Review Showdown 49 - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

How good were the 5 repeat efforts by SPP leading up to Rozee's goal in the last quarter? I reckon he gets the prison bars #35 at training this week

In the second quarter every time the ball was bombed in to Adelaide's F50, I could faintly hear someone screaming "TEX WALKER" from up in the nosebleeds.

I guess they stopped once they realised Walker was AWOL.

How's that 100 goal season looking?

Good win overall. I wanted players to stand up in the second half and they did. Marshall, Georgiades, and Motlop all got more involved and Georgiades in particular looked ominous. Fantasia kept missing which is frustrating but heck he creates opportunities, and we like players that are willing to take the responsibility of shots on goal.

I think our midfield still looks very shaky past Boak and Wines, Robbie definitely still has it in bursts but we need others to show a lot more. Drew, SPP, Houston and Rozee all are decent midfielders already but hopefully they can really find improvement and cohesion by the end of the year.

Our defence was fantastic just every one of them. Aliir Aliir the standout but I think they all had great games, even Hartlett who I’ve been very disappointed with. I’m really excited for Bergman, Jones and Frederick’s prospects learning alongside what is a very, very strong defensive group.

I feel hopeful our forwards can improve over the course of the season, but I think they are underperforming at the moment for sure. Georgiades is an excitement machine though! I can’t believe the impact he is having on games already!!

I thought Boak was BOG, and a deserving showdown medalist. His first half was honestly stunning, he looked a class above.

I also really like Aliir Aliir’s game. The number of intercept marks he takes is ludicrous and he uses the ball brilliantly too. A genius recruit really, especially since he is the kind of player we hate playing against.

Farrell I thought worked into the game well and had a great impact. That goal was sublime! I really hope we see more of that from him as when he started he was a total deadeye but has been a little off this season.

Excluding Allir and, because he was solid down back and did more than his job and Frederick who only played 1 quarter. Crows had 12 players below every one of our players. I guess to be fair McHenry and Murphy only played one quarter.

At half time, I didn't know what to make of the game. We were obliterating them but making a lot of errors and weren't capitalizing on the score board as well as we should have. If it counts, they had two goals from frees, and one from a lucky bounce, and I believe one from a turnover.

I couldn't think of a game where we completely dominated the opposition without hitting the scoreboard. It was great to fight on through to the end. I think if we were a bit more refined with our skills we would have won by 100 points. In clean conditions, more.

Scrappy game, but given everyone seemed to fumble the ball I won't read too much into it.

Lycett frustrated me. Surely by now you know not to throw a guy to the ground. Gotta be smarter than that. There was no need for him to do it.

1620498180391.png

Bank the 4. The dare and flare will need to be found again v Bulldogs. Slow Kicking down the line will be not good enough against a highly structured unit. We miss Butters. Rozee is yet to have the high impact in the middle. So happy to see SPP back. His intensity is massive. But we need someone to step up in the midfield. Boak, Wines and Drew are the grunt. But we need speed, quick hands and line breakers.

Thought Georgiades and Marshall were fantastic in the 3rd to break game open. Charlie looks lost. Only a matter of time before Fantasia kicks 5 or 6. Hope next week. Aliir has been fantastic.

Apologies for being off-topic but I heard some music last night @ the game and I feel compelled to try to track it down. It was after the players had entered but before NTUA. It had words like "World" and "Time" in the chorus and I'm pretty sure there was thunder. I've found the players playlists but the Oval does not seem to have any online record of music played. Is there any way of finding out?

It was almost as big as Billy Framptons when he kicked a goal on the siren to end the quarter when he team was in a no win situation.

#embarrasing

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
It was quite strange at the end of that game because Billy actually spent a lot of time speaking to the Port players. He was also in deep conversation with Chad. Perhaps getting some info. With Billy’s new allegiances, it didn’t look good for him

Last edited:
Apologies for being off-topic but I heard some music last night @ the game and I feel compelled to try to track it down. It was after the players had entered but before NTUA. It had words like "World" and "Time" in the chorus and I'm pretty sure there was thunder. I've found the players playlists but the Oval does not seem to have any online record of music played. Is there any way of finding out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To win by 49 playing like that is very good. Not much to take out of that game except maybe that the locker room tickets are not worth the money paid, luckily these were free for a bunch of us. Will take free food and beer any time. Ebo paid us a visit which was good and Barry Curtin happily stuffed his face with food.

Look at these weak campaigners going at Lycett crow supporters feral campaigners View attachment 1122111View attachment 1122112
These kind of **** comments need to be out of the game. The EPL had a social media freeze last weekend for this reason, it's about time rubbish like this was better regulated. It was a poor tackle, likely to result in suspension. It doesn't deserve this kind of commentary. There's a human being doing his job reading that about himself ☹️

All the manufactured media hype (actually comes across like paid advertising) around the crows kids does not hide the fact the majority of them aren't going to be anything more than honest toilers.
Walker is still trash, and they're probably already looking into how they might be able to pension Sloane off to a Victorian club while "only" having to pay half his salary.
Special mention to Todd Marshall. Watching the replay when I got home, Tom Doedee sledged him like a child after dropping a mark in the forward pocket early. Marshall just ignored it, Doedee continued yapping at him, Marshall ignored it, and then Marshall continued on with his business and played a great hand in a win while Doedee was responsible for giving up a few goals with poor defending. He showed the sort of class guys like Hamish should take note of the next time someone like Mitch Robinson decides to get in their face.

Although it wasn't a high quality game, it was probably never going to be given the conditions and the opposition's desire not to be flogged, I thought we were good.

Crows were better than they have been in recent weeks, apart from Ted who was blanketed out of it. No Ted, no Crows.

Aliir enormous particularly in Q1. Defence generally well structured - in the second they had 17 i50s for 2 points. Talls kicked 7 between them and all impacted. Boak, Wines, Drew through midfield all reliable.

Fanta would have been BOG if he'd had 5.1 instead of 1.5, I love him in the team.

If there was a weakness I think it was across HF, there seemed to be breakdowns there regularly. Bonner and Duursma will help there.

These kind of **** comments need to be out of the game. The EPL had a social media freeze last weekend for this reason, it's about time rubbish like this was better regulated. It was a poor tackle, likely to result in suspension. It doesn't deserve this kind of commentary. There's a human being doing his job reading that about himself ☹
Anyone sending abusive messages to a player/official needs to have their social media accounts shut down, and to be banned from attending sports matches (at Adelaide Oval and all other venues).

I hope Taj and Jackson will be as good as their dads, and I hope young Rowe will be as good as his. Seems like that's going to be about right
Taj goes alright. He needs to watch and try to emulate Zak Butters. He has some of Butters traits and skills, just needs to demonstrate similar courage and hardness and he’ll make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back