.1 coming in the first 2 minutes.

It was a flogging over the highest order, 10 goal loss in 1 half.

They carved us up and like it was against Geelong, our midfield let it happen in the second half.
Which is why it’s staggering that any recognition at all would go to any of our mids.

13 x I50’s - what an absolute basket case our midfield was.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which is why it’s staggering that any recognition at all would go to any of our mids.

13 x I50’s - what an absolute basket case our midfield was.
I can’t remember what stage it was but I think it was approaching 3/4 time and Sloane had 12 touches. It’s pathetic how easily he gets shut out of a game.

And whilst Hinkley is a dud he’s still smart enough to know that taggers can be a very effective tool.

So what do we do? We allow Gray to win a 5th showdown medal when clearly we know how damaging he can be.

That poster from Essendon who does the stats for centre square stoppages, I hope he does the same this week because I would love to see the stats.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I can’t remember what stage it was but I think it was approaching 3/4 time and Sloane had 12 touches. It’s pathetic how easily he gets shut out of a game.

And whilst Hinkley is a dud he’s still smart enough to know that taggers can be a very effective tool.

So what do we do? We allow Gray to win a 5th showdown medal when clearly we know how damaging he can be.

That poster from Essendon who does the stats for centre square stoppages, I hope he does the same this week because I would love to see the stats.
What kills me about Sloane is that v GWS he gets thrown up forward and kick 2 crucial last quarter goals, and in his presser Pyke says we had to keep him on field because we were down 3 rotations.

But on Saturday do you think we’d see any move at all to help Sloane? Forward , back , wing - anything at all to free him up ?

Nope, just left him there to rot under a hard tag.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What kills me about Sloane is that v GWS he gets thrown up forward and kick 2 crucial last quarter goals, and in his presser Pyke says we had to keep him on field because we were down 3 rotations.

But on Saturday do you think we’d see any move at all to help Sloane? Forward , back , wing - anything at all to free him up ?

Nope, just left him there to rot under a hard tag.

Dangerfield and Fyfe get hard tags every week and don't rely on anyone they deal with it

Mackay on FiveAA at the moment -

"we didn't see that second half coming......"

"um yeah, we got outworked after half time...."

"As a group we don't stand for performances like that, we didn't see it coming. We need to make amends for it it's the only way forward really"
Didn't see it coming? F me dead. The way Port overlapped through the centre square with no resistance in the exact same way every time was like watching the same shitty show on repeat and they didn't see it coming? That speaks volumes. It's like they bowled us short balls all day long and we hit it down deep square leg's throat every single time and then walked off saying "Didn't see that coming."

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You mean the two Brownlow medalists. They are both bigger, better players than Sloane.

Generally most teams best players get tagged whether its Pendlebury, Bonts , Sloane, Mitchell, Danger, Fyfe , Gray

All players need to deal with it and they do, others in the team have jobs to do of their own, sloane has always struggled with a tag its a massive flaw in his game and he needs to work it out

noddy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 21, 2002
Land of the Big Red Cloud
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
/The Bays/Man U
OK, I have read nothing here or any other media, I have but one thing to say.
I am embarrassed! embarrassed to be a supporter, embarrassed for those few boys that tried.
We made port look good with that 2nd half effort, Words cannot cover the disappointment.

I will not look at any media until Thursday night, I will not talk football (gunna be a quiet week) until Thursday night.
And this will be my one and only visit to big footy until Thursday night.

For the next 5 days football is dead to me.

On Thursday there had better be some changes, some direction.

Amen bro.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
from going from winning 6 out of the last 8 now to winning 2 from the last 8. I can only see wins coming against Suns & Saints. Major issues down there cos we have almost a full list to pick from but we are not getting results. If we miss the 8 Pyke cant go on coaching us.. If he goes Campo and Hart need to go as well. We had our shot at a flag and blew it so its time to get rid of the ghosts of 2017 and have a clean out. time for a rebuild and time to get rid of those 30 and over. Round 1 next year Mchenry, Jones, Pick 2, Fogarty, Stengle & Butts need to be in our best 22. time to play them

OK, I have read nothing here or any other media, I have but one thing to say.
I am embarrassed! embarrassed to be a supporter, embarrassed for those few boys that tried.
We made port look good with that 2nd half effort, Words cannot cover the disappointment.

I will not look at any media until Thursday night, I will not talk football (gunna be a quiet week) until Thursday night.
And this will be my one and only visit to big footy until Thursday night.

For the next 5 days football is dead to me.

On Thursday there had better be some changes, some direction.
Brave making your comeback day selection night.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brave making your comeback day selection night.

It could be the most entertaining selection night in a decade or more. It would appear as though alot of Crows supporters have had enough. I'm surprised with how quiet this board is. Five years ago a loss like that would have sent this board into full meltdown.

Last edited:

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
from going from winning 6 out of the last 8 now to winning 2 from the last 8. I can only see wins coming against Suns & Saints. Major issues down there cos we have almost a full list to pick from but we are not getting results. If we miss the 8 Pyke cant go on coaching us.. If he goes Campo and Hart need to go as well. We had our shot at a flag and blew it so its time to get rid of the ghosts of 2017 and have a clean out. time for a rebuild and time to get rid of those 30 and over. Round 1 next year Mchenry, Jones, Pick 2, Fogarty, Stengle & Butts need to be in our best 22. time to play them

If Pyke stays he will choose his assistants if there is a new coach of any substance he will also choose his assistants

I agree rebuild time, but it wont happen, we will win a few now we have our easy games, fire us up again before coming back to earth

But you do need to be in it to win it I suppose

Back